PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the radio and MAD

horribleron
09-03-2005, 05:50 PM
First, I have heard that you can't recieve radio messages below 25 meters. Does anyone know if this is true?
Second, the Allies started using aircraft MAD (magnetic anomoly detection) toward the end of the war. Is MAD used in this game and if it is how deep can it "see" a U-boat. I'm wondering if they have it in SH3 because I have run into several occurances where I had been running underwater for a long time (15 - 18 hours) only to surface and find a swarm of planes waiting for me. It sucks when you start detecting radar signals the moment you surface. Perhaps they were using MAD and I wasn't running deep enough.

Horribleron

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Uh, yea go to U-Boat.net then go to the alies then uh your on your own from there. I wish I could help you more but I aint that good on MAD gear. Sorry.

Kaleun1961
09-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Swarming planes have not much to do with MAD gear. The Allies plastered the U-boat transit lanes with aircraft, 24-7 once they had the radar and enough planes.

WilhelmSchulz.-
09-04-2005, 12:27 AM
It could be that they saw you surface.

paulhager
09-04-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by horribleron:
First, I have heard that you can't recieve radio messages below 25 meters. Does anyone know if this is true?
Second, the Allies started using aircraft MAD (magnetic anomoly detection) toward the end of the war. Is MAD used in this game and if it is how deep can it "see" a U-boat. I'm wondering if they have it in SH3 because I have run into several occurances where I had been running underwater for a long time (15 - 18 hours) only to surface and find a swarm of planes waiting for me. It sucks when you start detecting radar signals the moment you surface. Perhaps they were using MAD and I wasn't running deep enough.

Horribleron

I haven't seen any evidence in the game nor heard any discussion among users that it models MAD. Also not used are allied sonobuoys nor allied homing torps. Late in the war, leaving port in a German sub was suicide. If these additional weapons were part of the Allied-AI's armamentarium the sim would be close to impossible.

Kaleun1961
09-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Armamentarium. There's a new word to add to my vocabulary. Cheers.

horribleron
09-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, I was also wondering because I have seen Wellington bombers patrolling low over the water in my latest mission. They have some wierd looking antennea arrays on their sides too. The odd thing is they don't seem to attack much either rather they just keep flying around in circles at a distance. A few of them have gotten to close to my 3.7cm AA gun and paid the price but for the most part they stay too far away to shoot at. I'm in sector BE51 right now trying to sneak back into Loriant at the end of patrol 27 (August 1943). Lordy it sure takes a long time to cross the pond now.

Horribleron
"The C key is my friend"