PDA

View Full Version : The best war film ever made - period.

p-11.cAce
10-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I had fun with this in another forum and wanted to see what happened here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
The Thin Red Line is, hands down, the single greatest war film ever made; in fact it is in my opinion one of the best films of any genre. I have watched this film countless times and am still awestruck by the power of its story, cinematography, and score. Within this one film we see the deep trancendental nature of human experience - how each of us choses to live out our lives as we walk the "thin red line" between sanity and insanity. This film is not a semi-historic docu drama like SPR or an idiotic toon like Pear Harbor. This film is the thinking mans war film - a movie which reaches deep into your gut and makes you ask yourself which one of these men would I have been? How would I have dealt with those choices? Where do we cross the line from the nobility of the warrior to the lowliness of the savage? Hans Zimmer is the Vivaldi of our times and his score reaches into your soul from the first opening scenes and does not let go until the screen darkens after the last credits have scrolled. There are war films that have better battle scenes(not many), and many that are just silly testosterone thrill rides; but when taken as a whole none even comes close to the power and perfection of this film.

PBNA-Boosher
10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I saw this movie a few years back and really liked it. It's not about the war.

It's about the people who fought the war, only it's set IN the war.

Professor_06
10-13-2005, 08:42 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Casablance, Deerhunter, Apocalypes Now, Stalag 13, Great Escape. many more that are even better. Thin Red is cheesey IMO. But one mans cheese is another mans Mana.

Daiichidoku
10-13-2005, 08:43 PM
you need to see more war movies

try the original version (1930) of "all quiet on the western front" for starters

mole_boy
10-13-2005, 08:47 PM
try Gallipoli, brilliant movie, a classic in oz

Jungmann
10-13-2005, 08:50 PM
My favorite war movie--They Were Expendable, PT boats in the Phillipines in the war's first months. And the Duke is in it.

Cheers

zombiewolf92553
10-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:

try the original version (1930) of "all quiet on the western front" for starters

Right on very slow but very good depiction.
2 of my favorites are...
"To Hell and Back" with and about Audy Murphy
anf one of my favotite Gary Cooper movies "Sgt York"(High Noon great western)

Bearcat99
10-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah the original ACOTWF was good... I thought We Were Soldiers is also one of the best war movies ever made myself. You saw the war from the perspective of the soldiers.... the loved ones back home.... and tmost importantly the men who had to send these guys to thier deaths.... I like the way the movie didnt demonize or glorify anyone... it made them all human. You know what they say aboyt opinions.

WarWolfe_1
10-13-2005, 09:12 PM
I think that "Band of Brothers" was for historical reasons, the Greatest. Very well made and very acurate as well. If you haven't seen it, Go rent it or even better go buy the book!

shotdownski
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
In no particular order...

The Caine Mutiny (almost as good as the book)
Das Boote (as good as the book)
The Cruel Sea (as good as the book)
12 O'clock High (is there a book?)
Apocalypse Now (haven't yet read "Heart of Darkness")

ElAurens
10-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Lawrence of Arabia

Das Boot

Zulu

3.JG51_BigBear
10-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Full Metal Jacket

fraidycat1
10-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Dont remember the exact name, Enemy whithin the gates, i think, and Battle of Britan are my favorites

CapBackassward
10-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by fraidycat1:
Dont remember the exact name, Enemy whithin the gates, i think, and Battle of Britan are my favorites

Yeah! Enemy at the Gates - recent classic for sure. We can't forgot 'Bridge over the River Kwai' either.

Rick

blakduk
10-13-2005, 09:31 PM
Best war films IMHO:

Thin Red Line
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
Dark Blue World
Stalingrad

Good but fundamentally flawed:
Saving Private Ryan (if the sentimental BS had been removed it would have been great- the opening scenes were brilliant)
Battle of Britain (hopeless narrative but lots of aeroplanes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)

Best Miniseries:
Band of Brothers
Piece of Cake

Jagdgeschwader2
10-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Some of my favorites.

Das Boot

AQOTWF

The Longest Day

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers

The Blue Max

12 O'Clock High

And just for fun.
Force 10 from Navorone

http://home.earthlink.net/~jagdgeschwader26/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/jagdgeschwader2s.jpg

hobnail
10-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Pearl Harbour.

muhahahhaahha!

(at this moment, men in white coats burst into Hobnail's Unabomber-esque shack and administer sedation by way of wooden truncheon)

But seriously some not yet mentioned:

Patton (G C Scott's master-role and the best war biopic ever IMHO)
Catch 22
Breaker Morant (for us dominion troops)

fordfan25
10-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by WarWolfe_1:
I think that "Band of Brothers" was for historical reasons, the Greatest. Very well made and very acurate as well. If you haven't seen it, Go rent it or even better go buy the book!

if you mean the HBO mini series then i agree. very well done.

fordfan25
10-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by fraidycat1:

enemy at the gates. about stalingrade and the snipers?

Silenmtium
10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Personally I really love the open scene of "Saving Private Ryan" for the sole reason that the look is based on Robert Capa's Photographs of the event.

XyZspineZyX
10-13-2005, 11:18 PM
There are some very good ones out there, some of my favorites are

Stalingrad
Enemy at the gates
Aces High
The Blue Max
Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Apocalypse Now

VerminatorX
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
I like dasriech's list.. and I must say the the Thin Red Line was by far the worst war movie I have ever seen, hehe.

IL2-chuter
10-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Agree with above. Thin Red Line was almost too much to sit through, unrelenting psychomatrix in a situation and, admittedly God-forsaken, place that was in reality pretty well understood by the real participants, but I couldn't believe it wouldn't get better . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif . . . what a disappointment. I'm not happy with anything I guess, saw almost all of Band of Brothers, simply bored with it. I'm just too critical.

More games, I say . . . http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Zjoek
10-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Bearcat99:
I thought We Were Soldiers is also one of the best war movies ever made myself. You saw the war from the perspective of the soldiers.... the loved ones back home.... and tmost importantly the men who had to send these guys to thier deaths.... I like the way the movie didnt demonize or glorify anyone... it made them all human. You know what they say aboyt opinions.

Hrm have to disagree here.. I think it really glorified the war. Especially the part where the soldier dies, his last words being: "I'm proud to have died for my country..".. Battle scenes were really something though!

...The napalm effects are quite gruesome though.

(We are talking about the Mel Gibson flick, right? I get confused sometimes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)

My favorites:
Braveheart (!!! All time favorite. The topic was just about war movies right? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Gladiator
Das Boot (Tonight on the telly. I'm staying home tonight)
Saving Private Ryan (I like the whole: "Why the hell are we here?" attitude. Fubar. Classic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)
Band of brothers (not a film but.. well...)
Enemy at the Gates

Worst:
Windtalkers (ugh! In the last scene, mr. Cage lies on a hill, shot five times, shooting his pistol at the oncoming japanese. More japanese fall down than he shoots.)

Pearl Harbour (though I like the way they made the planes fly around ^_^)

Von_Rat
10-14-2005, 01:19 AM
when trumpets fade

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Why hasnt anyone mentioned "Winter war" yet? And also i think finnish war movies in general belongs to the top list. The original "Tuntematon sotilas" from 1955 (Unknown soldier)..... and "Rukaj√¬§rven tie" was surprisingly good.

I also liked "Dark blue world" and "Aces High" (1976)

Udidtoo
10-14-2005, 01:41 AM
Until the usual crowd arrives I shall do my best to stand in for them as per the typical reaction to this question.

memememe " Hollywood hate hate hate blah blah Tom Cruise Hate bla blah blah hate hate hate Battle of Britain and Hollywood really hate blah blah blah American audience and Tom Cruise +Hollywood Retch!and blah and blah and retch blah blah blah revisionists blah blah hate hate blah hate, Tom blah ignorant blah blah blah history blah blah won the war blah blah hate hate triple hate blah.

That about covers it. Oh yes, Toss up between Band of Brothers and Dark Blue World.

msalama
10-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Das Boot. Be sure.

Dolemite-
10-14-2005, 02:03 AM
This must be a joke topic, the thin red line?

thefarb2
10-14-2005, 02:05 AM
breaker morant, paths of glory.

kidneuro
10-14-2005, 02:09 AM
My favourites:

1. The Thin Red Line
2. Band of Brothers
3. Enemy at he Gates
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Das Boot
6. Platoon
7. Full Metal Jacket
8. Cross of Iron
9. Tora Tora Tora
10. AQOTWF

And the worst - in my opinion:

Windtalkers
We were soldiers
Pearl Harbour

christopher65
10-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Nobodys mentioned "The Cruel Sea" or "Guns of Navaronne",two of my favourites.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

HotelBushranger
10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Scheindlers list anyone? Thats a great movie IMO: the final scene (in which he leaves, in a sort of honour guard by his Jews) is extremely powerful.

