PDA

View Full Version : 2 ??'s Before I buy this game. PLS help.

EddieNYC
12-29-2004, 08:49 AM
This game looks pretty incredible. First though, I've read some reviews saying this version is not as good as its predecessor. Is it just not too different, or is something wrong. Looks good to me.

Second, the patches are confusing since I'm not a huge gamer. If I get this today and install it from the box, do I just use the latest stand alone patch, or do I FB+AEP+PF merged install. I have a feeling the second one is if I already have prior versions, which I don't. Also, with the new 3.03 patch, does the game run fine?

Thanks.

EddieNYC
12-29-2004, 08:49 AM
This game looks pretty incredible. First though, I've read some reviews saying this version is not as good as its predecessor. Is it just not too different, or is something wrong. Looks good to me.

Second, the patches are confusing since I'm not a huge gamer. If I get this today and install it from the box, do I just use the latest stand alone patch, or do I FB+AEP+PF merged install. I have a feeling the second one is if I already have prior versions, which I don't. Also, with the new 3.03 patch, does the game run fine?

Thanks.

JG53Frankyboy
12-29-2004, 09:00 AM
well, the offline experience of this game series was never a "WOW" (personal opinion, sure http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).
but with the latest DGen upgrades and some 3.Party stuff like UberDemons Quickmission editor (is it still in development fpr PF ? im not usrem dont playing offline) its better.

if you will buy only PF you can make a standalone PF3.00 installation. and than the latest 3.03 patch (~100mb) . thats all you need.
it runs in general fine , just be carefull with the graphical and sound settings.

ExpendableT
12-29-2004, 09:02 AM
PF is good, but you should know that some of the planes promised are not yet available because the game was pushed out early by the publisher.

Since you don't own the previous versions, you'll need to install PF as stand alone and you'll need the 303 stand alone patch. Do not use the 303m patch as that is only compatible with the merged install of FB+AEP+PF.

Sqn81-Blacksky
12-29-2004, 10:42 AM
If you think about getting PF waste another $10 and get FB its really worth the money..do the merged install or you won´t find any onlinesevers to be killed on http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

Bearcat99
12-29-2004, 11:15 AM
My suggestion to you is to look at this product as one big 5 CD sim. Buy the Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion GOLD pack for $29 US http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/241057.jpg .... (Forgotten Battles and Aces... 3 CDS in total) Then buy Pacific Fighters for $39 US...(2 CDs in total). Install the whole shebang in this order. Forgotten battles, Aces Expansion, Pacific Fighters, Patch 3.0 > 3.03m. You wont be dissapointed. Tbe sim is challenging. But it is THE BEST WW2 sim available comercially to date.... without a doubt. It is WELL worth every penny spent on the disks and I can gaurantee you that unless you are a pure gamer... as in you want the quick gratification that comes with many arcade style products (By instant I mean say, being able to almost master the product after a month or so) this product will be very challenging and possibly the most challenging software to date that you have ever purchased.

BTW Eddie where in NYC are you from? Im from the Bronx. Now I live in Va.

Owlsphone
12-29-2004, 12:16 PM
^^What he said.^^

You're also going to need all that in order to play online with the rest of us...that is where the true gameplay is. Hope to see you up there.

Oh yeah, and download Hyperlobby online gaming software. Don't use the crappy Ubi online junk. There are always hundreds of people on the HL software.

Here's the link to get you started:
http://hyperfighter.jinak.cz/

Bearcat99
12-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Also hit the Sturmovik Essentials link in my post. Visit the sites there.

John_Stag
12-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Yup, buy the whole shebang. The series is the finest WW2 sim created to date; as for the whines about it, you won't hear them about the "competition" because, basically, nobody cares enough about them.

NORAD_Zooly10
12-29-2004, 02:27 PM
i have all the 1C series of sims, one question though; is the gold pack available in the UK? i only ask this because i havent seen it in any of my local computer game stores.
~S~
Zooly

JunkoIfurita
12-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Should be available - we have the Gold pack on the shelves in Australia, and that's about as backwater as it comes in the entertainment industry.

nearmiss
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bearcat99:
My suggestion to you is to look at this product as one big 5 CD sim. Buy the Forgotten Battles Aces Expansion GOLD pack for $29 US http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/241057.jpg .... (Forgotten Battles and Aces... 3 CDS in total) Then buy Pacific Fighters for $39 US...(2 CDs in total). Install the whole shebang in this order. Forgotten battles, Aces Expansion, Pacific Fighters, Patch 3.0 &gt; 3.03m. You wont be dissapointed. Tbe sim is challenging. But it is THE BEST WW2 sim available comercially to date.... without a doubt. It is WELL worth every penny spent on the disks and I can gaurantee you that unless you are a pure gamer... as in you want the quick gratification that comes with many arcade style products (By instant I mean say, being able to almost master the product after a month or so) this product will be very challenging and possibly the most challenging software to date that you have ever purchased.

BTW Eddie where in NYC are you from? Im from the Bronx. Now I live in Va. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">BEAR IS RIGHT ON! You won't regret buying into this series.</span>

Athosd
12-29-2004, 05:05 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExpendableT:
PF is good, but you should know that some of the planes promised are not yet available because the game was pushed out early by the publisher.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just have to point out that only one of the types listed on the box was not included in the release - that being the flyable G4M Betty, which will be made available in a patch.

