PDA

View Full Version : Weapons Wheel

SWJS
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Okay, so after reading the collaboration of article into so graciously posted by Cornik22 here (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5251069024/m/1301078387?r=1301078387#1301078387), I saw that it has been confirmed that the game has a Weapons Wheel, and I was both intrigued and excited by this.

"Now it's possible to open Ezio's radial weapons menu and poison your hidden dagger. While the menus are still a work in progress, there is a brand new weapon selection system, which uses a wheel similar to that seen in the Ratchet and Clank games."

What are your thoughts on this?

For those of you who have no idea in the gaming world what I'm talking about: A weapons wheel is a relatively new and ever more increasingly common gameplay feature that was first seen, as the articles stated, in the Rachet and Clank series, and soon after in the Destroy All Humans! and Saints Row series. What it is, is a quick inventory, commonly in the shape of a circle, which can be opened up by holding down a single button, and using the thumbstick to quickly select one of the many options. Weapons Wheels can contain other items other than weapons as well, including health items, or puzzle items. Some weapons wheels even have a sub-wheel which contains droppable items. Most weapons wheels pause gameplay while in use, but there are some that do not.

Personally, I think it is a great addition to ACII, as now it should be easy to quickly select a weapon or item. I only wonder how they intend to pull it off.

LaurenIsSoMosh
08-23-2009, 04:50 PM
The most recent game I've played that has a "weapons" wheel was [PROTOTYPE]. It went beyond weapons though and also included disguises and armor forms, and even vision modes. It slowed down the gameplay drastically for the first few seconds, but if you took too long to take your pick, which was often the case, the speed went back to normal.

Gotta say, it was terrible and somewhat painful to use in a fight or while on the run from a strike team, the two things I spent 95% of the time doing. Here's to hoping AC II will have a better system.

If this is truly still a work in progress, I'd like to suggest to the developers that they make the time freeze or permanently slow down while in this menu. When [PROTOTYPE] punished you for taking too long to pick, that was frustrating and utterly unacceptable for such complicated, messy and slightly unorganized selections.

If AC II's selections are really this intricate, having the speed return to normal during combat or free running could be extremely deterring to the gameplay. They would get along about as much as a cat and a dog in a small cardboard box. XD

But as I said, here's to hoping it's the best it can be. With all the innovation I've seen so far in this franchise, I anticipate that it'll be added seamlessly.

thekyle0
08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
My theory is that they will need two wheels. One would be needed for each hand. The first for weapons in Ezio's primary hand, and the second for tools in the secondary hand. Say you equip poison. When you press the free hand button it will poison the hidden blades.

john63
08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
The wheel system might only be used when you have plenty of time to plan an attack. I mean, you wouldn't really take the time to poison your hidden blade if there were several guards surrounding you.

I think they might have the weapons wheel available for the more complex weapons, like the poison or the pistol, and have the D-pad for weapons that require no preparation, like... smoke bombs, throwing knives, hiddem blade, and fists.

Or maybe you can assign certain weapons to the D-pad, based on what you like, so you can change quickly...

Slartibartfast7
08-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I think they might do a half-life 2 wheel. That is, 2-3 weapon assigned to each d-pad button. You press it once for the first, twice for the second, and so on. It sounds like it would take a long time but it is actually fairly fast and easy.

Account_Deleted
08-23-2009, 11:59 PM
weapnos wheel= more than 4 weapons http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Xanatos2007
08-24-2009, 12:03 AM
It's probably similar to the suit controls in Crysis and power selection in Prototype. Which is excellent in my opinion.

Stormpen
08-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Cool, but I thought Assassins were against using poison?

Account_Deleted
08-24-2009, 12:57 AM
only agasint food posining

Stormpen
08-24-2009, 01:00 AM
only agasint food posining

Well I suppose it doesn't matter becoz sticking ur hidden blade into someone is pretty effective, tippin it with poison just speeds up/slows down the process.

SWJS
08-24-2009, 01:09 AM
They compared it to the weapons wheel from Rachet and Clank, and they said it was radial, as in circular. It's quite plausible that it will be a quick radial inventory, such as the one from Saints Row 2.

