PDA

View Full Version : Airfield defence in online games?

Grand_Armee
07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
OK...I've been vulched more than a few times online. Six times yesterday...not to mention the legal time I was taken out by a low flying B-25's bombload.

So, I gotta ask...is it not possible to place AAA around the airfields? I mean, not a whole bunch. I shy away from airfield attacks when I am playing a generated campaign. But there should be at least enough to add some dimension of reality..

And...if it is possible, why ain't nobody doin' it? There are ground units to attack, I assume. I try not to get to close to the ground, but many times have met the ground without seeing any ground units.

In advance, my thanks to you gentlemanly pilots.

Grand_Armee
07-24-2007, 10:41 PM
OK...I've been vulched more than a few times online. Six times yesterday...not to mention the legal time I was taken out by a low flying B-25's bombload.

So, I gotta ask...is it not possible to place AAA around the airfields? I mean, not a whole bunch. I shy away from airfield attacks when I am playing a generated campaign. But there should be at least enough to add some dimension of reality..

And...if it is possible, why ain't nobody doin' it? There are ground units to attack, I assume. I try not to get to close to the ground, but many times have met the ground without seeing any ground units.

In advance, my thanks to you gentlemanly pilots.

AKA_Luke
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
Email the server admin, perschnapps?

ake109
07-24-2007, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grand_Armee:

In advance, my thanks to you gentlemanly pilots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most online maps have multiple bases for you to choose from, if there is a cloud of enemies over your current selection, just move.

I think AAA adds to lag, so most servers remove it.

FritzGryphon
07-24-2007, 11:53 PM
If bombers are available at your airfield, you can perform your own AA defense. The dorsal turrets on the A-20 and B-25 are particularly good at this. The TB-3 is also good because it's hard to kill.

Low flying vultures are easy meat for an experienced gunner, and it gives your teammates a 1km bubble to take off in. If you die, just respawn really quick, and keep shooting.

triad773
07-25-2007, 12:00 AM
The TB-3 is not hard to kill (IMHO) from a low 6 o'clock position- as are most ships with tailguner positions.

PS: I have dragged a couple of poor victims across my airfield and one got hit by AAA, the other crashed foolishly trying to take out a field gun.

Try it and see http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Cheers

Triad

F19_Ob
07-25-2007, 03:30 AM
Although getting vulched multiple times get annoying and no one seems to cover the base it's good to remain calm and think.

Sometimes trying to get up to fight a vulcher can be quite fun and satisfying,(when u get him down).
I have noticed that people who vulch more than a few times have made a habit of it.
In these cases I have flown airbase-cover myself at around 4000m because vulchers usually must see what goes on down there and will be a bit fixated on the ground.
I and mates have cornered and lured vulchers into traps countless times now and it is but one style of onlineflying wich I find fun.

I also like flying bombers but one have to widen the way of using them online, as the fighterboys do.
I know that I likely will not get away if caught by a fighter and will have to jetison my load and try to suvive by bailing or bellying in.
I have found however that with a fuse-delay of two seconds on the bombs I can drop fairly big bombs from very low altitude and thus have been able to use them as defense, to buy me time or even killing or damaging the enemy' if I've succeeded to drop my bombs in the right moment, wich is preferably when flying very low an the enemy shoot at me from behind.
When so low the enemy won't notice my drop as easily, and especially not when he fires at me and the bullets whip up the dust.
Infact also the shrapnel from my bomb will miss me so low.

This is ofcourse a gamble but fun when it works.
In il-2's have dropped bomblets on chasing german fighters and succeeded to take the down 10 or so times of about 50 drops.
Most usual though is to drop bombs when skimming the ground, in all types of planes.

Most inportant in bombers though is to fly together (even a pair is good) or ask if someone can cover you or atleast fly close to your your route to target, or why not meet up with you close to target so they may keep the enemy fighter occupied.

Bevare though that many players are not team-players and particulary inexperienced fighterboys will gravitate towards any sign of battle and leave you to fend yourself.

Experienced fighters will not usually follow the bombers but be higher and fly lazy S'ses over the bombers path and/or perhaps CAP 2 thirds of the way ahead because they know the enemy will go for the easy targets, the bombers, and they will be in best possible position to intervene and keep energy at same time.
low and slow they will fall prey to the enemy themselves.

So being a bomberguy involves a much higher degree of risk so one have to set ones mind after risk assesement and try to think tactically as main weapon of defense.

swearing alot helps, but preferably with microphone off. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

TheCrux
07-25-2007, 03:39 AM
I have noticed that people who vulch more than a few times have made a habit of it.
In these cases I have flown airbase-cover myself at around 4000m because vulchers usually must see what goes on down there and will be a bit fixated on the ground.
I and mates have cornered and lured vulchers into traps countless times now and it is but one style of onlineflying wich I find fun.