Out of the box the game is stable and playable, though there are a number of issues with the dynamic campaigns (mostly concerned with waypoint settings for AI aircraft - they tend to collide with mountains).

The dynamic campaign engine has been updated several times now, and though some still have issues, its now pretty good. There are also plenty of very good community built single player missions/campaigns to try.

Try PF - and if you like it then grab the FB Gold pack as suggested and go to the full merged installation (170+ flyable aircraft from many theatres).

Cheers

Athos

fordfan25
12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
its worth it IF your into the ww2 era stuff. if your not and only want the game as a now and then thing then id say look for something else. also make sure you pc specs are up to snuff dont go by the req specs on the back of the box. its the best pto sim out by a long shot but then again thats not saying much lol. but all jokeing aside if your pc can run it ok and you realy want to devote some time into it then yes get it. id but just pf first and see if you like it. if you do then get the FB+AEP pack and do a M install.

heywooood
12-29-2004, 06:35 PM
EddieNYC - What fordfan says is correct...you will need a good rig to fully appreciate this sim (or any flightsim).

Others will chime in with their idea of minimum spec. but I will suggest 2.5 gig chip at least...an Nvidia 6600GT or ATI 9600 or better... at least 1gig RAM (2gigs is better) and a decent sound card/speakers.

After that, Bearcat is always right when it comes to good info for new players on this board.

fordfan25
12-29-2004, 06:45 PM
haywoods idea of a good rig is about right. you can get by with like a 1.6cpu but youll see a big deff with something around the 2.5 range.

Skycat_2
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EddieNYC:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eddie,
Some really good advice has been given here, especially in regards to making sure your PC and vid card can handle PF or the earlier Forgotten Battles and Ace Expansion Pack.

Whether you'll like this sim partly is a matter of if you have an interest in the war in the Pacific during WWII. For the carrier side of things, and the 'out of the box' variety of the planes and vehicles, then PF beats the previous 'top' WWII Pacific standard air combat sim, Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator 2 (c. 2001). However, one of the major criticisms of the offline campaigns of PF is that you have to fly over a lot of ocean before anything happens.

If your interest is more general, and you're mostly interested in a realistic, engaging WWII air combat sim, then you might be better off getting FB and AEP (or the combined Gold Pack) first and trying out the sim for a while. Some advantages of this is that Gold Pack is cheaper than PF; the planes generally have fewer key commands to master (so easier to learn); FB and AEP ships with good training videos; the campaigns are generally over smaller land-based maps and therefore visually more interesting IMO; and you get a huge variety of flyables including Spitfires, Hurricanes, Mustangs, Lightnings, Thunderbolts (and a bunch of Russian and German planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ). Also, there are already a ton of custom missions and skins available for the FB/AEP combo at fan sites. You can always add PF directly on top of FB/AEP later, possibly when the price comes down a little.

VW-IceFire
12-29-2004, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EddieNYC:

Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
For best experience, buy Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion Pack (the two can be found in the FB Gold pack), and Pacific Fighters. Install the three together and you get 170 flyable WWII fighters, about 25 maps, and a whole lot of online fun. Get PF just by itself, and you get about 30-40 planes, about 10 maps, and not much online action (most of us MP people are with the merged install). Its a good value, its great fun...its well worth it...if takes a bit of time to get into...but its fun and difficulty settings can be done to your liking offline.

If you aren't a MP type person...lots of missions to be had as well: http://www.pacific-fighters.com/en/missions.php
http://www.netwings.org/library/ (for PF or AEP)

PF by itself is ok...it plays fine with patch 3.01-3.03. Infact its probably the best yet from this series...the actual content is lacking in some places. But it matters less with the merged install.

As for patches...install FB, then AEP, then PF. Then download patch 3.01m and then 3.03m. (m = merged) Done.

If just PF, then download 3.01 and 3.03.

F4U_Flyer
12-29-2004, 10:27 PM
ivan posted all you need is fb - aep - pf - 303m .

Im guessing 303m supercedes and adds all the stuff in 301 and 302b. If im wrong please post the correction since i believe ivan !

HotelBushranger
12-30-2004, 02:04 AM
I would say the ONLY bad thing about Pacific Fighters, are the pilot careers, most of which consist of flying over water, but there are other careers, such as RN, RAAF, USAAF, which have MUCH shorter flying times, are more challenging and more fun. The RAAF Beaufighter campaign is a KILLER, i can get over the mountains without pranging lol ,its bloody impossible!

But apart from that, seriously this game is pure genius, its simply stunning, gameplay is fun fun fun, challenging, flight models are superb, and theres a sense of....of going back to the old days, were it was a fine line between life and death, and it is easy to get shot down, you really get into it, fully concentrating and everything, and then you finally complete the mission, land SUCCESSFULLY, and then...just slump back and breath, breath!!! Makes for extremely addictive gaming. Worth every cent, in my opinion.

As for the patch, if all you have is PF, dl the 3.03 patch right over the one out of the box, now the 3.03merged patch, and evrything should be fine.