They didn't use poison, originally. But I believe Ezio wont follow the creed as closly as Altair. Ezio is smarter, more quick to use his wits to get the job done, rather than his strength. They also didn't say the poison killed the victim. It just makes them insane. The victim wont be killed by the poison, but by the people for murder, since it looks like they are mad.

davethepaveway
08-24-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Stormpen:
nothing is false everything is permitted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

FROGGEman2
08-24-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by EzioTheAssassin:
They compared it to the weapons wheel from Rachet and Clank, and they said it was radial, as in circular. It's quite plausible that it will be a quick radial inventory, such as the one from Saints Row 2.

They didn't use poison, originally. But I believe Ezio wont follow the creed as closly as Altair. Ezio is smarter, more quick to use his wits to get the job done, rather than his strength. They also didn't say the poison killed the victim. It just makes them insane. The victim wont be killed by the poison, but by the people for murder, since it looks like they are mad.

They did, in one of the GC interviews. No, I can't be bothered to go through all the interviews to find the exact quote, just trust me.

SWJS
08-24-2009, 02:47 AM
I was referring to the Assassins when I said "they". I'm well aware of the updates.

Cornik22
08-24-2009, 01:39 PM
If I were them I would make a weaponīs wheel... of fortune. Basically you spin the wheel and some random weapon ends up in your hands. That would make the game even more unpredictable.
Ezio: "Wtf?! I need an axe, not a poison vial!" Bam! You are dead.

L.Cie
08-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm both for and against the weapons wheel, it might end up being overly complicated in the heat of battle but we haven't seen it yet after all. I've used them in the Ratchet and Clank, Resistance and other series and they're pretty efficient though they usually pause the gameplay when open. I hope there's an option to turn that on and off.
On the other hand, it makes it possible to utilize a wide variety of weapons.

Danvish
08-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I couldn't agree with Lauren more.
In Prototype the wheel was terrible... You had to press the 5 button, and then to goggle with one of the circles (can't remember what they are called) while holding the running button and the sprint button... Was a total mess.

If they do have a wheel, they would have to make it simple to deploy while fighting. When you have 10 guards around you, you don't have time to bare with a complicated weapon-changing system.

SBRedFlag
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
If anyone has played the Syphon Filter games for PSP, although it wasn't exactly a "wheel" the menus for selecting weapons and items worked extremely well, and accounted for picked up items and such.

Basically, you pressed left on the d-pad, gameplay would pause, and thumbnails of all of your items would pop up, each with a corresponding face button to press if you want to select it. If you pressed right on the d-pad, it's the same, but it would display your weapons instead.

Edit: I'm told Batman: Arkham Asylum employed a similar system.

Danvish
08-25-2009, 12:34 PM
I think we all agree that if the wheel takes more than 2 secs to choose a weapon and is a bit complicated one (which is fine) they must stop the game.

bornforhaze
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
so just before you kill someone you will open the wheel and select your weapon of choice? sounds good.

Danvish
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Was that cynisim?

Charlie_Romeo
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
i thinks its gonna be tricky to do well. Every1 wants more wepons but it has to get more complex so its finding a balance of the amount of wepons and the speed/ease of getting at them

caswallawn_2k7
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
I dont like the sound of the weapon wheel unless it is a setup process used in your hide out to setup your weapon load out before you leave, as having access to all weapons at all times would just seem wrong.

godsmack_darius
08-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I agree with Cas 100%

Like, in AC1

You could see all ypur weapons, coz you pulled them out of your sheath

But I hope in this one, you dont just pull a weapon out of nowhere, so it is an excuse ohave all the weapon at the same time, and I believe some said choos a weapon for each hand, that would sound good, but if you had a broad sword then it should take up more rom since its a two-handed weapon

Charlie_Romeo
08-25-2009, 02:51 PM
how many wepons would you want in this wheel then? Around 5 including hidden blades as 1.

Just a thought could the wheel actually be for like smoke bombs and other little things other than sowrds and knives?????

godsmack_darius
08-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I hope it isnt like some games where you just pull the weapon out of knowhere, I hate it when they do that

Or like on sniper Elite where you just have weapon all over you

But I will only agree with the weapon wheel, if certain weapons take up certain room, for exmaple, a two handed weapon takes more room then a short sword or dagger

Charlie_Romeo
08-25-2009, 03:00 PM
or maybe only be allowed 1 heavey wepon and two light wepons?