The hands down winner is the 70s miniseries ANZAC. That is bloody wonderful stuff. Every single episode (3 of em) is flawless, absolutely flawless. The final one is especially chokey...

dazza9806482
10-14-2005, 02:23 AM
There is a few excellent contenders already mentioned.

personally my favourite is full metal jacket, and i think it stands it juxtaposition with We Were Soldiers.

the later is truely dreadful,flag waving, jingoistic and terribly hackneyed.

Thin Red Line doesnt really get a look in either.

Deerhunter again is fantastic and the reason these films stand up is the realisim of the characters. Soliders were heroic, but they were also like us. some were decent, some were bad to the core or traumatised and brutalised by war.

in terms of special effects Black Hawk Down is amazing, but again in terms of a lop sided view it is also amazing. the best bit was when it listed the names of the soldier who died in Mogadishu. and then after that '1000 Somalis also died.' throughout the film they were portrayed as dark shade wearing 'baddies'.

not that im criticising the heroisim of the US in this instance. I think somalia stands as one the many admirable attempts by the US at intervention. and the story of the soldiers in that film is heartrending and astoundingly heroic. i just thought that the somalis were portrayed as one dimensional and pantomine evil guys and that jarred slightly.

same as private ryan, excellent throughout,but the one german they encounter they spare and he later reappears as a genocidal waffen ss. seems a little off kilter.

not american bashing by the way, i still have the utmost respect for america. but i suppose hollywood demands its baddies and identifiable uncomplicated targets

leadbaloon
10-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Rambo III

ploughman
10-14-2005, 02:31 AM
Recent offerrings - Master and Commander: Far Side of the World by reknown skippy director Peter Weir, he of Gallipoli fame, is a very fine film indeed. Blackhawk Down, although a much lesser film in many ways, doesn't suck either and the only bit that jars with me is Ridley's insistence on having Jimmy Hendrix as background music to the helos launching. I think he was having an Apocalypse Now moment myself.

I love lots of those old black and whites like Ice Cold in Alex, and the Cruel Sea, that are more people than plot driven.

The Thin Red Line was a little odd in places, but the actual combat sequences are almost verbatim from the James Jones book. Having read the book since seeing the film I think I'll view it in a different light next time I watch it.

Battle of Britain, one of the best scores a film could have with the possible exception of Gladiator.

Patton. It's got George C. Scott in it. What more do you want?

Das Boot. Germans know how to make U-boats and films about U-boats.

Daiichidoku
10-14-2005, 02:40 AM
ok, now that youve experienced the stunning AQOTWF, (yes, i hope you did see the 1930 original, not the 79 made-for-tv 1979 remake featuring "john-boy" walton)

give that to a close friend to watch, and now go and secure a copy of kurosawa's 1985 mostly-shot-in-alberta, canada RAN...you wont find a better pic at revealing the world of feudal japans intrigue, war tech and tactics, a few sieges, and several good ole swirling melees involving a cast of thousands...spectacular, backed up with kruosawas directing AND screenplay

while your at it, try what the "magnificent 7" was based on, but falls woefully short of...kurosawas 1960 "the seven samurai"...nor really a "war" pic,....but you wont care..

in fact, by now your bloods boiling for kurosawa...sate it with the mesmerizing "rashomon" from 1950 (no, not a jamaican guy with a skin disorder http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif )

not sure if theyres dubbed copies...but get subtitles, the actors voices' inflection really do impart of lot....

ImpStarDuece
10-14-2005, 03:00 AM
At the moment My DVD collection of WW2 films is;

Thin Red Line
The Longest Day
A Bridge Too Far
Tora Tora Tora
Das Boot
Target For Tonight (he he he)
Dark Blue World
Band of Brothers (serise)

and I'm looking for

Big Red One,
Guns of Navarone
Battle of Britain
The Cruel Sea (fantastic book BTW)
Catch 22 (another brilliant read)

Thin Red Line is good, but I don't think that most people would consider it the 'best' war flm ever. Mostly because the film is more about mans ability to commit great acts of evil and courage and how war brings that out, rather than the usual glorification of struggle and victory. It is probably a bit too philisophical to sit in the genre well, and has no real set piece climax, but sort of peters out in a serise of diminuendos.

For me, Saving Private Ryan was a great visual experiance, but far too schmatlzy. Enemy at the Gates was a little too 'happy ending' and riddled with historical innacuracies.

Votes for the worst WW2 films have to go to Pearl Harbour, WindTalkers (Mr Woo: WHY??), U-571 and roughly half of the John Wanye movies ever made http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by Ploughman:
I love lots of those old black and whites like Ice Cold in Alex, and the Cruel Sea, that are more people than plot driven.

Oh forgot the old ones, though many are pure propaganda movies made during the war i find them interesting from that point of view. For example i like "12 o'clock high" with Gregory Peck. It shows the horrors of war without actually showing ppl getting blown to bits. Quite unusual, even today.

blindpugh
10-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by p-11.cAce:
I had fun with this in another forum and wanted to see what happened here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
The Thin Red Line is, hands down, the single greatest war film ever made; in fact it is in my opinion one of the best films of any genre. I have watched this film countless times and am still awestruck by the power of its story, cinematography, and score. Within this one film we see the deep trancendental nature of human experience - how each of us choses to live out our lives as we walk the "thin red line" between sanity and insanity. This film is not a semi-historic docu drama like SPR or an idiotic toon like Pear Harbor. This film is the thinking mans war film - a movie which reaches deep into your gut and makes you ask yourself which one of these men would I have been? How would I have dealt with those choices? Where do we cross the line from the nobility of the warrior to the lowliness of the savage? Hans Zimmer is the Vivaldi of our times and his score reaches into your soul from the first opening scenes and does not let go until the screen darkens after the last credits have scrolled. There are war films that have better battle scenes(not many), and many that are just silly testosterone thrill rides; but when taken as a whole none even comes close to the power and perfection of this film. trolling!!

XyZspineZyX
10-14-2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Von_Rat:
when trumpets fade

I forgot about that one Von Rat, that was about the US GIs just before the battle of the bulge & I believe it is simply on of the best underrated war films I have ever seen, The flame thrower attack on the 88 position made my skin crawl

pacettid
10-14-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Hamburger Hill. I have always thought this film did a good job of capturing the hell of Vietnam and "we fight for each other" theme, that anyone who has been in combat knows very well.

Was also surprised that no one mentioned Zulu...awesome film!

As for The Thin Red Line, I thought it wasn't worth the price of admission.

LStarosta
10-14-2005, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

Which sorta makes it war-related, hence... about the war...

Durrr

Personally, I'm a great fan of Pearl Harbor... Ben Affleck is such an awesome actor...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Clan_Graham
10-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Downfall
Braveheart

-HH-Dubbo
10-14-2005, 05:06 AM
"Churchill : The Hollywood Years"

Be sure. Look...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359078/

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I forgot another one: Sergeant York (with Gary Cooper). Turkey shooting pacifist hillbilly sent to fight the germans. Propaganda movies at its best http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
http://www.nndb.com/films/504/000032408/york-1.JPG

Vipez-
10-14-2005, 05:39 AM
Hmm, I never understood why Patton was and is considered such a great War movie..It won 7 oscars (or more?), but again proves how the Oscars are sometimes given - by luck http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Patton was very.. interesting character yes, but by making a war movie and for one using wrong equipment (Germans using american Chaffees for example painted in grey, Heinkels doings low level Jabo-attacks, and strafing etc etc ).. small things like these really struck in my eye..It tells me the director has not gone deep into the subject by atleast using real equipment that was actually used, or atleast attempting to modify extant equipment to resemble the real stuff.. For example, atleast Steven Spielberg built his own "Tiger" out of a Russian T-34.. still it looked nothing like the real thing in Saving Private Ryan, but atleast he tried to mask it as real Tiger http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

My favourites:
-Das Boot
-Winter War
-All quiet on the western front
-Tuntematon Sotilas (Unknown Soldier) the first version black&white.. really recommend to watch this..
-Schindler's List
- Der Untergang
- Platoon
- Cross of Iron

I also though The Pianist was good..

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Vipez, something tells me you wouldnt like "Fighter squadron" then. The americans fly P-47s and the germans.... P-51s. Lol.

IHI.OuTcAsT
10-14-2005, 05:52 AM
The Thin red line is probably the worst I have ever seen. They tried to make smart dialogs/thinkings but they came out so unrealistic and so stupid.

Best for me is Full Metal Jacket. Also Downfall (if you consider it warmovie) was awesome.

