PDA

View Full Version : Damage model on large objects?

Pigeon_
08-16-2009, 06:32 AM
I was doing some tests today to find out how many bombs it would take to sink various ships. I first went for the Akagi (Japanese VC) and discovered that it would take 3 hits with 1600 lb bombs in the middle of the deck. Later I tried this again, but didn't hit in the same spot all the time. I did some diving attacks and some skip bombing attacks on different sides of the ship. This time it took me 5 or 6 1600 lb bombs to sink the ship. So, it seems that the large ships are designed with damage models for different parts of the ship. Is this true? And, if so, which ships or other large objects do have damage models for different parts?

Zeus-cat
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I believe large ships have three zones, bow, midships and stern. I believe it takes a certain number of "hit points" in a single zone, or a higher total spread across all three zones to sink the ship. I think ships are the only non-aircraft objects to have a "complex" damage model.

VW-IceFire
08-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Tanks also have a semi-sophisticated damage model in that angle and position of your attack factors significantly into the potential for a kill.

For instance hitting a tank with rockets or anti-tank cannons on the front will do nothing. The same attack from the same angle on the rear will likely kill it (with a sufficiently powerful rocket).

With the ships Zeus-cat is right. There are three main parts of the damage model. Stern, middle, and bow. Concentrating hits in one location will be more effective than spreading out the attack.