SBRedFlag
08-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I think each space on the wheel is going to be dedicated to a different weapon type, and you can only have one of each type at a time. So for example, you can't have two axes, but you can have an axe and a dagger (assuming you can carry the axes). However, the big weapons also may be non-transportable, so you have to discard it at the end of every fight.

caswallawn_2k7
08-25-2009, 03:42 PM
in theory they have said there will be 30 weapons and carrying all that would just be wrong. due to the way Ezio looks you should realy only carry a sword, possibly a dagger/throwing knives, your hidden blades/gun and a small selection utility devices such as smoke bombs.

realy carrying any more stuff would be unrealistic and would make him stand out way too much considering they say he can blend with any crowd.

Slartibartfast7
08-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Ya like i said a half life wheel. (half life examples)The 3 long range weapons are up. The 3 short range are left. the 3 explosives are right. And three miscellaneous ones are on the bottom. Takes about half a second to choose the third weapon. and since Ezio should only carrey 5-ish weapons it will work fine.
@cswain. sorry mate, i knew that but I hit the wrong button on accident

thekyle0
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Actually the assassinations won't work clumsy because if the target is unaware then Ezio will automatically use the hidden blade.

obliviondoll
08-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by thekyle0:
Actually the assassinations won't work clumsy because if the target is unaware then Ezio will automatically use the hidden blade.
We hope...

thekyle0
08-25-2009, 08:52 PM
It's actually been confirmed.

http://www.nextgn.com/2009/04/...story-posted-online/ (http://www.nextgn.com/2009/04/12/game-informers-assassins-creed-2-cover-story-posted-online/)

Read the description of the picture where Ezio is about to do an air-to-assassinate on a seeker.

obliviondoll
08-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Well that's ok then. Thanks for that one, must have missed it.

Also, on the actual topic...

I hope you have a quick weapon select like the AC one, and the weapon wheel for "inventory" type actions. Weapon wheel selects left and right weapons, left for ranged weapon (selected through weapon wheel) and right for selecting sword or dropping a weapon stolen from your opponent.

Danvish
08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
You know, I think we can already assume what Ezio will have in the wheel:

1. hidden blade(s)
2. throwing knives
3. gun
4. poison
5. healing device
6. smoke bomb
7.primary weapon (a weapon he carries on him)

I do think that for the big weapons (axes/swords/maces) that when you pick them, they'll become your weapon for the moment, and if you choose another weapon, they'll automaticly drop. I doubt you'll be able to draw out both a spear and to switch it instantly with an axe, as it would be completly not realistic.

ezio-simoli
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
If you want to see how the weapon wheel looks like check this link out -> http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...ssassins-creed/55671 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-09-assassins-creed/55671) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Personally i think its raly cool bt if you have 2 go to the weapins wheel efvery time to switch weapons that would slow down the games pace.. so we can assume that we can use the D-pad.. Hopefuly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

thekyle0
09-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Buddy, look at the post time. That video wasn't released when this discussion happened. Pay more attention.

SBRedFlag
09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Health potioins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif

Edengoth
09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Don't be sorry, c-swain. I'm impressed.

@sbredflag
Yeah, but it looks like they make sense now and don't come cheap. (Personally, I was worried that it would end up a matter of grinding up enough money to 99 out your inventory.) And you ninja'd me! Karma is fun!

caswallawn_2k7
09-09-2009, 05:05 PM
glad I'm playing on PC stuff like that is fiddly with a analog stick when your trying to do it fast.

IEzioI
09-09-2009, 05:08 PM
i think its a great addition to the game but i want to see it in action before i start praising it.

SBRedFlag
09-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I like your sig btw IEzioI

I guess, I don't remember seeing the price for the potions.

Xanatos2007
09-09-2009, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by sbredflag:
They're probably just lifesavers to save you from the brink of death, which makes sense. Around the time of the Reneissance there had been much interest in alchemy, seems like a plausible feature to put in ACII.

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by sbredflag:
Health potioins http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif I'm actually glad they're adding it.

The less games that have fully regenerative health, the better.