Enemy at the gates is probably the best "normal film" warmovie. You know with love/deaths/casualties/happyend etc etc

p-11.cAce
10-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Das Boot, AQOTWF, and The Blue Max are among my favorites as well. Supposedly there is a new wwI moview in production now that for a release next year - a friend of mine sent me an article from Aerodrome airplanes in Holden Mo about building aircraft for the film. I so much want to like Enemy at the Gates more than I do - maybe its just Jude Law. Now if they had flipped the story around and had filmed it from Ed Harris point of view with him victorious in the end THAT would have been a great film http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Vipez-
10-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by F19_Olli72:
Vipez, something tells me you wouldnt like "Fighter squadron" then. The americans fly P-47s and the germans.... P-51s. Lol.

You are probably right . Fortunalety haven't seen this movie . but am I really the only one, who thinks this really bothers .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Saunders1953
10-14-2005, 07:25 AM
I agree with all movies mentioned so far, in varying degrees. But y'all forgot:

Utu
Stalingrad (both versions, but the 50's B&W version was the better one)
Young Winston
The Story of GI Joe
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Waterloo
War and Peace (Long Russion version)
Fort Saganne
Gunga Din

ImpStarDuece
10-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by IHI.OuTcAsT:
The Thin red line is probably the worst I have ever seen. They tried to make smart dialogs/thinkings but they came out so unrealistic and so stupid.

Best for me is Full Metal Jacket. Also Downfall (if you consider it warmovie) was awesome.

Enemy at the gates is probably the best "normal film" warmovie. You know with love/deaths/casualties/happyend etc etc

Me suspects that you missed the point.....

KGr.HH-Sunburst
10-14-2005, 07:43 AM
IMO thin red line was overcomplicated, stretchy and goes waay to deep in the Human mind thing
however it did have some good action scenes

why Nobody metioned Saints and soldiers?

My favo war era movies in my DVD collection:

Das Boot
Saving private Ryan
Band of brothers
Der Untergang (downfall)
When trumpets fade
Tora Tora Tora
Hamburger Hill
Full metal Jacket
all quiet on a westernfront
Saints and soldiers
Black hawk down (cool action)
Enemy at the gates
We were Soldiers

iroseland
10-14-2005, 07:46 AM
ok,

Full Metal Jacket
Das Boot
The 1930 version of All quiet on the western Front
Ohh, Fires on the Plains That one will really impress you with how crappy life can be.

ohh, Europa Europa not exaclt a war movie but not exactly not a war movie.

And Perl Harbor, ohh you said war movie, not 2 hour Kate BeckensBabe drool fest. 8^)

BSS_AIJO

ploughman
10-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Anyone mentioned Kelly's Heroes yet? Woof, woof!

neural_dream
10-14-2005, 07:58 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif Das Boot of course.

If i ignore personal passions and interests on various wars, purely for their quality i find all the rest mediocre at most. Private Ryan and Black Hawk Down were not too bad, but nothing more. I haven't seen this 1930 movie though. Maybe i should.

dadada1
10-14-2005, 07:58 AM
"The best ever" as in really communicates the level that people can sink to during war, and the tradjedy of warfare. "Come and See" by Elim Klimov. This is probably the only film I've ever seen that perhaps gets close to the realities of war. No big Hollywood show piece battle scenes I'm afraid, or supposedly poingnaint quieter moments, just the truth about war.

EyeoftheChicken
10-14-2005, 08:14 AM
I watched "Come and See".
Don't watch it with anyone else, maybe use headphones. I guarantee you will not move for 2 hours. This is a SOVIET film made at the beginning of glasnost (sp). I think a real FW-189 is used, for sure real ammunition.
This movie is really hard on the soul, and it will stay with you.

Worf101
10-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Interesting thread, but I really think the guy might have been trolling. "Thin Red Line" was a decent film but it doesn't even make my top 30 as far as war movies go. Just not good enough. I'd watch any of these day in and day out till my eyes bled before watching that flick again.

1. "They Were Expendable"
2. "Air Force"
3. "Dawn Patrol"
4. "The Big Parade"
5. "All Quiet on the Western Front"
6. "Das Boot"
7. "12 O'Clock High"
8. "Glory"
9. "Charge of the Light Brigade"
10. "Fort Apache"
11. "Apocalypse Now"
12. "Zulu Dawn"
13. "Sink The Bismark"
14. "Bataan"
15. "Wake Island"
16. "Enemy at the Gates"
17. "The Battle of Austerlitz"
18. "The Horse Soldiers"
19. "Platoon"
20. "Hope and Glory"

My Top 20.

Da Worfster

ploughman
10-14-2005, 08:46 AM
Hope and Glory? I haven't seen that in years. I haven't even thought about it in years. A nice film.

jimDG
10-14-2005, 09:18 AM
nah, "A bridge too far" is much better both as a movie (has the greatest number of famous actors in it, compared to any other (not just hollywood) movie).. AND.. it is 99% true to the story. And the story of the individuals involved itself is pretty unbelievable and fantastic, even though its actually real.
Thats for serious war movies. IMHO the best "fun" war movie is "Kelly's heroes".

I think the best war movies were made in the '60s. CG effects just dont cut it - back then they had the real hardware. And they didnt care about selling those movies to even the most stupid of movie goers, so the scripts are actually interesting and unpredictable.
The whole approach to movie making was different: writters reasearched the matter/topic to present it as best as possible. Nowadays writters present their own (incompetent) vision of the matter/topic in a way that appears interesting.
And its the second approach that sells - a person who knows nothing about something is in a much better position to sell it to someone else who knows nothing about the thing - he can make anything up without being constrained by reality.
"Saving Private Ryan" is IMO super unrealistic when it comes to visualising the war background of the story- compared to the war movies in the 60s.

There is also a german movie (about a U-boat) that people say is an awesome piece of art, but I havent seen it yet..

Ps. I thought "Star Wars" was officially the best war movie? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Airmail109
10-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Its not a film but a series....The Band of Brothers. The series in my opinion beats any film in depicting the reality of war.

Stigler_9_JG52
10-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Thin Red Line was the stupidest, most pseudo-philosophical steaming pile of excrement-turned-celluloid in the history of films.

jimDG
10-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Aimail101:
Its not a film but a series....The Band of Brothers. The series in my opinion beats any film in depicting the reality of war.

? I didnt see any rape in it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I don't think that anyone will ever make a movie depicting the reality of war. The reality of war is disgusting. Which is why noone shows it. Which is why people do it over and over again. Hell - the most realistic war movie that I have seen is 1 minute long and it features a big pile of corpses on a square in Srebrenitsa - all genders and ages, no uniforms. And in some cases - no clothes either. Beat that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There's a great anecdote in Lidell-Hart's history of WW1. The aunt of an English soldier asked him during his leave: "Tell me, were there any nice picture galleries or museums to visit when you got out of the trenches in the evenings?"

NorrisMcWhirter
10-14-2005, 09:44 AM
'Downfall' and 'das Boot' would top my list.

Also in there would be 'Hell in the pacific', 'Where eagles dare' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif and 'Apocalypse Now.'

Interesting that Kelly's Heroes was mentioned - I didn't know, until the other day, that Ian/Troy Kennedy Martin wrote it(!) This is probably why I like it considering I'm a bit of a fan of 'The Sweeney' and, in particular, 'Edge of Darkness'

Ta,
Norris

gates123
10-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Band Of Brothers...hands down it has all the elements of great movie making including original score which is rare these days.

Although I just recently saw Downfall and it has to go as honerable mention cuz its so fresh in my mind. Also Platoon gets a plug.

huggy87
10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Top Gun
Pearl Harbor
Iron Eagle 2
Rambo 3
The Thin Red Line
Stealth

crazyivan1970
10-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Best movies in no particular order

Band of Brothers
Das Boot
Stalingrad
Downfall
Saving Privat Ryan
Dark Blue world

Worst movie, hands down - Enemy at the gates.

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Interesting choise, worse than Pearl Harbour???

goshikisen
10-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Many great films mentioned...

2 of my favorites that haven't been listed:

Bridge on the River Kwai (Alec Guiness & William Holden... absolutely brilliant)
Mr. Roberts (Probably my favorite Henry Fonda film)

I know there is a great deal of subjectivity involved in choices like this but "Enemy at the Gates" as the worst CI? Surely "Pearl Harbor", "U571", and "Windtalkers" rank substantially lower than it. More like an undeniable universal truth that they are far worse... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

cmw1980
10-14-2005, 11:01 AM
I agree with crazyivan, but have to add catch22 and full metal jacket to my list of favorites and pearl harbour to my least faves. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

telsono
10-14-2005, 11:07 AM
These would be my choices without definitive order.

All Quiet on the Western Front - (Lew Ayres, the 1930's film)
Kanal - Great Polish film about the General Uprising in Warsaw in 1944
12 O'Clock High - ( a composite of real life command decisions)
A Bridge Too Far - just a great flick
Sahara - Great Bogie flick
Das Boot (director's cut) - Great!
Big Red One (director's cut) - the extra 40 minutes make it better.
Saving Private Ryan - Just Great
Band of Brothers - not Cinema but Great!
Cross of Iron - the German side of the war

Other comments:

The Battle of the Bulge - Called "An insult to the fighting spirit of the American soldier" by a German Field Marshall. Not worth watching even with a star studded cast.

