PDA

View Full Version : mission builder question

aminx
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi
I set up my mission Midway stile battle with mission builder and this is what i noticed:
1)the vals dive and drop their bombs and continue home as planned.
2)the Kates wont go towards the target as programmed, they go around the carrier and back home with the torps stil slung under or theyll drop them from a height on the way home!!!
3)the ships do get hit by the vals they catch fire for a second or two but there is no damage,they just jeep sailling on as if nothing happened to them.Can anyone advise about the kates?
height when dropping torp 150mt
speed 200kmh
direction:almost facing.
pilot:ace

regards
aminx

aminx
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
Hi
I set up my mission Midway stile battle with mission builder and this is what i noticed:
1)the vals dive and drop their bombs and continue home as planned.
2)the Kates wont go towards the target as programmed, they go around the carrier and back home with the torps stil slung under or theyll drop them from a height on the way home!!!
3)the ships do get hit by the vals they catch fire for a second or two but there is no damage,they just jeep sailling on as if nothing happened to them.Can anyone advise about the kates?
height when dropping torp 150mt
speed 200kmh
direction:almost facing.
pilot:ace

regards
aminx

ianboys
10-26-2004, 01:11 PM
Have you used the SET command to identify the carrier as the tgt?

Zeus-cat
10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Getting AI to drop torpedoes is tough. I made a 30 mission torpedo bomber campaign for the IL-2T. Here are some hints:
1) Use a long, straight run to the target (several km). Use only slight turns, if any.
2) Drop height slowly on the planes. My max height for torp bombers at any time was 500m.
3) Start the attack run at 250m altitude.
4) With only 2 or 3 waypoints, drop the altitude to 50m with no sudden drops.
5) Attack the starboard side of ships if possible. The AI prefer the starboard (right) side.
6) Drop the torpedoes at a good distsance (approximately 200m for freighters, 500m for large warships).
7) After dropping, keep the planes on course for a short distance.
8) You can alter the planes course with the second waypoint after dropping.

Zeus-cat

Zeus-cat

Antonio_MRZ
10-29-2004, 09:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
6) Drop the torpedoes at a good distsance (approximately 200m for freighters, 500m for large warships).

Zeus-cat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Zeus-cat,
thanks for the advice, I am quite interested in
torpedo bombing, and I am having trouble
too to get the AI drop correctly their
torpedoes.

I looked at your missions, I saw you did not
set the target for the GATTACK waypoint. Will
try this toinght.

But I cannot understand how do you tell the AI
at what distance they should drop their
torpedoes.

When do you give the "Attack-Ground Targets-Ships"
order? Before or after the Gattack waypoint is
reached? Is this order that makes the AI drop?

Thanks
Antonio

Zeus-cat
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Antonio_MRZ,

Some of my missions have no fixed targets for the AI. It is up to the lead pilot to tell them what to attack and when. As I am sure you know, if you give AI planes a target waypoint, they fly there and attack it. Well, on some of my missions I wanted you to hunt your target. That requires the AI not to have a Gattack waypoint. On those missions, I have the AI set to follow the lead plane. Just come in low and slow and avoid hard turns and the AI will usually stay with you. I have found that you can issue the order to attack at about 2-3km from the ship. Farther away from the target and the AI will say "Unable" when you issue the attack order. If they do that, just issue the order again. I like to key up the last command 5 or 6km away from the target. Then on my approach, I hit the final key "Attack Ships" when I think I am at the right spot. The AI then follow me and drop their fish.

Also note that the higher you are when you drop the torpedo, the longer it takes to surface (that may just be an impression). I know I have missed ships by dropping too close. The torpedo will actually go under the ship and then resurface on the far side.

I said 200m range for freighters as I figure it is tough to miss at that range. Since freighters don't fire at you, you can get close. I try to drop at about 500m from warships as they are so dangerous. They are also much longer and you can afford to be farther away and still get a hit.

Hope this helps.

Zeus-cat

Antonio_MRZ
10-30-2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks a lot for your advice. I have downloaded
your campaign and I'll soon give it a try (as soon
as I learn how to land :-) )

Regards
Antonio

aminx
10-31-2004, 02:14 AM
att ZEUS-CAT
------------

1)Do you know how to place your flight behind others?
2)Have the planes start of with wings folded on deck before take off.
both in MB.
regrds
aminx

Tater-SW-
10-31-2004, 07:19 AM
2-3km is 6-9,000ft. That pretty much means it's impossible to have realistic dive bombing missions with AI, huh? (US planes pushed over at 12k feet or higher, usually).

tater

aminx
10-31-2004, 08:22 AM
DIVE BOMBING

this what i do at final approach about i square off:
set height to 1900mt
set speed to 200kmhr
set pilot as ace
results: 90% hits
aminx

Tater-SW-
10-31-2004, 08:31 AM
for dive bombers?

Again, USN dive bomber attacked from 10-15,000ft. Thats 3050m, to 4600m. I realize lower alts work, but they are not realistic. It needs fixing.

tater