As for the topic at hand, I really hope we can assign things to hot keys so that we don't have to open up the wheel during combat or free running.
Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
glad I'm playing on PC stuff like that is fiddly with a analog stick when your trying to do it fast. Psh! After awhile, it becomes second nature. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Sypron
09-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Xanatos2007:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sbredflag:
They're probably just lifesavers to save you from the brink of death, which makes sense. Around the time of the Reneissance there had been much interest in alchemy, seems like a plausible feature to put in ACII. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except alchemy is the study of transmuting common metals into gold. You're thinking of medicine.

Hopefully those poitions will replace auto-regen health. And they won't restore you fully, just enough so you can get yourself to a Doctor for serious wound treatment.

For all those worrying about the wheel slowing down gameplay I encourage you to play Crysis. Just for a bit, anyway. You have a wheel that's used to select which 'Suit power mode' you want to use. You hold a button (keyboard, C was default I think) then a circle pops up with 5 options spread around it. You push the mouse in the direction of the item you want, and then release the key. Time didn't stop while you do this, but once you remember where each item is (not very hard) you can change the suit power mode in a very, VERY short amount of time.

Now the AC2 one has more options, but luckily it freezes time. Which seems realistic, because the action of 'choosing what weapon I want to use' doesn't take any time in reality. I assume that after you choose a weapon it becomes 'active', and hitting the 'attack' button will actually cause you to unsheath or use it.

MrNussbaum
09-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by c-swain:
looks alright.
not quite sure how the whole use sword/hidden blade will work out but we'll see..

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb150/CSHorrus/Picture17.png

EDIT: sorry for the shoddy writing, my image editing program has all but died, so i used word + screenshots to get this.

[i can get you this image without the writing if you want it]

Here's what I'm thinking. The weapons at the immediate points, North, East, South, West...based on your picture-the hidden blade, sword, fists, and smoke bombs-will be able to be switched to in game using the d-pad like in AC-1. I think in the Patrice walkthrough, he switched to the smoke bombs without going into the weapon wheel. All the other stuff you'll have to open up the weapon wheel to select them.

We may also be able to select which weapons are put at North, East, South, and West.

caswallawn_2k7
09-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Except alchemy is the study of transmuting common metals into gold. You're thinking of medicine.
your only taking into account the common view of an alchemist, in actually fact they did many things in chemistry. you have to think one of their main goals was to develop an elixir that could extend life eternally and cure all injuries and diseases. proving that medicine was actually one of their main focuses as you don't just jump in at the deep end and start with the thing that does it all.

NoxieDC
09-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Pardon me while I kill the neighbor who's drilling through every possible wall.

Ok, what I wanted to say. The writing helps the weapon wheel, take the idea Ubi people. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Also, what other 2 things to we get later on in that wheel? I'm thinking some kind of cannon (or big, loud, effective weapon) and a subtle killing/getaway mechanic.

MrNussbaum
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by NoxieDC:

Also, what other 2 things to we get later on in that wheel?

If you've ever seen The Naked Gun, one has to be a pillow to throw in a guy's face. It could be an alternate to the smoke bombs.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C29-gLZLt9s

Cornik22
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
In the demo Patrice is seen changing the primary weapon (sword, hidden blade, ...) numerous times without using the wheel. Maybe in the final version the wheel will be just an option, just in case you donīt remember which buttom was assigned to to this or that.

MrNussbaum
09-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Cornik22:
In the demo Patrice is seen changing the primary weapon (sword, hidden blade, ...) numerous times without using the wheel. Maybe in the final version the wheel will be just an option, just in case you donīt remember which buttom was assigned to to this or that.

But already there are 10 items on the wheel with what looks like a possibility of 12. Assuming the d-pad is the way we would switch weapons (like in AC1) and using a 360 controller, there are only 8 spaces, if it uses the same scheme as Batman:AA, Oblivion, or Fallout.

Maybe it would be something like, for example, you select your sword by pressing "right" on the d-pad. Looking at the weapon wheel, the short sword, could be considered a secondary weapon to the long sword. Maybe pressing another button would switch between the secondary and primary weapons of that place on the d-pad.

Just thinking out loud.

SBRedFlag
09-11-2009, 03:00 PM
The wheel doesn't look very graphically interesting... but I guess it's fine. It serves its purpose.