The Thin Red Line - It would have been better about the Marines at Guadalcanal. Then the title would make more sense. Actually, when I think of the phrase "The Thin Red Line" I don't think of WWII, I think about about Wellington at Waterloo or the Sutherlands at Balaklava. This can be an overused military cliche, just like "The Lost Batallion".

F19_Olli72
10-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by telsono:
Sahara - Great Bogie flick

Oh i just have to mention another favorite of mine with Bogie too: "Action in the North Atlantic". The scene when the Heinkel 59s attack the ship is just awesome. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

panther3485
10-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi guys!

Placed in alphabetical order (rather than order of merit), are the following movies I have enjoyed, varying from well-liked nostalgic old favourites to the excellent and a number of truly outstanding examples (IMHO):

A Bridge Too Far
All Quiet on the Western Front (both versions)
Battle of Britain
Black Hawk Down
Braveheart
Breaker Morant
Catch 22
Cross of Iron
Dark Blue World
Das Boot
Enemy At The Gates
Gallipoli
Gettysburg
Glory
Kelly's Heroes
Memphis Belle
Paths of Glory
Patton
Platoon
Reach for the Sky
Saving Private Ryan
Stalingrad
The Blue Max
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
The Dambusters
The Deer Hunter
The Dirty Dozen
The Eagle Has Landed
The Great Escape
The Last of the Mohicans (1992 version)
The Longest Day
The Siege of Firebase Gloria
The War Lover
The War of the Worlds
The Wild Geese
The 300 Spartans
TORA! TORA! TORA!
Von Ryan's Express
We Were Soldiers
Where Eagles Dare
Zulu
633 Squadron

Among my list of 'worst ever' War Movies IMHO would be 'Pearl Harbor', 'Battle of the Bulge' and 'Midway'. Sure I could think of more if I put my mind to it.

The Thin Red Line, IMHO, would be among neither the best nor the worst - it didn't impress me too much either way.

Best regards to all
panther3485

Xiolablu3
10-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah 'The Think Red Line' is awesome.

I love how one soldier goes to war 'for the experience' and the other 'out of duty' it makes for a really great story.

Usually I prefer Western front films but this one was right up there with the best.

Xiolablu3
10-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:

Can you elaborate please Boosher? Very interesting m8, I never new that. I sensed there was a 'deeper' story to it but I dont know what it is...Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

snafu73
10-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah, that's a great call about Catch-22 cmw.

I have a great affinity with, and love the line from the book:

"On long winter evenings he remained indoors and did not mend harness, and he sprang out of bed at the crack of noon every day just to make certain the chores would not be done."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

One13
10-14-2005, 11:43 AM
I have to put a vote in for 'Come and see'. It is one of the most powerful films you will see, even though I saw it many years ago I can still remember it.It is one of the best depictions of the horrors of war.
'Glory' about black soldiers in the American civil war is also an underrated film. I thought the battle scenes were well done.
I have also heard about a Russian film about a torpedo bomber squadron which used combat footage from a real squadron, has anyone heard about it or seen it?

crazyivan1970
10-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by F19_Olli72:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Interesting choise, worse than Pearl Harbour??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think pearl harbor wasnt as bad as this one mate.

@One - i didn`t want to bring russian cinema in because i am not sure how many saw those movies. "Come and see" is brutal, no BS honest film - telling it like it was. There is an english version of it, you can purchase it here: http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=28781&genreid=&genresubid= One of those movies that leaves a mark.

Actually the most powerful movie i have ever seen is "Penal Battalion" 2004 11-DVDs series telling a story of Penal Battalions during GPW. Watched it 4 times and will watch it again http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It`s kinda like Band of brothers... but they weren`t really brothers.

ploughman
10-14-2005, 12:41 PM
The Thin Red Line - It would have been better about the Marines at Guadalcanal. Then the title would make more sense. Actually, when I think of the phrase "The Thin Red Line" I don't think of WWII, I think about about Wellington at Waterloo or the Sutherlands at Balaklava. This can be an overused military cliche, just like "The Lost Batallion".

The Thin Red Line is the title of a James Jones book, based on his own experiences in the PTO, upon which the film is based. There are two quotations prefacing the text.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that,
an 'Tommy 'ow's yer soul?'
But it's 'Thin red line of 'eroes'
when the drums begin to roll-
KIPLING

There's only a thin red line between the sane and the mad.
Old Middle Western Saying.

The action is on Guadalcanal.

Professor1942
10-14-2005, 01:06 PM
My favourites:

Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers (not a movie but, yeah)
Der Untergang (Downfall)
Das Boot
Tora Tora Tora
Battle of Britain (minus the insufferable marital squabbling)
Bridge on the River Kwai

Worst war movies ever:

Windtalkers
We Were Soldiers
Pearl Harbour

Kapteeni
10-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Russians have made some great war films too. One that i remember right now is "Come and Look" by Klimov. Its about partisans and main character is a small boy. "Das boot" is great. But my Oscar goes to... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif "Apocalyptica Now". It Rocks.

nickdanger3
10-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Three Kings

ViktorViktor
10-14-2005, 02:03 PM
And then there's a (made for TV ?) film about a B-25 which crashed in the African desert during WWII. It is discovered 15-20 years later and a recovery team headed by William Shatner comes to collect the remains of the crew and ship them home. Shatner was the only member of the crew to survive the crash, and here is forced to relive the past, so to speak.

This is not easy because the ghosts of the crew members have all this time been forced to hang around the wreck (they cannot go more than a couple of yards away from their own corpse), and while they can observe the recovery teams efforts and talk with each other, the recovery team cannot see or hear them.

The ghosts are relieved to finally be able to go home and 'rest in peace', but they are not glad to see Shatner. Shatner is a dirty rat in their eyes, and they want revenge for what they have suffered for the last 20 years. It is here that you begin to wonder about Shatner's version of the crash.

This is a film about the special bonds between members of a flight crew, and how good men can be abandoned by their country after the war.

I think it was called 'Sole Survivor', and was made in the late 60's.

JG52_Manteo
10-14-2005, 02:16 PM
There is a realistic Vietnam flick called:
84 Charlie Mopic. If you can find it check it out. Seen through the eyes/movie camera lense of a military film maker assigned to a squad of grunts. Almost made in a BlairWitch style. Wierd but good.

Zeus-cat
10-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Nobody has mentioned "Francis (the talking mule) joins the Navy"!!!

Seriously, the movie about the plane crashing in the desert, "Sole Survivor", is based on a true story. Not the ghosts, but a B-24 did crash in the Libyan desert after getting lost. Parts of the plane are now on display at the Museum of the Air Force near Dayton, Ohio.

The creepy thing is, parts of the plane were recovered from the desert and determined to being flight-worthy. They were installed in active aircraft and a higher number than normal of these aircraft suffered accidents (insert Twilight Zone music here).

Another movie to be considered is the "Bedford Incident". This is not a GREAT movie, but I think it is very good. This is a Cold War movie starring Sidney Poitier, Richard Widmark, Martin Balsam and don't forget Wally Cox. I just watched it the other night. It's about a US destroyer chasing a Russian sub in the artic. The movie has a great ending.

Zeus-cat

Professor1942
10-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Kapteeni:
Russians have made some great war films too. One that i remember right now is "Come and Look" by Klimov. Its about partisans and main character is a small boy.

Ah yes, the English (subtitled) version is called "Come and See"... very strange and twisted and worth renting...

Chuck_Older
10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
The Thin Red Line is, hands down, the single greatest war film ever made; in fact it is in my opinion one of the best films of any genre. I have watched this film countless times and am still awestruck by the power of its story, cinematography, and score. Within this one film we see the deep trancendental nature of human experience - how each of us choses to live out our lives as we walk the "thin red line" between sanity and insanity. This film is not a semi-historic docu drama like SPR or an idiotic toon like Pear Harbor. This film is the thinking mans war film - a movie which reaches deep into your gut and makes you ask yourself which one of these men would I have been? How would I have dealt with those choices? Where do we cross the line from the nobility of the warrior to the lowliness of the savage? Hans Zimmer is the Vivaldi of our times and his score reaches into your soul from the first opening scenes and does not let go until the screen darkens after the last credits have scrolled. There are war films that have better battle scenes(not many), and many that are just silly testosterone thrill rides; but when taken as a whole none even comes close to the power and perfection of this film.

Zimmer is simply great, his scores are impeccable and in my opinion, like John Williams, his scores become an integral part of any scene by virtue of them having an uncanny link to what's happening, as if the scene was written for the score, and not vice-versa

I have never seen the Thin red Line, but I have been told it's not a war film at all; It's an anti-war film.

