PDA

View Full Version : Am thinking about buying Track-IR, but have a few questions.

rijnton1944
01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
I am considering to buy a Track-IR, but would like to know:
1) Is it worth the money, because imo it would only be usable for games and I don't know if I keep interested in games in the future.
2} Is the Vector Expansion and the special cap needed and/or advisable ?
3} Is it difficult to use ? I mean: is it necessary and/or hard to have to move your head in a controlled way ?

rijnton1944
01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
I am considering to buy a Track-IR, but would like to know:
1) Is it worth the money, because imo it would only be usable for games and I don't know if I keep interested in games in the future.
2} Is the Vector Expansion and the special cap needed and/or advisable ?
3} Is it difficult to use ? I mean: is it necessary and/or hard to have to move your head in a controlled way ?

LStarosta
01-17-2005, 01:49 PM
1) Yes.

2) Yes and No. You don't need it in the strictest sense of the word, (read IL2:FB). You can use it without the vector expansion just fine. It's just that you will be able to pan your view and not move it forwards or backwards or from side to side. (Note, this is for other flight sims with Vector Expansion support. IL2 currently does not have this feature.)

3) It is difficult to use at first and requires a period of adjustment. If you don't ***** out and if you stick with it, it will be the most rewarding experience you can have as far as flight sims go. Trust me, you won't want to play IL2:FB without a TrackIR.

-HH- Beebop
01-17-2005, 01:54 PM
What LStarosta said.

If you drive racing sims it will be of tremendous advantge.
If you play FPS games or any game with First Person View, it will free you from keeping a hand on the mouse.

There is a learning curve, I'm still in it, but it's really nice having the freedom to look around without using hat/snap/pan/mouse views.
Get it, you'll like it.

SithSpeeder
01-17-2005, 01:56 PM
1) Only you can decide if it's worth the money and if you'll stay interested in "games in the future." I love flight sims so it's worth every penny to me.
2) Vector expansion is not needed for IL2 or FB or AEP or PF as it is unsupported. But for Maddox's next release BoB, it is planned to be supported. The special cap is optional as well.
3) It takes about 3 or 4 sessions to get used to the motion, and about 2 weeks or so for it to become natural. It's not difficult but it takes some time to train yourself to move your head in a way that agrees with the system.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

slarsson
01-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Occasionally, I forget to start up trackir before I start up IL2.......that's when I realise how natural it's become, and how much I miss it when it isn't available

Vacillator
01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
I only have TIR2 so no vectoring here, but what I have got is brilliant. No regrets from day one, adds so much to awareness and immersion in the game. Get one and give it a fair go (by which I mean experiment with the settings / profile to suit your own use). I started with TOAD's advice and went from there. If I lost it tomorrow I'd buy another one tomorrow...

PS slarsson, I was on your Island in September. Stayed near Tofino and then in Victoria. Very nice.

Lav69
01-17-2005, 04:15 PM
1) YES
2) NO
3) At first yes, somewhat, then no not at all

WTE_Galway
01-17-2005, 06:44 PM
setup properly with practice its unbeatable

knightgames_01
01-17-2005, 08:25 PM
Only you can answer the first question. I find it invaluable and couldn't enjoy IL2 any where near as much as I do.

#2s been answered well already.

Don't let yourself be intimidated. You only have to keep your head as still as you would reading a magazine in a moving vehicle....sans the annoying carsickness.

I WON'T fly a flight sim without Track IR support. It becomes THAT natural. I am in my cockpit flying, scouting, ready to pounce and be pounced.

When flying without it, I am IN a game. The action to view around my airplane is SO mechanical it removes ALL suspension of disbelief.

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track...you never go back.

RevvinUK
01-18-2005, 04:13 AM
You'll wonder how you ever played without it! The Vector add-on does'nt work in IL-2/PF but it feels like it tracks my movement better anyway with the Vector attachment on my cap but that may just be the improvement from going from TrackIR2 to TrackIR3 Pro. I did'nt find it that difficult to use and it surprises me the number of people that say it took them some time to get used to it.

MO_JOJO
01-18-2005, 05:07 AM
It looks like the hat would save you from having to stick those dots all over your head. Isn't that right?

Also, is there an advantage of TIR3 over TIR2 in IL2-PF?

Thanks to all you guys who know this stuff and help us out. I really appreciate the decency displayed here.

RevvinUK
01-18-2005, 06:04 AM
I used to have a haedband attached to my headphones with a four leaf clover type arrangement of four dots on it. When I bought myself a 7.1 speaker setup I used one of the square reflective patches on the peak of a baseball cap I had laying around and found it seemed to work better. I have found the range of the TrackIR3 Pro is a lot better than my TrackIR2.

BaggyPantz
01-18-2005, 06:39 AM
Santa Claus was very nice and got me a pro3 for xmas, just beginning to get used to it now, didn't take as long to get used to it as I thought.

First time out of the box it feels wierd, and a little sea sick, and caused much hilarity for my flat mate (don't go out for milk with a piece of card with silver spots on attached to your specs, get some funny looks ...).

You also realise how much you subconciously move your head while you're playing the game !

One of the best bits of kit i've got, definately worth every penny/cent

--------------------------------------------------

-HH-Quazi
01-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Get some Dramamine tablets. I got a little/lot air sick. I wussied out and stuck with the hat switch, and I am ok with that. Some m8's can stand it, some can't. I feel like if there was a sensation of gravity, I probably could hang. But we can't have it all when we are bound to earth sitting in a chair and flying at 10,000 ft. But, if you can stand it, and get used to it, it is awesome.

AWL_Spinner
01-18-2005, 08:38 AM
As one of the posters has said above, once you have it, if you inadvertantly start FB without having first loaded the TrackIR application it feels impossibly restrictive. Immediate quit and restart, in my case.

Even the simplest of things, like flying a circuit for landing, become a joy with TrackIR.

I gather it can be hard to get used to, for me it took a day (and then only until I'd found a decent profile that suited me). And I still have a crappy version one device!

Just to throw a little anecdote in here - I had the good fortune to get taken up for an aerobatics sortie in a Nanchang CJ6 whilst on holiday in New Zealand. When the chap pulled the aircraft up into a loop, moving my head back to find a reference ground feature when inverted was already second nature thanks to extensive TrackIR use...

rijnton1944
01-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks for your replies. You have convinced me.I have just ordered the TrackIR3Pro ( without the Vector Expansion etc. for the time being).
Hope it arrives soon.