I'm just wondering how you'll select which one you want to switch to out of the 10 things that you have... Say, if the weapons wheel button on PS3 was R2 (unused in AC1) would you use the analog stick to steer from there?

thekyle0
09-11-2009, 06:39 PM
That seems most likely.

Biomedical-Fire
09-11-2009, 07:41 PM
The weapons/biotic powers wheel's worked decently in Mass Effect, when accessing them it stops the action giving you time to select what you need. The only thing that I didn't like about them is, they slowed down the action and I like fast pace action, it took some time to get used to them, so I'm sure it will be the same with AC2.

Xanatos2007
09-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Sypron:
For all those worrying about the wheel slowing down gameplay I encourage you to play Crysis.
Or the power selection wheel from Prototype, the game slows down temporarily when you open it up.

jigh23
09-13-2009, 04:38 AM
to be honest i hope they change the look of it, and when patrice selects different things in the demo, it moves very rough and sounds bad.

just my opinion.

but cornik cant you tell us if you can assign whatever you want to the dpad? im sure you know.

SBRedFlag
09-13-2009, 06:39 AM
How exactly would Cornik know?And even if he did, I'm sure he's not allowed to tell us.

thekyle0
09-13-2009, 06:59 AM
The accepted theory is that he has a source on the inside. But you're right about one thing. He is not allowed to tell us.

NoxieDC
09-13-2009, 07:22 AM
He hasn't hinted at anything new for a long time. He's even been surprised by some of the recent material, so I think we've sucked everything we could from him.

On a more joyful note, we know that this is still a work-in-progress wheel/HUD.

thekyle0
09-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Was he really surprised? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

But I think a few articles back from Gamescom mentioned that they thought the wheel was still a work in progress as well.

Cornik22
09-13-2009, 10:02 AM
But Cornik cant you tell us if you can assign whatever you want to the dpad? im sure you know.
I have no idea. By the way, Iíll play the pc version http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

He hasn't hinted at anything new for a long time. He's even been surprised by some of the recent material, so I think we've sucked everything we could from him.
I feel really comfortable in this forum. I donít want to be banned and thatís exactly what will happen if I keep talking (ask Realjambo if you donít believe me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif)

But I think a few articles back from Gamescom mentioned that they thought the wheel was still a work in progress as well.
If you want my OPINION, the wheel and the minimap are just placeholders. Probably they will be replaced in the final game.

thekyle0
09-13-2009, 10:06 AM
If you want my OPINION, the wheel and the minimap are just placeholders. Probably they will be replaced in the final game. A very wise way to put it. But is it possible that this opinion is based on facts that you're keeping secret? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

SBRedFlag
09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
shhh http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/zipmouth.gif

Don't want to get Cornik banned do you?

jigh23
09-14-2009, 02:09 AM
haha, cornik makes me feel better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

the amolang
09-14-2009, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by jigh23:
haha, cornik makes me feel better http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

yes he does, he is awesome isn't he?

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Various TGS videos and interviews show that the weapon wheel will pause combat indefinitely.

I very much hope this means there will be a hot key system for anyone who doesn't want that interruption in between stabbing dudes where the sun don't shine.

DeSabellis
09-25-2009, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
Various TGS videos and interviews show that the weapon wheel will pause combat indefinitely.

I very much hope this means there will be a hot key system for anyone who doesn't want that interruption in between stabbing dudes where the sun don't shine.

Well, assuming there is not hot key system.... what exactly would we use the d-pad for? I think it can be logically deduced that there is a hot key system, or the odds of it are extremely high at the very least.

Grandmaster_Z
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
i dont like games where you can carry like 10 different weapons. just give me a short blade and ill be good..

jimbo11235813
09-25-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
i dont like games where you can carry like 10 different weapons. just give me a short blade and ill be good..
I don't like games like that either, but I don't think assassins creed 2 will be like that. From the shop (as seen in the TGS video) you can buy Weapons, or small weapons. In the ten slots in assassins creed 2, there are only 2 hand held weapons. I'm guessing that the majority of the slots are taken by the gadgets (like hidden blade+ gun), money, throwing knives and the health potion/med. Only two slots (not including throwing knives) are allocated to handheld weapons. However, I'm gonna guess that you will still be able to disarm and use enemies weapons regardless whether these slots are taken.
Also, I have noticed that the health med and the smoke bombs have swapped when you compare the Florence walkthrough and the new TGS Venice @ Night gameplay. I think this may mean you can move the weapons to the slots of your preference (and the slots at 'north', 'east', 'west', and 'south' slots may be able to be selected by using the d-buttons)