The best anti-war film ever made in my opinion is Das Boot. Prochnow is brilliant. Actually, most of the cast are so believeable that your concern for them in their moments of danger are nearly absurd. Get the director's cut or the longer German version, which I beleive was shown on TV. The scenes in which the most tension builds are too short in the theatrical release

bolillo_loco
10-14-2005, 06:10 PM
What more could you want? War time theme, love, Spanish, and Italian women to look at!

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238112/

Every Time We Say Goodbye

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091019/

Caro dolce amore

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107573/

Chuck_Older
10-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by ViktorViktor:
And then there's a (made for TV ?) film about a B-25 which crashed in the African desert during WWII. It is discovered 15-20 years later and a recovery team headed by William Shatner comes to collect the remains of the crew and ship them home. Shatner was the only member of the crew to survive the crash, and here is forced to relive the past, so to speak.

This is not easy because the ghosts of the crew members have all this time been forced to hang around the wreck (they cannot go more than a couple of yards away from their own corpse), and while they can observe the recovery teams efforts and talk with each other, the recovery team cannot see or hear them.

The ghosts are relieved to finally be able to go home and 'rest in peace', but they are not glad to see Shatner. Shatner is a dirty rat in their eyes, and they want revenge for what they have suffered for the last 20 years. It is here that you begin to wonder about Shatner's version of the crash.

This is a film about the special bonds between members of a flight crew, and how good men can be abandoned by their country after the war.

I think it was called 'Sole Survivor', and was made in the late 60's.

this is a re-make of a film called, I beleive, "A guy named Joe"

Looks like I was right:
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0035959/

In this movie, it's a similar plot, but Spencer Tracy is the one not found. The crew plays a never ending softball game around the wreck if I recall. Tracy's not a rat, there's a different twist, he's the ball turret gunner, and they don't recover his body, so after the recovery tema leaves, all his buddys walk away, following the team, while he is forced to stay because his body is still under the plane

CapBackassward
10-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Another... Schindler's List.

Rick

-HH-Dubbo
10-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Are you sure C.O. I always thought that "A Guy Named Joe" had Spencer Tracey play more the role of inspiration to an up-and-coming pilot and the new love interest of his greiving girlfriend. The same as the remake by Speilberg in the 80's called "Always" starring Dreyfuss and Hunter. Never heard of the ball-playing ghosts before...well not in this movie

Zeus-cat
10-14-2005, 08:01 PM
How do we judge what is the best war movie ever? This was never defined? What are the criteria? It seems all of these movies are listed based on personal choice.

Great story?
True to life?
Accuracy?
Entertaining?
Tells both (or more) sides of the story?
Good acting?

There are lots of things to consider. Many of the movies listed fail miserably on one or more of these categories.

Zeus-cat

-HH-Dubbo
10-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
How do we judge what is the best war movie ever? This was never defined? What are the criteria? It seems all of these movies are listed based on personal choice.

Great story?
True to life?
Accuracy?
Entertaining?
Tells both (or more) sides of the story?
Good acting?

There are lots of things to consider. Many of the movies listed fail miserably on one or more of these categories.

Zeus-cat

All of these factors could be considered and still the best war movie, perhaps the best film, of all time would still be "Churchill;The Hollywood Years". In fact, you would not need to see any other war movies or even perhaps any other films.......ever.

womenfly
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
For me ....

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MG/195959.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MG/196706.jpg
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/MG/143225~Wings-Posters.jpg

VFA-195 Snacky
10-14-2005, 08:22 PM

STRIPES

Hot Shots

Hot Shots part deux

Major Payne

Sgt Bilko

MASH

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Professor_06:
Thin Red is cheesey IMO. But one mans cheese is another mans Mana.

Momentous occasion Professor. We agree. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I'd have to say Band of Brothers is my favorite.

Fritz

jarink
10-14-2005, 08:55 PM
My favorites include all the usuals, SPR, Band of Brothers, AQOTWF, Gallipoli, Apocalypse Now.

Some no one has mentioned yet that are worth watching:
BAT-21 - Based on a true story, good movie.
Flight of the Intruder - So-so story. but ithas some awsome flight scenes with A-1 Skyraiders.
The Bridges at Toko-Ri - Typical 50s acting and 'love interest' scenes, but a good Korean air war film. It even had Mickey Rooney as a chopper pilot!
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Memphis Belle</span> - Both of them. The original wartime movie was an excellent propaganda piece and the 1990 version was very insightful into the lives of typical bomber crew (so said my grandfather - he was a B-17 bombardier, so he should know). It was also reasonably accurate technically, not something to be taken lightly in pre-SPR Hollywood productions.
The Longest Day - All-star cast, mostly hokey acting, but who can forget the scene where "Pips" Priller cusses out his Generall over the phone? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

edit: Forgot "Combat America" Another wartime propaganda flick (starring Clark Gable). Very interesting combat footage. Downloadable from www.archive.org (http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22U.S.%20Army%20Air%20 Forces%22%20AND%20[combat%20america%20AND%20mediatype%3Amovies%29)

Worst movies?
Peral Harbor, especially after the hype that was made about it before release.
Three Kings - One of the very few Desert Storm movies made. Blech.
U571 - Not only did it rip off "Run Silent, Run Deep", the movie was bad technically and acting was poor.
Windtalkers - WHY was the main character not one of the Navajo?????

Udidtoo
10-14-2005, 09:02 PM
After seeing some interesting choices added that branch backward,and some forward of the war we attempt to recreate here. I thought of 'The Red Badge of Courage'

Probably little known outside the U.S. its set during the American Civil War. Also a very good read in its original book form.

It follows a young idealist who "joins up" in pursuit of glory and instead finds war to be a horrible bloody business full of fear, revulsion and unwanted memories. Wracked with guilt over his own initial cowardice and later shame for feeling a sense of pride over redeeming his honor by getting blood on his own hands when he could have run away again. Finally he realizes that all war really brings to him is a deep longing for peace.

wayno7777
10-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Air America
Dune
Kelley's Heroes
Really though most of the good one are here.
Thin Red Line was odd....

FliegerAas
10-14-2005, 09:26 PM

A great movie indeed...

p-11.cAce
10-14-2005, 09:34 PM
See now I have a great many DVD's to go searching for - though I must admit that I do not know what "trolling" is. I have been accused of doing so by several people in the thread - what exactly is "trolling"?

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 09:42 PM
See now I have a great many DVD's to go searching for - though I must admit that I do not know what "trolling" is. I have been accused of doing so by several people in the thread - what exactly is "trolling"?

Ha ha ha, you'll learn this once you've been here a while. "Trolling", as far as I understand, is when someone posts something to provoke and argument. "Fishing" is the same I think. Some do it for jokes and some just do it.

You only have 15 posts so I doubt you are trolling or fishing.

Anyways, welcome to the trolling and fishing community. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Fritz

wayno7777
10-14-2005, 09:44 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Professor1942
10-14-2005, 09:46 PM

"Trolling" is posting on forums solely for the point of pissing people off or starting arguments. You don't fit the description, I don't think http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

An example of trolling would be going to a fansite of some game you don't care for, like Heroes of the Pacific, and starting a topic "all people who play this game are ******s". Then you'd sit back and snicker at the replies that pour in.

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Here's an example of trolling and fishing;

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/2911013763

I made this just to show you what happens. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Many will realise it's not serious and probably laugh while others will take the bait and post angry replies and insults. Just follow the thread.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gifBTW, I haven't flown in a year and don't even have the game installed.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Ha ha ha, in less than 5 minutes I got 3 posts and 17 views. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

I love this community. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Fritz

Phas3e
10-14-2005, 10:05 PM
the 1947 documentary 'Thunderbolt' about US fighter bombers flying from Corsica.
All the others I like have been mentioned many times so I wont waste more space :P

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Phas3e:
the 1947 documentary 'Thunderbolt' about US fighter bombers flying from Corsica.
All the others I like have been mentioned many times so I wont waste more space :P

I prefer documentaries over movies. I have been collecting them for sometime now. My favorites are "WW1 in Color" and "The Third Reich in Color". It's very ineresting to see those times in something other than black and white. See WW1 in color is very strange indeed.

Fritz

p-11.cAce
10-14-2005, 10:23 PM
AH - ok I see thanks to your example http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I was not trying to pick a fight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I have seen some threads that I thought were obviously people just trying to fight - I mostly wanted to get feedback and ideas for good war movies. I have been playing IL2 since first edition but only now have been in forums; I did not realize what I have been missing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

wayno7777
10-14-2005, 10:25 PM
I tend to go that way myself. I have Hunters in the Sky, WWII in Color, Memphis Belle, and Warbirds of WWII....

