PDA

View Full Version : Refueling at alternate port

paulhager
08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
After reading a couple of people claiming that you could dock at other than your home port I tried it. I'd just completed the 2nd attack on the same convoy WNW of Ireland and picked off the last straggler. I was down to a couple of torps and it was time to head home. However, I was about as close to Bergen as I was to St. Nazaire so I decided to dock at the former. I charted my course to avoid British air cover. When I arrived at Bergen, I got the dock at Bergen option.

At Bergen I got the office screen and was able do the usual crewmanagement things. However, I couldn't access the ship/equipment screen. When I went get my patrol orders I got a destination NULL, and that I was to leave Bergen and go to St. Nazaire. This made sense - it was a continuation of the previous mission. However, not being able to alter my torp loadout was a bit of a pain. I've started carrying some T2's but I like to arrange them so that I can salvo fire. That means 2 T1's in tubes 1 & 4 or 1 & 3 and T2's in the other combination. The default is 2 T1's in tubes 1 & 2 and 2 T2's in the other two. There's no 2-torp salvo option that would for that combination.

Mik1984
08-31-2005, 08:16 AM
That is annoying, why they can't simply make the torpedo outfit of the previous mission as default.

fizilbert
08-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Take a look at your dates too, you probably spent a month in Bergen fueling up. That seems to happen whenever you go to any port, an automatic 1 month is slapped onto the calendar. Pretty annoying.

Anton_Reinhold
08-31-2005, 03:31 PM
I was poking around in some of the SHIII program files the other day and it seems to me that 28 days in port is the norm between missions. Add to this various amounts of time for any upgrading you have done if any.
I also remember seeing a file that contained the specifications of the torpedo tube salvos and was wondering if I could change it for the same reason you have. I would want to be able to select tubes 1 and 2, tubes 3 and 4, or all 4 as a salvo option, which would make sense since they are port and starboard pairs. The only reason I did not try it was I wasn't sure how the graphics showing the dial's selections would interact afterwards. I'll try it on a single mission and do another post on this thread later...

Maj_Solo
08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I agree with you all completely, if we are simulating then maybe we could have the option to simulate what kind of docking it is.

I think it is good that you can't upgrade your boat in a neutral harbor, but depending on what kind of harbour it is and how far it is away from Germany would tell what you could do in that harbour. Only refuel just to get back to base .... in any sub-harbour with the right gear you should be able to get upgrades if the equip and competent personnel is there, things like these you could ask for, and maybe more real ORDERS from BdU, like no you ***** you get the fuel and come home, the equip that is in that harbor is planned to be installed in another boat ..... anyway you get what I mean, a simulation of the logistics and plans and what is available in each harbour .....

So it could be a quick docking or a long one depending on how much time the crew has put in. If you make a dash out of Brest and is skilled/lucky enough to encounter a convoy and dash right back within 3 days you should be able to keep the crew on the boat get torps and fuel and try chase the convoy again, BdU excited on the radio, subs trying to track it, you out of port going at racer boat speed .... all kinds of fun things could happen in the sim if BdU had something that resembled an AI brain and that BdU was trying to fight the war with available resources and radioed you to go there and then there and .....

I wonder what they put their effort in for next major release ..... more graphics???

Anton_Reinhold
08-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Anton_Reinhold:
I was poking around in some of the SHIII program files the other day and it seems to me that 28 days in port is the norm between missions. Add to this various amounts of time for any upgrading you have done if any.

I also remember seeing a file that contained the specifications of the torpedo tube salvos and was wondering if I could change it for the same reason you have. I would want to be able to select tubes 1 and 2, tubes 3 and 4, or all 4 as a salvo option, which would make sense since they are port and starboard pairs. The only reason I did not try it was I wasn't sure how the graphics showing the dial's selections would interact afterwards. I'll try it on a single mission and do another post on this thread later...

OK, I tried it and it works great!!! If only I had tried this before http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif This is the file I changed in order to change the salvo selector switch for the Type VIIb:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine\NSS_U boat7b

To change the others just change the last part to whatever boat you want to modify. This also happens to be the same file that alot of people are altering the conditions in which you can or cannot use the deck gun and flak gun(s)

Chrystine
08-31-2005, 05:44 PM
€œThe default is 2 T1's in tubes 1 & 2 and 2 T2's in the other two. There's no 2-torp salvo option that would for that combination.€

..But actually there is€¦
It is possible to fire a combo salvo of Type I €" Type II and/or Type III, torpedoes. Just set the speed of the Type I (G7a) to 30 knots, and it works like a charm.

Best, & happy hunting!
~ C.

Anton_Reinhold
08-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Well what we are trying to get at, I think, is that firing a steam powered eel alongside an electric eel defeats the purpose of the electric eel's stealthy approach to the target. Sometimes I like to use the electrics since they leave no wake at all, especially against a warship that will have many lookouts posted. With the change I made to the selector switch, I can now select a salvo of tubes 1 and 2 or tubes 3 and 4. Those pairs are by default, loaded with 2 different types of torpedoes at the base. Sometimes when you change your loadout, it doesn't "stick" for some reason and reverts back to the original or maybe just some of the changes remain. Now I don't have to worry about it at all.