PDA

View Full Version : A legitimate NEED for early '40s/late '30s IJA and IJN aircraft

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
We have so many aircraft now in the FB/PF series, that it's easy to overlook some of the earlier models

In online play, this would be expressed in terms of 'planesets'

What is missing from a 'planeset' that interests many folks, is Japanese aircraft from the late '30s and early '40s that made a large contribution to the air war, but remain unrepresented still

For instance, the A5M.

Also, several aircraft are missing from both Axis and Allies that are important aircraft, such as the C-46 Commando, and various US Army Air Force "Grasshopper" planes that fulfilled roles similar to the Storch

But the big omission is early Japanese fighters

Consider for a moment, my favorite aircraft in FB/PF: the Hawk 81

Now, forget for a second that the H81A-2 we have isn't really what the AVG got, there's good evidence to prove that the Allisons in the AVG planes were more powerful and the planes themselves were lighter than standard H81A-2s, and also had no self-sealing fuel tanks and were therefore faster than 'standard' H81A-2s. That's another topic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But let's look at adversaries for this wonderful plane that served with not just the AVG...the 1940 Zero? It is doubtful if AVG Hawk81s ever really encountered a Zero. All IJA and IJN single engine fighters were called Zeroes. The Ki-43? yes, that will do. For the Army. The IJN needs the A5M. That goes hand-in-glove with the other fixed gear Japanese a/c we are missing, the Ki-27.

"Cr@p planes" have a strong following. They are fun to fly and give the virtual pilot a sense of accomplishment. These two 'cr@p planes' are needed, and the sooner the better.

With no adversary except the Ki-43 for the early war US/AVG/RAF and Soviet aircraft besides the A6M, this is really limiting a lot of possibilities, and makes mission building that uses some of these wonderful aircraft a little difficult. Early japanese/soviet encounters are difficult to say the least

Take the Gladiator for example. It has it's place in the Pacific war. Give it a contemporary to fly against such as the A5M or the Ki-27.

It's not just a desire to see these aircraft disintegrate under my guns that motivates me. It opens up possibilities we should have, except for the want of a very few aircraft. Even if some of them were AI only, that would prompt modellers to make cockpits and submit them for 1C:Maddox Game's inspection

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 02:34 PM
We have so many aircraft now in the FB/PF series, that it's easy to overlook some of the earlier models

In online play, this would be expressed in terms of 'planesets'

What is missing from a 'planeset' that interests many folks, is Japanese aircraft from the late '30s and early '40s that made a large contribution to the air war, but remain unrepresented still

For instance, the A5M.

Also, several aircraft are missing from both Axis and Allies that are important aircraft, such as the C-46 Commando, and various US Army Air Force "Grasshopper" planes that fulfilled roles similar to the Storch

But the big omission is early Japanese fighters

Consider for a moment, my favorite aircraft in FB/PF: the Hawk 81

Now, forget for a second that the H81A-2 we have isn't really what the AVG got, there's good evidence to prove that the Allisons in the AVG planes were more powerful and the planes themselves were lighter than standard H81A-2s, and also had no self-sealing fuel tanks and were therefore faster than 'standard' H81A-2s. That's another topic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

But let's look at adversaries for this wonderful plane that served with not just the AVG...the 1940 Zero? It is doubtful if AVG Hawk81s ever really encountered a Zero. All IJA and IJN single engine fighters were called Zeroes. The Ki-43? yes, that will do. For the Army. The IJN needs the A5M. That goes hand-in-glove with the other fixed gear Japanese a/c we are missing, the Ki-27.

"Cr@p planes" have a strong following. They are fun to fly and give the virtual pilot a sense of accomplishment. These two 'cr@p planes' are needed, and the sooner the better.

With no adversary except the Ki-43 for the early war US/AVG/RAF and Soviet aircraft besides the A6M, this is really limiting a lot of possibilities, and makes mission building that uses some of these wonderful aircraft a little difficult. Early japanese/soviet encounters are difficult to say the least

Take the Gladiator for example. It has it's place in the Pacific war. Give it a contemporary to fly against such as the A5M or the Ki-27.

It's not just a desire to see these aircraft disintegrate under my guns that motivates me. It opens up possibilities we should have, except for the want of a very few aircraft. Even if some of them were AI only, that would prompt modellers to make cockpits and submit them for 1C:Maddox Game's inspection

Snootles
11-06-2004, 02:44 PM
The Japanese used a lot of 1930's planes in the PTO too, not just CBI, so it's critical to have them.

A5M "Claude", B5M "Mabel", B5N "Kate", E7K "Alf", G3M "Nell", H6K "Mavis", Ki-21 "Sally", Ki-27 "Nate", Ki-30 "Ann", Ki-32 "Mary"- all of these planes entered service before 1940.

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Exactly!

To most folks, besides Americans, there was no CBI...it was the Pacific Theater. The RAF played a big role in India. We have the Tomahawk Mks we need, but we need more japanese a/c

Philipscdrw
11-06-2004, 02:56 PM
I agree that more old planes would be very welcome, but I doubt that there is time before BoB to make it worthwhile. If BoB comes out next June, and you consider the time it takes to build a new aircraft, send it through Oleg, put it in a patch, then send the second patch to debug the first patch, then when it is done everyone will be playing BoB!

Snootles
11-06-2004, 02:58 PM
I highly doubt BoB will be ready in less than a year and a half. Heck, they don't even have more than a working title for it!

JG7_Rall
11-06-2004, 03:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snootles:
I highly doubt BoB will be ready in less than a year and a half. Heck, they don't even have more than a working title for it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the old updates, many planes and ground objects are WIP...

Philipscdrw
11-06-2004, 03:35 PM
BoB is coming out next June? *sniffs* Is everything I believe a lie????

ianboys
11-06-2004, 04:11 PM
A good russian team are working on 1930's Japanese planes, don't worry!

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianboys:
A good russian team are working on 1930's Japanese planes, don't worry! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

chris455
11-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Well stated Chuck. I hope we share enthusiasm not just for the earlier JAAF and IJNAF ships, but also to remedy the deficiencies in damage modeling of the P-40 series in it's entirety.
Then w'd have ourselves a ball game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Chuck_Older
11-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Ah, the P-40 DM...a complex issue to be sure. Just be thankful that we have models that have *some* type of armor and some type of self sealing fuel tanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

In a way, I can see whee the fragile FM came from. In another, it really seems off the wall