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 10:38 PM
AH - ok I see thanks to your example http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif I was not trying to pick a fight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif I have seen some threads that I thought were obviously people just trying to fight - I mostly wanted to get feedback and ideas for good war movies. I have been playing IL2 since first edition but only now have been in forums; I did not realize what I have been missing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

No problem. One very important survival rule is never take it too seriously. You will get "flamed" from time to time for having a different opinion.

Actually, I sometimes felt that some of those accusing others of trolling are actually trolling by making the accusations.

Most in here will agree to disagree, but others will not.

Fritz

Pirschjaeger
10-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by wayno7777:
I tend to go that way myself. I have Hunters in the Sky, WWII in Color, Memphis Belle, and Warbirds of WWII....

I have about 100 war documentaries so don't be upset if I don't post all the titles. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I just bought 8 two days ago but was too busy keeping up with another thread.

BBC "Battlefields"
BBC "D-Day"
BBC "The Road to War"
BBC "Dunkirk"
MGM "Battle of Britain"
BBC "D-Day to Berlin"
BBC "War of the Century, When Hitler fought Stalin"
BBC "The Battle of the Atlantic"

Recently I've been a bit disappointed with Discovery docs. One example would be "Nazis-The Occult Conspiracy". They used the opening scenes of "Olympia"(Leni Riefenstahl) to support their claims of the Nazis using the occult and the Nazi beliefs in the Aryan race. The claim is not what I question, but the degree.

Olympia was made to honor the 1936 Olympics. Those same scenes Discovery used were made by Riefenstahl to show the glory of the Olympics. The movie was not one sided at all and showed Germany winning and losing.

There are other scenes which were dubious. There was footage of a Nazi parade on a rainy day. The audience is there but it's plain to see that they were not happy. They may as well have been statues. But the funny part is the added audio; the roar and cheers of the croud. It was very obvious the people were not cheering.

There are more examples but I don't feel like posting all day. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

For science and such, I like Discovery. But for WW2 history it seems they are not completely honest and not very objective. I think BBC is about the best in general. Discovery has good footage, but how they use it is wrong.

One thing I really dislike seeing in a documentary is the repeating of footage. IMHO, it shows the limitations of the producer's resourses, thus lowering the credibility of the doc.

Fritz

Daiichidoku
10-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:
One thing I really dislike seeing in a documentary is the repeating of footage. IMHO, it shows the limitations of the producer's resourses, thus lowering the credibility of the doc.

wether propaganda, combat, technical/scientific, or training films, B&W and/or colour, imagine how much footage is unseen, and how much will NEVER be seen, sitting and doing nothing in various gov. vaults in russia, britain and usa http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

then i think about how much footage must have been destroyed by japan, and especially germany, by war's end http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Daiichidoku
10-15-2005, 12:34 AM
one question, maybe someone here knows;

ive seen many various docs, and often one sees the same footage as others have used...

but often ive seen footage that is (more often) B&W, then later seen the same footage in colour...or the other way round...and of either, in various states of overall quality

a prominent example is of a kamikaze (judy?) narrowly missing (enterprise?) a C.V. as its flaming wings shears off in flight...ive seen it so many times in B&W and in high quality colour

why is this?

also, why cant docs leave whatever original audio came with the film on it, please, documentary filmmakers, where the footage actually has audio?

VV_Holdenb
10-15-2005, 01:39 AM
Here's my list :

Dambusters.

others already posted:

Memphis Belle
Battle of Britain
Air America (the giant bebe is coming...)
Kelley's Heroes (no more negative waves...)

Pirschjaeger
10-15-2005, 02:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

wether propaganda, combat, technical/scientific, or training films, B&W and/or colour, imagine how much footage is unseen, and how much will NEVER be seen, sitting and doing nothing in various gov. vaults in russia, britain and usa http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

then i think about how much footage must have been destroyed by japan, and especially germany, by war's end http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I'm lucky. When I'm in Germany I have a knack of getting people to tell there opinions and experiences related to WW2. Normally, this is very hard to do. Unlike us, they are sick of hearing about it.

In the documentary "The Third Reich in Color" the narrators mentioned that 8mm movies cams were common among Germans during WW2. While I was in Germany I found many people had kept many things from the war. I was also given many items. In a few months I'll move back to Germany and I intend to start seaching for more stuff.

You guyz might remember a thread I started a few months ago when I posted previously never published photos taken by my buddy's Opa. Before meeting them they kept these a secret. I felt it was an honour to get permission to post them here. I also met a man whose father was a high ranking SS officer. He told me when I return he will show me what he saved. I asked about a uniform and he smile and said nothing. We will see.

I have more stuff I will post when the time is right and I've collected more info.

Fritz

Badsight.
10-15-2005, 02:27 AM
A Bridge Too Far
A guy named Joe
Aces High
Action in the North Atlantic
All Quiet on the Western Front (both versions)
Apocalypse Now
BAT-21
Band of Brothers
Battle of Britain
Big Red One
Black Hawk Down
Braveheart
Breaker Morant
Bridge on the River Kwai
Catch 22
Churchill;The Hollywood Years
Cross of Iron
** Come and See ** (Come and Look?)
Combat America
Dambusters
Dark Blue World
Das Boot
Downfall - Der Untergang
Enemy At The Gates
Fighter squadron
Fort Saganne
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Full Metal Jacket
Gallipoli
Gettysburg
Glory
Gunga Din
Hamburger Hill
Hell in the pacific
Hope and Glory
Ice Cold in Alex
Kanal
Kelly's Heroes
Memphis Belle
Paths of Glory
Patton
Platoon
Piece of Cake
Penal Battalion
Reach for the Sky
Rukaj√¬§rven tie (finnish)
Run Silent, Run Deep
Sergeant York (us propaganda)
Saving Private Ryan
Sole Survivor
Stalag 13
Stalingrad
Target For Tonight
They Were Expendable
To Hell and Back
Tuntematon Sotilas (Unknown Soldier)
The Caine Mutiny
the Cruel Sea
The Battle of Austerlitz
The Battle of Midway
The Blue Max
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
The Dambusters
The Deer Hunter
The Dirty Dozen
The Eagle Has Landed
The Great Escape
The Last of the Mohicans (1992 version)
The Longest Day
The Red Badge of Courage
The Siege of Firebase Gloria
The Thin Red Line
The War Lover
The War of the Worlds
The Wild Geese
The 300 Spartans
TORA! TORA! TORA!
U-571
Von Ryan's Express
Waterloo
We Were Soldiers
Where Eagles Dare
When trumpets fade
Winter War
Zulu
12 o'clock high
55 days at peking
633 Squadron
84 Charlie Mopic

RAN
the seven samurai
rashomon ok thats all thats been mentioned so far

i simply HAVE to find a copy of "Come & See" now after whats been said about it

& those 3 at the end too TY Dachiidoku http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Von_Rat
10-15-2005, 02:54 AM
hmmm nobodys mentioned,,,55 days at peking.

Kapteeni
10-15-2005, 02:58 AM
M.A.S.H. is good . Both movie & Tv-series. So is "Band of Brothers". "Over There" (FOX TV) is really stupid. It makes me Er.. angry. Well, it have some funny elements of " Team America".If ya wanna make relly good propaganda, hire Leni Rifenstahl. (OOPS, She is dead). BTW, where can i get that Russian IL2-film about Leningrad?

Capt.LoneRanger
10-15-2005, 02:59 AM
I always found the ThinRedLine to be too long and too stressed on characters in several moments, especially during the second half of the movie where this concentration causes quite a bit of chaos when the camera switches from rifle-team to rifle-team, from man to man in different teams, etc. Brilliant pictures, though and the soundtrack is one of the best I ever heared.

Concerning war movies, well, the novel of "Im Westen nichts Neues" (nothing new on the western front) is a way better book than the movie is. (Most pupils have to read it in school here in Germany, btw.)

The best war-movies IMHO are Gettysburg and Tora!Tora!Tora! - Both movies excellently show special events from both sides and they are historically correct without too much of this pathetic ****.
Best Anti-War-Movies are DasBoot and SavingPrivateRyan. Both are only BASED on a true story, but THEY are the movies that make people think about what war is like. In Germany "Die Br√ľcke" is the most dramatic and best movie to show how Hitlers propaganda really worked and what it did to the younger generation.

panther3485
10-15-2005, 03:01 AM
Hi there, jarink

Quote:
"Some no one has mentioned yet that are worth watching:
....The Bridges at Toko-Ri....Memphis Belle....The Longest Day...."

Wanna look again?

On a more positive note, I pretty much agree with your 'worst' list and I'd like to add that IMHO the most offensive thing about U571 is that it 'rips off' (steals the credit/glory, call it what you like) from another ally. That's the sort of cr@p we have to expect from Hollywood, it seems.

