PDA

View Full Version : What not to do when flying a Bell Ranger helicopter

BirdieNum-nums
03-10-2006, 02:59 PM
The poor fools. I hope the pilot survived and and least had his license fed to him by the FAA.

http://www.wimp.com/drowning/

Cheers,
Birdie Num-nums

Viper2005_
03-10-2006, 03:27 PM
That's an oldie.

I don't know what happened to the pilot but I'm thinking it wasn't a good career move...

The sad fact is that helicopters have a very limited safe envelope; the ability to hover has a very big price tag attached!

This clip is a classic example of the bold pilot, and an explanation of the scarcity of old, bold pilots.

Frankly if that didn't kill him, the chances are that something else will have done by now.

As a glider pilot I have some experience of aeroplanes and ropes;

<span class="ev_code_red">Rule #1</span> is that you take up slack slowly.

Had the bold pilot in the movie applied rule#1 he would probably have escaped his fate, because things would have gone wrong slowly enough for corrective action to be taken.

<span class="ev_code_red">Rule #2</span> is that you put the rope in the right place.

If the pilot's notes don't mention a "right place" then alarm bells should probably start ringing...

<span class="ev_code_red">Rule #3</span> is that if it all starts to go to worms you dump the rope and sort yourself out; if the other guy dies that's his problem!

The bold pilot in the clip didn't have any method of quickly releasing the cable. That's a MAJOR mistake. Sod's law dictates that things will go wrong one day, irrespective of the precautions you take, and as Chuck Yeager suggests, you should always leave yourself a way out.

The consequences may not be pretty, but given a choice between the other guy dying and both of you dying, most people tend not to be plagued by indecision...

Unless several serious lessons were learnt, the pilot in that film is most likely no longer with us.

Badsight.
03-10-2006, 09:37 PM
the pilot in that video was a show-off

look where it got him

danjama
03-10-2006, 09:55 PM
To be fair, he was trying to help someone out and digging him out here is unfair, especially so if he is dead

PlaneEater
03-10-2006, 11:07 PM
That wasn't a fast crash, it wasn't a high crash, it wasn't in deep water, there weren't any doors on the sides, and there was a boat right next to them.

I doubt they did more than get wet and bruised.