Outlawx
09-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by jimbo_323:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Grandmaster_Z:
I don't like games like that either, but I don't think assassins creed 2 will be like that. From the shop (as seen in the TGS video) you can buy Weapons, or small weapons. In the ten slots in assassins creed 2, there are only 2 hand held weapons. I'm guessing that the majority of the slots are taken by the gadgets (like hidden blade+ gun), money, throwing knives and the health potion/med. Only two slots (not including throwing knives) are allocated to handheld weapons. However, I'm gonna guess that you will still be able to disarm and use enemies weapons regardless whether these slots are taken.
Also, I have noticed that the health med and the smoke bombs have swapped when you compare the Florence walkthrough and the new TGS Venice @ Night gameplay. I think this may mean you can move the weapons to the slots of your preference (and the slots at 'north', 'east', 'west', and 'south' slots may be able to be selected by using the d-buttons) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that makes a lot of sense. if thats the case that we can organize our most used weapons/items to fit with the d-pad, then the weapon wheel wouldn't be that annoying.

Losk_
09-25-2009, 12:44 PM
I wonder if those 2 gaps are going to be filled in or not. It could be they want some whitespace to separate your wrist-based weapons from the rest, but there could also be some surprises they don't want to give away that will fill out the wheel...

DiamondBlade_R
09-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I believe that if there was an option to cycle between different weapons without using the Weapon Wheel, we would've already seen it by now.

Losk_
09-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by DiamondBlade_R:
I believe that if there was an option to cycle between different weapons without using the Weapon Wheel, we would've already seen it by now.

They've switched weapons without opening the wheel in the pax video (I think that was the one we saw it in anyway)

knowing1993
09-25-2009, 02:16 PM
EDIT: Crap what I was afraid of hope no one saw that post. I looked like an ***. Ok yes he switched from the money puch (illegal PAX demo) to the sword without opening up the weapons wheel. I think he may have also dont this with smokebombs but i cannot remember.

thekyle0
09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
The E3 demo they didn't have to select the smoke bombs with the wheel. If nobody else noticed, the design of the weapons wheel still hasn't been replaced.

knowing1993
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
nonono you misunderstand i still mean in the illegal footage of the pax demo played by patrice i know he selected sword and i think smoke bombs *sigh* i will go check

and i dont think it has been replace i just think there is another option like using the dpad as mentioned before to select 4 main waepons

hold on do i misunderstand are you saying that there is another button for smoke bombs or because it was not like a mission they could just do that?

knowing1993
09-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry i was wrong about the smoke bombs. So hang me. He used the weapons wheel. But i rechecked the guard slaughtering the civillian scene and he didnt use the wheel to select the sword.

EDIT: Ok sorry for double post but i dont like doing huge edited ones. So hang me ... again :P
AND a later edit he didnt sued the weapons wheel he used it. Once again I am unfit to have a mouth.

LaurenIsSoMosh
09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
*shrugs*

At worst my concerns are that the d-pad is dedicated and set in stone for certain types of weapons or items.

EDIT: that was directed at DeSabellis. LoL, clicked to reply yesterday and didn't submit until today, and a page happens in between. Go, me.

knowing1993
09-26-2009, 02:53 AM
wow yesterday huh, that is so cool! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

thekyle0
09-26-2009, 08:07 AM
By "replaced" I mean redesigned. It looked like a beta model to me that was only going to be temporary while ubi was showing off some of the game world.