Best regards,
panther3485

OberUberWurst
10-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by leadbaloon:
Rambo III http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Cajun76
10-15-2005, 03:31 AM

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gifBTW, I haven't flown in a year and don't even have the game installed.

Fritz

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Cajun senses the time is right to issue his challenge to Fritz and finish what we started 2 1/2 years ago... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I challenge you! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Xiolablu3
10-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Olli72:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazyivan1970:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ivan, I quite enoyed Enemy at the Gates, why do you hate it so much?

I cant see how you an say it worse than Pearl Harbour, that was by far the worst War film I have ever seen. The only good thing in it were the CGI battle sequences.

Pirschjaeger
10-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Cajun76:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pirschjaeger:

Fritz

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif Cajun senses the time is right to issue his challenge to Fritz and finish what we started 2 1/2 years ago... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I challenge you! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Challenge accepted! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Just one thing, can we wait a few more months? I want beginner's luck on my side and I'm almost there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Wanna fight me buddy?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Wanna fight me buddy?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Ok, no problem, Arnie's me buddy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Fritz

Daiichidoku
10-15-2005, 05:19 AM

Wanna fight me buddy?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Wanna fight me buddy?! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-mad.gif

Ok, no problem, Arnie's me buddy! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Fritz

hehe reminds me of a long ago simpsons episode, in a country bar homer walks into...

two yokels chat..."hey yew, let's fight!"
"them's fightin' words!" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Pirschjaeger
10-15-2005, 05:40 AM

Te_Vigo
10-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Saving Private Ryan is good
Full Metal Jacket
The Longest Day
The John Wayne Waries were good but cheesy
The Battle of Midway
The Bridges of Toko Ri
U235

But I think one of the better was; The Bridge Over The River Kwai.

Aimosika
10-15-2005, 05:54 AM
Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning !

Te_Vigo
10-15-2005, 06:27 AM
here are some small war like clips I was put onto:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/Angel-Decoys.mpeg

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/B-17inBattle.wmv

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/A10%20Strafing%20Run.avi

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/A-10%2...cluster%20bombs.mpeg (http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/A-10%20releasing%20Mk20%20cluster%20bombs.mpeg)

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

Tully__
10-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I always found the ThinRedLine to be too long and too stressed on characters in several moments, especially during the second half of the movie where this concentration causes quite a bit of chaos...
That chaos appears to me to have been intended. My impression of that movie was that it was intended to highlight the confusion, fear and stress felt by people (both civilian and military) who find themselves in battles. While I didn't especially like the film, I found it put over that feeling of confusion and sensory overload really well.

Low_Flyer_MkII
10-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Paths of Glory
All Quiet On The Western Front (original Lew Ayres version)
Band of Brothers
Das Boot (the complete series)

and while it's not conventionally a war movie, Paths of Glory has reminded me of Tunes Of Glory.

Schindler's List

jarink
10-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F19_Olli72:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cant see how you an say it worse than Pearl Harbour, that was by far the worst War film I have ever seen. The only good thing in it were the CGI battle sequences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was very dissappointed in EAtG, but I don't think it rates in the "worst" category either. I find it similar to IL2/PacFighters in that it tells a story that is not familiar to most westerners, but flubs it on several occasions.

1. Why was the Gerrman sniper's real name (Hoepner) changed to Koenig?
2. Why, oh WHY did there have to be a love triangle? (and a sex scene. Sex in 'the field' is vastly overrated, by the way.)
3. How did the girl get across the river at the start of the movie?
4. Most of the semi-accurate sniping tactics shown were destroyed by Ed Harris' walk in the open at the end.

Ruy Horta
10-15-2005, 03:09 PM
There are a lot of great war movies, many of the ones in this thread I can agree with.

Ignoring the classics, The Thin Red Line props up as a movie that can still evolve into a real classic. Yes it is off balance, yes it is sometimes too artistic and some of the actors are not well cast (Travolta for instance).

But some of the shots are pure poetry on film. Believe it or not but it was the first time I saw Cavaziel and I remember thinking of him as a perfect cast for Jesus (I kid you not...).

Personally I still cannot see this film as well balanced, however great some bit and pieces may be.

Spielberg does show his mastery of the trade, whatever you may think of the general story, SPR is well made and a balanced movie.

Perfect intro...

However for something completely different.

One of my favorites is "The Hill" with Sean Connery. Not a pure war movie, but what acting!

I am still hoping for a release on DVD.

Ah, I'd like to make an honorary mention of "Conspiracy", produced by HBO and released on DVD. This is an actor's film. The first time I saw this movie, which is much closer to a play than a film, I was stunned. For minutes after the title role I was still staring at the screen.

No action at all, but IMHO a classic.

But call me a sentimental xxxx I get tears when SPR starts and the old vet kneels at the grave of Captain John H. Miller.

Sure it is corny, but God**** it works!

It is truth, be sure!

zombiewolf92553
10-15-2005, 03:18 PM
oops http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif forgot "Red Badge of Courage" with Audy Murphy not John Boy from the Waltons Yuckky

NorrisMcWhirter
10-15-2005, 03:24 PM
The Hill

Yep, I forgot about that one but this is a tres good fil-m (as they say in the NE)

Ta,
Norris

airdale1960
10-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Ya'll Aussie's forgot "The Light Horsemen". A good flick. Even had an airplane scene. "Lawrence of Arabia", "The Boys in Company C" R. Lee Ermy's 1st DI showing.

Pirschjaeger
10-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by jarink:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cant see how you an say it worse than Pearl Harbour, that was by far the worst War film I have ever seen. The only good thing in it were the CGI battle sequences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was very dissappointed in EAtG, but I don't think it rates in the "worst" category either. I find it similar to IL2/PacFighters in that it tells a story that is not familiar to most westerners, but flubs it on several occasions.

2. Why, oh WHY did there have to be a love triangle? (and a sex scene. Sex in 'the field' is vastly overrated, by the way.)
4. Most of the semi-accurate sniping tactics shown were destroyed by Ed Harris' walk in the open at the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) is it possibly due to legal implications? This wasn't so long ago and maybe surviving family member would give permission.

2) without the love triangle you'd have the theaters half empty. Not many women wanna watch unbathed men shooting at each other in a less than pristine environment.

3) the director put her there. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

4) women are not only ones who need closure http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I have to agree with you though. I was somewhat disappointed with the movie. Normally I find war movies best to be taken almost as fictional or based on actual events. With the exception to Schindler's List, Band of Brothers, and Das Boot, just about all the movies mentioned in this thread are somewhat "cheezy" IMHO. keyword "opinion".

I'm a documentary kinda guy.

Fritz

Skalgrim
10-16-2005, 07:50 AM
im westen nichts neues
(All Quiet On The Western Front) the old version from i thing from 33, although some bad movie material

stalingrat

das boot

die br√ľcke (old german movie from kids soldier that must protect a bridge end of the war

full metal jacket

Breeze147
10-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry, I just skimmed through the thread, didn't read it all. Why is "The Bridge On The River Kwai" never mentioned? Not only a great war movie, but one of the best films ever made.

zimbower1
10-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Stalingrad

Zeus-cat
10-16-2005, 09:15 AM
"Bridge on the River Kwai" has been mentioned several times. Excellent movie even with all the inaccuracies.

I must admit that I laugh every time people trash "Saving Private Ryan" for errors and yet no one touches "Bridge on the River Kwai" or the "Great Escape" or other movies of that era. Those movies are a hundred times worse as far as historical accuracy goes. They are still great movies and very enjoyable, but the double standard applied to them is pretty sad.

Has anyone mentioned "Lawrence of Arabia"? Peter O'Toole is excellent in this flick and its very entertaining.

Zeus-cat

J_Weaver
10-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Don't forget "Above and Beyond" about Paul Tibbets and the A-Bomb. I haven't seen it in a long time, but it was quite good.

Battleground was also a very good movie.
Midway was pretty good.

Personally I never liked the Thin Red Line. Saving Private Ryan was BS.

J_Weaver
10-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I must admit that I laugh every time people trash "Saving Private Ryan" for errors and yet no one touches "Bridge on the River Kwai" or the "Great Escape" or other movies of that era. Those movies are a hundred times worse as far as historical accuracy goes. They are still great movies and very enjoyable, but the double standard applied to them is pretty sad.

I've got to agree. Sometimes I laugh at the inaccuracies of the older war movies. "Battle of the Bulge" has to be one of the worst war films ever made. You know, I don't know where they got they idea that the Battle of the Bulge took place in Tunisia. Maybe they got it confused with Kasserine Pass? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Pirschjaeger
10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Yes! I was trying to remember that one, "Battle of the Bulge". Worst war movie ever made.

Another bad movie is "Midway". It might have been ok with a different cast.