Bingo. As vulching victim myself, I adopted this strategy too, and I apply it viciously. I consider it my duty to defend the airfield, plus it is perfect practice for B&Z fighting.

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 05:04 AM
AAA can be added to DF maps at cost to maximum players and still not kill framerate.
You can actually put quite a bit of AAA on a map without loading down badly if they are not
concentrated or past so many active at once. 4 guns at 2 to 4 bases each with a decent host
PC should not cost even 4 planes less, depending on the connect and PC hosting and if the
host is also supporting a player - that last being a real load.

raaaid
07-25-2007, 07:17 AM
i enjoy camping on enemy base but let people go high

i can enjoy facing lot of enemies without vulching

na85
07-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Once or twice I've seen someone land a bomber at the enemy base and start shooting enemy planes as they spawn.

Personally I find this tactic hilarious.

M_Gunz
07-25-2007, 07:29 AM
Right up there with team killing, eh?

Deadmeat313
07-25-2007, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triad773:
The TB-3 is not hard to kill (IMHO) from a low 6 o'clock position- as are most ships with tailguner positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you get "low 6" on a TB-3 thats parked on the tarmac? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

T.

TgD Thunderbolt56
07-25-2007, 08:17 AM
1. Beef up the AAA (the responsibility of the server admin/mapmaker)

2. Organize CAP (the responsibility of the pilots)

3. Use a different base.

That's it.

Deadmeat313
07-25-2007, 08:24 AM
The servers I fly on (UK_Ded_2 etc) do have flak at the bases. Not crazy amounts, but enough to signal to the entire area that a threat is nearby.

Also, I very rarely encounter vulchers.

I suspect if you are having trouble of this sort then you need to look for a better server.

T.

xTHRUDx
07-25-2007, 06:00 PM
i put a lot of AAA on my maps but i layer it by setting the AAA "open fire" altitude. that way the vulchers get the most of it but others that fly near don't get it as much.

VW-IceFire
07-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Its certainly doable. All of the maps I produced for UK-Dedicated and Slammin's when that was still around had an assortment of flak batteries to ward off the vulchers.

Usually a German base of medium/large size would have a pair of 88mm and four or five of the 20mm batteries scattered about the base. An Allied base would be similar just with different weapons. With more options these days I'll sometimes loose a few of the 20mm or 88mm and put in the 37mm/40mm batteries as well.

KG66_Gog
07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, first and foremost, we need to determine if you are being vulched or are being strafed, because they are two very different things.

Vulching is loitering over an enemy base and killing pilots as they spawn time and again, many times killing the same pilot over and over again.(Disclaimer: It is ok to repeatedly kill mates, ex squad personnel or pilots who are generally accepted by the online community as being w a n k e r s!)

This is bad juju and the mark of a lame pilot with no skills.

Strafing however, is dangerous and requires great skill and cunning. This is the practice of arriving at an enemy airfield and killing anything that is present, this includes any aircraft that happen to spawn in while you are conducting your initial attack. Once you have killed everyone once, and once only, you should then depart. If you stick around to wait for more victims to spawn in, then you become a vulcher and are probably ghay!

A strafer is also entitled to kill anyone in the middle of landing or taking off. A strafer is also entitled to use any and all means to improve the chances of his approach going unnoticed, like flashing his nav lights at approaching aircraft or putting his wheels down to imitate an aircraft on finals, before dropping the hammer, going wheels up and blowing them all to kingdom come!

So, if you are getting killed when you spawn, instead of just hitting the 'refly' button, take a moment to observe your funeral pyre and the general situation at your base. Is there a bandit swanning around waiting for you to spawn? If there is, then re-locate. If there is a fast disappearing Me110 fading off into the distance having smashed all your toys into a million bits, then it's probably me or one of my squaddies and trust me, we enjoyed every second of doing it!

Billy_BigBoy
07-26-2007, 04:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Deadmeat313:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by triad773:
The TB-3 is not hard to kill (IMHO) from a low 6 o'clock position- as are most ships with tailguner positions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you get "low 6" on a TB-3 thats parked on the tarmac? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

T. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drop a bomb near the TB-3 and he flips over.
Go inverted and finnish him off http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

jimDG
07-26-2007, 05:33 AM
The servers I fly at do have AAA around the strips. Too many AAA place a heavy burden on the server and the connection. You can't have more than 10-20 AAA on the whole map (including target defense), or so people say - i'm not too sure that this is true.

Ideally I would like to see strips with lots of AAA around them, and vulching allowed. I hope BoB will be different than Il2 in that respect.

That said, I have successfully gone against targets with about 20 .50 cal AAA defenses and survived without a scratch. Maybe the skill level of the AAA was set too low.
Also, AAA placement is a tricky thing, and lots of map-makers put them immediately next to the strips. Anytime an enemy a/c zooms over the strip someone gets hit by his own AAA.