PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Advice

foxyboy1964
05-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I am going to buy il2 Forgotten Battles and I would like a decent joystick in the 30 to 40 range ($60 to $80). I quite like the look of the Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think of this joystick. Also, can anyone explain how a Hat Switch and Padlock view come into the gameplay. Its been almost twenty years since I last played a flight sim and things have changed.

major_setback
05-01-2005, 04:06 PM
....Also, can anyone explain how a Hat Switch and Padlock view come into the gameplay. Its been almost twenty years since I last played a flight sim and things have changed.

Someone else might help you out with the joystick question (no joy from me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif)

I remember being confused by some of the terminology when I first became interested in flight sims. Publishers could win over many more potential buyers if they only explained everything a little better for the uninitiated.

In the event that you don't already know what "padlocking" means: it means locking your view onto an enemy aircraft that is within your field of view. F4 locks your view to an enemy aircraft, shft + F4 locks your view to a friendly aircraft.
You can set-up one of your joystick buttons so that you easily can access this important feature. Do this by going to "controls" on the main menu page and scrolling down to "padlock enemy". By clicking to the right of this, and then depressing your chosen joystick button you will be able to set the function to whichever button you like.

How it works:

You can only padlock onto aircraft within the central part of your view.

Padlocking stops when the enemy aircraft is blocked from your view by the fuselage structures.

You can "jump" your view to another nearby enemy aircraft by assigning a button to the "padlock next enemy" command in the controls menu, and jump back again if you asign a key or button to "padlock previous enemy".

A padlocked plane is outline with a coloured triangle, red for alied, blue for axis aircraft.

The beauty of the function is that you can hold sight of an aircaft that roams from your front field of view irrespective of which view you select (wide, normal or zoom. These are the DELETE, END and PAGE DOWN keys).

Padlocking stops when a plane is destroyed.

You can assign a key to enable you to temporarily look straight ahead (by releasing the padlock as long as the key/button is depressed), allowing you to see where you're heading.

You use the Hat Switch (HS), to move your view about inside the cockpit as if you were moving your head. You can use the HS to locate a plane and then padlock your view onto this plane in order to hold the plane in sight.

Padlock only works with aircraft that are close enough to be visibly identifiable (3 km I think ?. Though this distance can probably be altered in the configuration files).

You can only padlock one plane at a time.

You can also use the mouse to view with (instead of, or aswell as using the HS).

Trying to hold your view on an enemy plane during a dogfight can be very difficult, padlocking is a useful way of holding your target in view as you try to manouvre yourself into a firing position (or try to keep out of his sights).

I hope this answers some of your questions.

LuckyBoy1
05-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately, there seems to be no joysticks available in that price range that will hold up for more than a year at a times. It will cost about 180 pictures of the Queen to get a CH Fighterstick and pedals.

major_setback
05-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Just make sure that the stick has a rudder function (twist the stick around it's own axis for rudder movement) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. It makes a world of difference!

foxyboy1964
05-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Good explanation of the HS and Pview, I had no idea what they were for. 180 quid for a joystick http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif I'll have to save my pennies for that one.

Bearcat99
05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Try here (http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html) first. They tend to run out rather quickly because of te great price. Several members of the 99th have sticks from here and they have no problems at all... most of the sticks were like new. The full retail price for this stick is $80 U.S. It is a decent stick..... quite adequate. If you can get one there go for it.

GT182
05-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Bearcat, what ever happened to the X52 from Saitek? I've not seen a one in any BestBuy, Circuit City or CompUSA, and I've been down here in W.Chester,Pa for the past 2 weeks. I've been to all 3 stores in Wilmington Del. last week and nada, not a one. Just the X45s is all I've seen on the shelves.

FB1964, if you can, and it will cost more, get the X52... http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/fligcon.html.

You see, it has a twist axis on the stick so you won't need a set of rudder pedals. The X45 has no twist axis, only a rocker switch on the underside throttle grip, and it's a pain. So with the X45 you're better off with a set of rudders pedals. So for saving money, go with the X52 if you can.