PDA

View Full Version : Original Japan Surrenders Leaflets

-HH-Quazi
03-11-2007, 12:45 AM
I just wanted to share something a friend blessed me with. A WWII veteran sent me these Japan Surrender leaflets that were actually dropped over all Japanese held territory at the time of their surrender. He was a Hellcat\Corsair pilot that started his service at Guadalcanal in 1942. I initially met him during his time in the Joint Ops Basic Flight School. He is an older gentleman and he appreciated me being patient with him during BFS. To show his appreciation, he wanted to share these original leaflets that were dropped over Japanese held territories informing them that their country had in fact surrendered and gave instructions on how to procede. He said he just grabbed a few as some airmen were loading the C-47's that were responsible for making the drops. He said he thought he would hold on to them and share them with his children that he was hopeful of having after he returned to civilian life. Sadly, he & his wife never had any children and he wanted this history to live on & he thought enough of me to share one of a very few sets he has. Out of all the museums he has visited over the years since the end of WWII, he said he has never seen these leaflets in any of them.

So I thought you guys might be interested in taking a look at history. A look at the actual leaflets that were dropped instructing Japanese soldiers, some who had no idea that their country had actually surrendered, that were still defending Japanese held territories soon after their country of Japan surrendered on how to properly & safely surrender.

The first leaflet is a front & back shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/HH_Quazi/SurrenderMapLeafletFront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/HH_Quazi/SurrenderMapLeaflet.jpg

The second leaflet contains actual map & grid coordinates on one side & a detailed explanation (I think) on the other side:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/HH_Quazi/MapofSurrender.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v684/HH_Quazi/JapaneseSurrenderInstructions.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy these. Not sure if they are clear enough for any kind of translation, but it would be interesting to know exactly what they were being told.

Waldo.Pepper
03-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Those are cool Quaz. I have some from the other side. Some that the Japanese dropped on allied troops trying to get them to surrender. They are surprisingly crude. I shall try and dug them up.

-HH-Dubbo
03-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Fantastic Quaz. I'm glad you were finally able to get them scanned. I too would be interested in an actual translation.

blairgowrie
03-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Very nice Quazi. I am sure our m8 FlatSpinMan could get them translated for you.

FlatSpinMan
03-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Interesting! I'll see if my wife can read them - they're way beyond me. By the way, not that it really matters but the top pic is upside down. I'll be out all day tomorrow so if someone else hasn't managed it I'll see what FlatSpinWoman can do.

ea4rj
03-11-2007, 08:02 AM
It is quite interesting. Last pic should be rotated 90ยบ to the right (according to J-anonymous, few posts below). Sure some of our nihongo speaking friends can confirm us and read it accuretly.

erco415
03-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Very, very cool there, Quazi. A real treasure!

Zeus-cat
03-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Do you want me to contact the National Museum of the US Air Force about these? They might be interested in getting a copy if they don't already have one.

bun-bun195333
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Awesome stuff, Quazi - thanks for sharing. What did he think of the Corsair's performance in the game versus real life?

BadA1m
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for sharing. I doooooo love all that history stuff! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

-HH-Quazi
03-11-2007, 11:06 AM
I couldn't tell right side up from upside down on a couple of them. If someone could confirm which ones need to be rotated (FlatSpinWoman, HEHE), or anyone else that knows, let me know & I'll get it done.

-HH-Quazi
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
Do you want me to contact the National Museum of the US Air Force about these? They might be interested in getting a copy if they don't already have one.

Last time I spoke with the m8 he said he had every intentions of sending originals to the National Air Force Museum in Dayton Zues. I will try to confirm if he has or is still going to. They deserve originals imo, not copies, don't you think?

Zeus-cat
03-11-2007, 11:15 AM
I meant an "original copy". A bad use of the word copy onmy part.

-HH-Quazi
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bun-bun195333:
Awesome stuff, Quazi - thanks for sharing. What did he think of the Corsair's performance in the game versus real life? Yea, trust me. I got his opinion on the Hellcat & Corsair. Even with the wobble we were experiencing so bad back then with the Corsairs nose, he said the only thing missing was the feel of gravity especially when coming over the top in a high speed maneuvor & that black outs\red outs didn't happen as quickly as the sim allows them to. Besides that, from his recollection, both ac were very, very close to the real thing. He also mentioned his age, 81, and that his memory might not be all it used to be. I know I watched him perform in a couple CTE's and JO BFS graduation festivities and the man is a deadly adversary. You could tell he knew how to properly fly those ac. He shot me down a time or two be sure, HEHE.

J_Anonymous
03-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Very interesting! The top image is upside down, though....

-HH-Quazi
03-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by J_Anonymous:
Very interesting! The top image is upside down, though.... Rgrt. When I find out which of the others needs rotating I will take care of it all at one time. Thanks!

J_Anonymous
03-11-2007, 02:02 PM
The bottom one also needs 90 degree rotation clockwise. Everything else is fine.

J_Anonymous
03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
The top image states something like this:

"Peace has arrived.

Japan surrendered.

Disengage from fight.

Peace has arrived."

The repeared statement of "Peace has arrived" is along the vertical line.

J_Anonymous
03-11-2007, 02:11 PM
The last image says "weekly pacific report" perhaps in 1944. It says "On Sep.14, (London) During last June, the allied forces landed and liberated France....." I guess the leaflet was dropped on Japanese forces to tell them that their fight was a lost cause. The map above indeed explains all bad news for the Japanese forces. For example, "Iwo, in September, US bombers bombed Iwo island."

bun-bun195333
03-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Yep, I figured the flight model was good. Amazing time those guys lived through.

Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bun-bun195333:
Awesome stuff, Quazi - thanks for sharing. What did he think of the Corsair's performance in the game versus real life? Yea, trust me. I got his opinion on the Hellcat & Corsair. Even with the wobble we were experiencing so bad back then with the Corsairs nose, he said the only thing missing was the feel of gravity especially when coming over the top in a high speed maneuvor & that black outs\red outs didn't happen as quickly as the sim allows them to. Besides that, from his recollection, both ac were very, very close to the real thing. He also mentioned his age, 81, and that his memory might not be all it used to be. I know I watched him perform in a couple CTE's and JO BFS graduation festivities and the man is a deadly adversary. You could tell he knew how to properly fly those ac. He shot me down a time or two be sure, HEHE. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FlatSpinMan
03-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Well looks like J_Anonymous got things sorted. I was curious what that strange diagram-bomb thing was so I asked FSW and she said the kanji in it mean something like - "Weekly news update, Pacific version part 15". If anyone wants I can possibly persuade her to do a more thorough translation.

FlatSpinMan
03-13-2007, 06:03 AM
PS - yay K-9 squadron! Hope to meet up with some online again one day. Maybe when Japan moves timezones.

-HH-Quazi
03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Just wanted confirmation with JA's suggestions. I will turn & rotate before the day is done. Might make it easier for translation, no, I am sure it would. HEHE