PDA

View Full Version : What the?!? OT- are websites now blocking images from search engines??

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm looking for a particular photo that RT Smith took of himself while with the Flying Tigers. It is called "Self portrait at 20,000 feet" if I recall

Well, I just went to Yahoo, clicked 'images' and typed in RT Smith

About half of the thumbnails that should have come up (this is how I found the pic over the summer) are not there! Now a small message is where the thumbnail should be: goto fullsize image

What the bloody blue blazes is the image search good for now, if I have to actually go to all these websites to see if it's the right photo?!

This wasn't the case when I used Yahoo search last week, and it wasn't the case over the summer

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 07:11 AM
I'm looking for a particular photo that RT Smith took of himself while with the Flying Tigers. It is called "Self portrait at 20,000 feet" if I recall

Well, I just went to Yahoo, clicked 'images' and typed in RT Smith

About half of the thumbnails that should have come up (this is how I found the pic over the summer) are not there! Now a small message is where the thumbnail should be: goto fullsize image

What the bloody blue blazes is the image search good for now, if I have to actually go to all these websites to see if it's the right photo?!

This wasn't the case when I used Yahoo search last week, and it wasn't the case over the summer

John_Wayne_
01-01-2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.tigersflying.com/index.html ?

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 07:49 AM
No, although that is a great photo

RT Smith took that from his aircraft over the Salween in may of '42. I have contacted his son, Brad, concerning that photo. Arvid Olsen is flying Charles Older's 'White 68' in the photo, which was taken while on a combat patrol! I haven't been in touch with Brad Smith for a while, but he was very helpful and gracious

the one I am looking for is a black and white phot, taken from the cockpit of RT Smith's P-40, with the camera (presumably) strapped to the control stick. The view angle catches RT Smith from about the mid thigh up, looking up at him from a low position as he peers out the side of the canopy. Very interesting photo

In addition to being a great pilot, RT Smith was a great photographer

By the way, if you pick up David "Tex" Hill's book, you can get a photo page in it, in which a photo is reproduced that shows John Wayne hanging out with Tex at a bar. Funny photo actually

FoolTrottel
01-01-2006, 07:55 AM
http://www.flyingtigersvideo.com/album5.html

Google's yer friend!

Chuck_Older
01-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Well, I remembered the photo a little wrong, but that one is it! Thanks