PDA

View Full Version : OT:Loss of a WWII Vet and friend

icrash
01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Well a friend's father passed away, and today was laid to rest. I had the honor of serving as a pallbearer at his funeral. He never mentioned anything about his service to me, and very little to even his own children. All I had known was that he served in the army. It turns out it was the 2nd Armored Div., "A" Company, both the 82nd and 92nd Armored Recon. First Sgt. Tatom was awarded seven bronze stars among other things. According to the person presiding over the ceremony, Sgt. Tatom was wearing about a third of the decorations he was entitled to. It was what he would have wanted I think because of his modesty and the outlook of "I was just doing my job". I must say that when "Taps" was played over the flag draped casket, it was the saddest thing I'd witnessed. Rest in peace my friend, and thanks for your service.

icrash
01-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Well a friend's father passed away, and today was laid to rest. I had the honor of serving as a pallbearer at his funeral. He never mentioned anything about his service to me, and very little to even his own children. All I had known was that he served in the army. It turns out it was the 2nd Armored Div., "A" Company, both the 82nd and 92nd Armored Recon. First Sgt. Tatom was awarded seven bronze stars among other things. According to the person presiding over the ceremony, Sgt. Tatom was wearing about a third of the decorations he was entitled to. It was what he would have wanted I think because of his modesty and the outlook of "I was just doing my job". I must say that when "Taps" was played over the flag draped casket, it was the saddest thing I'd witnessed. Rest in peace my friend, and thanks for your service.

Olds_663rd
01-14-2005, 09:44 PM
My condolences to your friend's family and you for your loss. I know that many vet's wouldn't talk about their experiences, and felt that they were just doing their job. My Dad (rest his soul), passed away 2 years ago. He was fortunate to have been at the tail end of the war, and came home safe. He told me about his experiences, but he was adamant about not having a military service. I argued with him many times about it, but now understand why. He was a simple man, and felt that it was not necessary to put anyone through that. We abided by his wishes, and I am glad that we did as he asked. A good friend told me of his experience with his father's military funeral, and made me realize that I had done the right thing, by granting his request. I've been to more than a few military funerals, and I don't think I would have made it through taps at my Dad's funeral.
Again, my condolences to you and your friends family.

Olds

PBNA-Boosher
01-14-2005, 10:52 PM
My condolences to you and your friend. We lose more and more of them every day. This man served as the example of an honorable man for us all. If we can all hope to be even half of what he was, maybe, just maybe, the world might be a better place.

woofiedog
01-15-2005, 01:19 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif God Bless!