I find with war movies you have to think of them like "Titanic". You know there's going to be footage of catastrophe with machines involved. So cool. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Admit it guyz, you sat through "Titanic" simply to watch a huge ship sink. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Does anyone actually watch a car race to see cars go in circles? Metal, beer, flames, beer, speed, beer, smoke, beer, parts airborn! Then beer http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

It's great to be a man. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Fritz

Targ
10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
I enjoyed Empire of the Sun very much.

drose01
10-16-2005, 01:32 PM
How about a couple of films made from novels of Alistair MacLean: "Where Eagles Dare," featuring Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton, or "Guns of Navarone," with Gregory Peck and Anthony Quinn?

In the modern era, for for immersive, sustained, real combat feel, what about "Black Hawk Down?"

Airmail109
10-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Band of Brothers really hit home sometimes....especially when Garnier was hit....that really pissed me off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif....some of those episodes are really imprinted in my memory..as stills...almost like they were real http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

han freak solo
10-16-2005, 03:03 PM
You guys left out Private Benjamin. For shame! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/52/01/11m.jpg

Nick_Toznost
10-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, I've just dicovered Silent Hunter 3, Il2 has gone back on the shelf for the first time since 2003.
So Das Boot rules as far as I'm concerned. Though I am slightly biased now.
This is my first post on the Il2 forums for over a month now.......addictive subs..........

EDIT....Angels 5 0, made in 1941 was an entertaining war film. About Battle of Britain pilots. Don't know how we came up with the budget for a film like that then. Before the Americans were even involved.

LEXX_Luthor
10-16-2005, 04:51 PM
We forgot "Mr. Roberts" with Henry Fonda. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Mr. Roberts, Kelly's Heroes, and Big Red One are among the most captivating movies made.

Still, the Henry Fonda movie that made the deepest impression was Once Upon A Time In The West when he wears black suit, black hat, spits chewing tobacco, all while gunning down an innocent 8 year old boy in cold blood. I did NOT expect to see Henry doing the Bad Guy thing in my lifetime and beyond. That was Aussom.

harryklein66
10-16-2005, 05:09 PM
_R.A.S. (1973)
Nothing to Report (International:English title)
_Napoléon (Abel Gance 1927)

airdale1960
10-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Any one remember "A Midnight Clear" not a happy film, very depressing, Ethan Hawk and other young bucks did a pretty good job. Very sad ending. But such is reality.

jds1978
10-16-2005, 07:53 PM
ok...my two cents on the movie thing

1. i've always disliked Spielberg because of his tendency to manipulate audiences' emotions. i think its a kind of cheap trick. Granted SPR's first 20 mins are outstanding as is the whole of Schiendler's List.

2. Better scripts and different actors would have made "Windtalkers" and "Pearl Harbor" great movies...i'm not joking.

3. "The Thin Red Line" will be considered a classic. Why you ask? Cinematography and music score are top notch. View the movie like an impressionist painting...then go read the novel by James Jones.

4. It's a shame that Peckinpah never got to make "The Big Red One" like it should have been done (he envisioned a 4hr+ epic with alternating storylines between the US and German infantry) Go rent the re-released version...you'll like it.

5. "Stalingrad" & "Das Boot": Amazing films. Just don't watch them back to back, as you're likely to become extremely depressed.

6. "Battleground", "Sahara", "They Were Expendable" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

7. "Band of Brothers", "Beach Red", "MASH" http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

wayno7777
10-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by han freak solo:
You guys left out Private Benjamin. For shame! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/52/01/11m.jpg

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gifAnd G.I. Jane.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

jensenpark
10-16-2005, 10:10 PM
Stalingrad was great.

Cross of Iron by Peckinpah was quite good - considering when it was made.

Just watched "A Bridge Too Far" again after reading the book by Cornelius Ryan. Was actually very good - especially for the time made - followed the book very well.

Have to say the same for "Blackhawk Down". Was very true to the book. And the book is incredible.

What separate these two movie and books from the rest for me is that they are not judgemental or preachy - just fine tributes to amazing bravery and sacrifice shown by soldiers.

corvette93
10-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Memphis Belle
Das Boot
Saving Private Ryan
Battle of Britain
Tora, Tora, Tora (Best Pearl Harbor movie. Showed both sides).
Run Silent, Run Deep

Professor1942
10-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by jarink:

4. Most of the semi-accurate sniping tactics shown were destroyed by Ed Harris' walk in the open at the end.

1. Because Zaitsev nailed the real guy without even trying.

2. So women would go see the movie and they would make more money.

3. Probably by boat.

4. They had to end the movie somehow.

F19_Olli72
10-16-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by jds1978:
ok...my two cents on the movie thing

1. i've always disliked Spielberg because of his tendency to manipulate audiences' emotions. i think its a kind of cheap trick. Granted SPR's first 20 mins are outstanding as is the whole of Schiendler's List.

Well i think Hollywood in general forget/dont care that their movies are seen on other continents as well. Flagwaving and saluting etc(read: "patriotism") just becomes very cheesy. Those tricks completely fails to evoke emotion in me. In SPR and Band of Brothers there was a lot of that stuff. Actually more than in "Sergeant York" ...which was a pure propaganda movie.

2. Better scripts and different actors would have made "Windtalkers" and "Pearl Harbor" great movies...i'm not joking.

I'll agree to that, just compare "Pearl Harbour" and "Dark Blue World". They have the same plot; 'Two buddies fighting in the war falls in love with the same woman and split up as friends. In the end one of the buddies sacrifices himself to save the other buddy.' I mean, its basicly the same story but in different settings. Dark Blue World's ending where he doesnt get the girl in the end would be unthinkable in Hollywood. Its like Salieri says to Mozart in "Amadeus": "You've got to give them a good bang at the end so they know when they can clap" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif "Dark Blue World" did everything a lot better, even though im sure their budget was smaller.

5. "Stalingrad" & "Das Boot": Amazing films. Just don't watch them back to back, as you're likely to become extremely depressed.

Add "Aces High" to movies that arent exactly uplifting, but its good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

nakamura_kenji
10-17-2005, 04:29 AM
"to end all war"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0243609/

i like see while go. about scottish argyls japanese pow camp, not best but one recent i like

dadada1
10-17-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by EyeoftheChicken:
I watched "Come and See".
Don't watch it with anyone else, maybe use headphones. I guarantee you will not move for 2 hours. This is a SOVIET film made at the beginning of glasnost (sp). I think a real FW-189 is used, for sure real ammunition.
This movie is really hard on the soul, and it will stay with you.

Yes it ceartainly stays with you, thats why I'd nominate it as the best war movie. Surely anyone who's experienced war themselves has found it harder on the soul than this films depiction. Perhaps this is the closest you will ever get to experiencing war without leaving the safety of your home. The fact that there is absolutely no sentimentality in this film gives it an honesty not found in Hollywood films. I dont know how they managed to age the boy in the film, but his appearance at the end is truly ghastly.

HotelBushranger
10-17-2005, 04:55 AM
1. Because Zaitsev nailed the real guy without even trying.

Nope, the other way. They were sitting in their positions for 2 (or was it 3?) days, doing nothing but staring through their scope. Of course, Hollywood chopped it up.

dadada1
10-17-2005, 05:00 AM
Another film I've not seen mentioned here is "The Train" directed by John Frankenheimer. The cast is mostly French and German but also stars Burt Lancaster as resistance leader. This film has plenty of action, (Frankehiemer obssession with realism meant that anything that get destroyed is not a model, no CGI in those days) spot on historical accuracy, and an extremely thought provoking end. Worth watching and a perfect Gem.

HotelBushranger
10-17-2005, 05:09 AM
How old is it?

dadada1
10-17-2005, 05:10 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ruy Horta:
There are a lot of great war movies, many of the ones in this thread I can agree with.

Ignoring the classics, The Thin Red Line props up as a movie that can still evolve into a real classic. Yes it is off balance, yes it is sometimes too artistic and some of the actors are not well cast (Travolta for instance).

But some of the shots are pure poetry on film. Believe it or not but it was the first time I saw Cavaziel and I remember thinking of him as a perfect cast for Jesus (I kid you not...).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without wishing to appear too blunt, what exactly is poetic about war?

dadada1
10-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by HotelBushranger:
How old is it?

Around 1964, look here at this link,I think this film has nothing but positive reviews.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/

Lucius_Esox
10-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Didn't really like Thin Red Line when I first watched it. But I watched it again, and again, and again.... Agree witht the first poster now, I even think John Travolta is brilliant in it now!!

Bridge to far blows me away as well for it's authenticity. When the credits at the end of the film roll you see why. The technical/war advisors were the "actual" ones who were in command at the time of the battle.

Good post btw. It is certainley interesting to see others views on this subject.

Breeze147
10-17-2005, 06:11 AM
Hands down the absolute worst war movie ever was "The Big Red One". Completely stupid and idiotic. I was ashamed of Lee Marvin for being in it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif