PDA

View Full Version : Simple complex engine management for F6F and F4U?

Fireball_
04-29-2007, 08:48 PM
We've got a group of four or five guys that flies multiplayer once or twice a week. For our "serious" flying we normally fly the F6F and F4U. We'd like to give some of the Hyperlobby servers a try, but one thing that has scared us off is that most of the servers use complex engine management. We've always had enough other problems trying to stay in the air, so we've always flown with that turned off.

I've done some exploring about CEM, and found that it's called "complex" for a reason. But what I'm trying to do is come up with some "simple complex engine management" procedures. Some approximations that maybe won't squeeze every last knot of airspeed out of the planes, but will at least be good enough to keep us in the game.

My starting point for information was the Specific Engine Flight Charts for the F6F and the F4U. They're definitely complex, and I don't how accurately they're modeled in the sim:

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/F6F/SEFC.pdf
http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/Images/F4U/F4USEC.GIF

I also read through this CEM introduction at airwarfare.com:

http://airwarfare.com/mediawiki-1.4.5/index.php?title=C.E.M._Introduction

So anyway here's what I've come up with so far:

Mixture: For the F6F and F4U there are just two settings in the game: 100% and 120%. Unless someone knows some in-game advantage to using 120%, we'll just stick with 100% all the time. One less thing to worry about.

RPM/Manifold Pressure (all altitudes):

-WEP: 2700/60
-Takeoff: 2700/54
-Military Power: 2700/52.5
-Rated Power: 2550/49.5
-Max Cruise Power: 2150/34

Supercharger: F6F and F4U have three settings. AKA_Tagart recently did some tests with the F6F-3 and found that optimally the setting should be changed at 5,700 ft and 16,250 ft. His tests were done at WEP power. I guess we'll use these altitudes for all power settings.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/4361081155/p/1

One big question none of this answers is what to do when you're actually engaged in combat, particularly in a dogfight where you're constantly diving and climbing. Do you just put it at full power and max RPM and leave it there? What about the supercharger settings as you scream back and forth through the transition altitudes?

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on any of this. Maybe I'm still over-complicating the whole thing.

VW-IceFire
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
I think you're over-complicating it. Just go and fly with CEM on and see what its like. Its really nothing at all. I figured out the basics in a couple of go's at it...been fine tuning what I know and understand ever since (3 years) so its not a complete walk in the park but you can still jump in and get rolling. You may be shocked to know that allot (I'm consistently surprised) of pilots online don't have keys mapped to change supercharger stages or fuel mixture settings at all.

Regarding throttle management in a fight...no I don't tend to leave it at 100% or 110%...I tend to be tweaking it up and down as required. Its often spent in the 85%-110% range a fair bit but not all the time. Sometimes it depends on how fast you want to be in a dive for instance or what kind of control you want in a hammerhead (not sure why you'd be in one but it has happened to me) or any other kind of stall situation which can happen in certain types of combat.

R_Target
04-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Remembering to switch the Supercharger is the main thing. As for MP, I would baby it when possible, but use it if you need it. Mixture I never mess with anymore, because it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Roblex
04-29-2007, 11:45 PM
Mixture can be left alone for the most part. The only time you might play with it was if you were running low on fuel and needed to run a bit leaner to get home. The manual says you can run rich to get more power during take-off but I think the in-game consensus is that it is not really modelled.

Prop pitch can be useful. At one end you can aid your take-off (and it also helps slow you on approach) and the other end will improve your top speed at cruise or in a dive.
In combat you would normally have it 100% most of the time, possibly adjusting for a better dive speed when needed but you would not normally fiddle with it during the short dives & climbs of combat.

The supercharger is set purely by altitude. You would adjust it as you climb through the different levels and should really adjust it again if you dive down and start fighting down low.

The only complication is knowing when to change supercharger on each different aircraft but if you are only flying F6F & F4U then it is easier to remember.

The bottom line is that you dont *need* to adjust any of these three. You won't blow up if you don't alter them, you just wont get the full performance out of your engine.