TheEpicWolf
09-26-2009, 11:00 AM
By "replaced" I mean redesigned. It looked like a beta model to me that was only going to be temporary while ubi was showing off some of the game world.
It does look like a beta version let's just hope that it really is though because having to basically pause the game to change weapons would slow things down.
I'm sure you're right though Ubi know what their doing http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Losk_
09-27-2009, 09:50 PM
New hands-on write-up from Joystiq.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09...s-creed-2/#continued (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/27/tgs-2009-hands-on-assassins-creed-2/#continued)

It confirms that the d-pad is used to select without opening the wheel, however it does not say if you can customize which items are on each direction.

banner420
09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
where does it confirm that the dpad can be used w.o the wheel in that article?

i really dont like the idea of a weapons wheel..hopefully the dpad will be usuable w.o the wheel

Losk_
09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by banner420:
where does it confirm that the dpad can be used w.o the wheel in that article?

i really dont like the idea of a weapons wheel..hopefully the dpad will be usuable w.o the wheel
The increased interactivity within the world can be social, allowing you to utilize vagrants and prostitutes to your advantage, or more personal, like the somewhat inexplicable health potions in your pocket (accessible via the d-pad).
The health potions (or smelling salts as they were called in a more recent article) are on the wheel, but not at one of the cardinal directions, and also on the d-pad (according to joystiq).

banner420
09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
oh ok..i think the dpad should be as following

right-long sword
down-short sword
left-smelling salts
up-hidden blades

Stevenk614
09-30-2009, 12:01 AM
well i like the thot of having a weapon wheel...it worked great in twilight princess!

banner420
09-30-2009, 12:04 AM
im not saying it wont be good i just rly hope the dpad is used so i dont have to use the wheel everytime

SWJS
09-30-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't think the wheel will slow down gameplay at all. It's definately better than pausing, and going into two different menus to select weapons and items.

Once we learn where all the items are on the wheel, we'll be in and out of the wheel before you can say Flying Machine.

Xanatos2007
09-30-2009, 12:56 AM
"Flying mach-" hey, you're right!

banner420
09-30-2009, 12:59 AM
and the illegal pax demo thing proves you can use the dpad yayyyy http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif b4 he goes to assassinate the 2 guards in front of the catacomp he says let me switch back to my hidden blades and then does it with out the wheel yayyy

guipit
10-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I hope you can atleast set the dpad with the stuff your going to be using.

I played AC1 without the HUD recently and it felt way more immersive without it.

DiamondBlade_R
10-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by guipit:
I hope you can atleast set the dpad with the stuff your going to be using.

I played AC1 without the HUD recently and it felt way more immersive without it.
Please don't bump old threads.

Xanatos2007
10-10-2009, 02:04 PM
It's only 12 days old, but nevertheless...
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7351/zombiethread.jpg

Dec.2012
10-10-2009, 06:00 PM
To me, the wheel seems to be a good add in the game, since there are plenty of weapons.

I'm just worried that it would slowdown game play, or just be too hard to choose a weapon.

Also, maybe they could do a combination to the old weapon selection and this wheel, being the left, right and up are hot-keys for your personal favorites, and then holding down and using the analog stick to choose other weapons.

banner420
10-10-2009, 06:17 PM
watch some vids you'l see that the dpad is gonna be used for hot keys..its been confirmed

NuclearFuss
10-11-2009, 06:16 AM
watch some vids you'l see that the dpad is gonna be used for hot keys..its been confirmed

When was that confirmed, maybe they just didn't want give away what the weapons wheel will look like.

Dec.2012
10-11-2009, 08:08 AM

That's good. How does it work? What weapons are hot-keyed?

younas456
10-11-2009, 08:42 AM
My theory is that they will need two wheels. One would be needed for each hand. The first for weapons in Ezio's primary hand, and the second for tools in the secondary hand. Say you equip poison. When you press the free hand button it will poison the hidden blades.

it whould be cool ig you have one wheel but two volumes one for using the left hand whit left thumb and right thumb for right hand.

NuclearFuss
10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by younas456:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thekyle0:

it whould be cool ig you have one wheel but two volumes one for using the left hand whit left thumb and right thumb for right hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but you don't need to select things for both hands, because the hidden blades work together on their own when two guards are near each other.

thekyle0
10-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by sackboy411:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by banner420:

When was that confirmed, maybe they just didn't want give away what the weapons wheel will look like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You can see pretty clear confirmation that the d-pad can be used to quickly switch to another weapon in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNej3aZ2Ni4) at 3:17. Just keep your eyes on the weapon icon in the bottom left.

Originally posted by Dec.2012:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by banner420:
That's good. How does it work? What weapons are hot-keyed? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> We don't know how it will work. There's a theory that you will be able to assign weapons and items to different buttons of the d-pad. However, that's still a theory.

If they can't be assigned, I imagine they will be arrayed something like this:
Up:....... Hidden blade(s)
Right:.... Primary weapon
Left:..... Smoke bombs
Down:..... Fists

I base this list on 1:15 of this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NzkHRSwaQ). The position of the items on the d-pad correspond with the positions of the items on the wheel.

NuclearFuss
10-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Oh right I didn't bother watching that video when I saw it on youtube because it looked pretty rubbish (picture quality, not the game itself).

DeSabellis
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
The E3 demo didn't use the weapon wheel at all to switch from bare hands to the smoke bombs. It would be hard to imagine that they just got rid of that function.

LivingAlien_boy
10-16-2009, 12:56 PM
You cant putt on your weapon wheel all the weapons but only the ones you equipped from your villa i dont now if you arledy told this sorry

I know i suck at writhing in english i'm italian

thekyle0
10-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I noticed some changes with the weapons wheel.

These are 2 reference pictures. The one on the left is from the Florence Gameplay walkthrough; the one on the right is from the Venice TGS walkthrough.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/thekyle0/weaponswheel1.jpg http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/thekyle0/weaponswheel2.jpg

The first thing I'll point out is that in the second wheel there is an arrow pointing from the center to the item being selected. Since Ubi added this to the wheel, it makes me wonder if anything else might be changed on it.

Also, the medicine icon and the smoke bomb icon have switched places on each wheel. This has two possible meanings. Either the developers decided to switch them, or it is possible for the players to change the position of items on the wheel.

Also, the numbers have been removed from the coin icon. I'm not sure what to make of this. My best guess would be that the developers decided it was unnecesary considering the player can see how much money they have from the usual HUD.

Losk_
10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I noticed some changes with the weapons wheel.

These are 2 reference pictures. The one on the left is from the Florence Gameplay walkthrough; the one on the right is from the Venice TGS walkthrough.
http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/thekyle0/weaponswheel1.jpg http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad105/thekyle0/weaponswheel2.jpg

The first thing I'll point out is that in the second wheel there is an arrow pointing from the center to the item being selected. Since Ubi added this to the wheel, it makes me wonder if anything else might be changed on it.

Also, the medicine icon and the smoke bomb icon have switched places on each wheel. This has two possible meanings. Either the developers decided to switch them, or it is possible for the players to change the position of items on the wheel.

Also, the numbers have been removed from the coin icon. I'm not sure what to make of this. My best guess would be that the developers decided it was unnecesary considering the player can see how much money they have from the usual HUD.

Good analysis, I'll add one more thing I noticed.
In the photo on the right side you can see they do not have the hidden gun yet. However the diamond shape background remains. Makes me assume that the gaps on the wheel that separates the wrist weapons are by design and that those spaces will not be filled by some unannounced weaponry.

EzioAssassin51
11-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Sorry for bumping this but...

Here is my theory on the wheel based on both the posts in this thread and my own stuff:

The D-Pad might be used as quick select but you might be able to customize the LEFT key only, like in the pictures that were changed. Also, R2 (Right Trigger) wasn't used in the first AC so that might be used for the wheel! I think the coins there are only the distraction coins!

Well thats all i have to say!

the amolang
11-13-2009, 05:54 AM
In the leaked footage I believe it showed that RB (for xbox) was the button to hold to pull the weapons wheel up. not sure if you have to hold it or its just a press...

nitres15
11-13-2009, 07:33 AM
SPOILER WARNING
i have heard that u can change weapon with a button and u can use the weapon wheel if u want

nicky117
11-13-2009, 07:53 AM
ummm, if you didnt read everything else, i'm pretty sure its not a spoiler

SWJS
11-13-2009, 11:50 AM
In the leaked footage I believe it showed that RB (for xbox) was the button to hold to pull the weapons wheel up. not sure if you have to hold it or its just a press...

i have heard that u can change weapon with a button and u can use the weapon wheel if u want

It might be like Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon. Simply tapping the Weapons Wheel button would cycle through your weapons, but holding it down yould bring up the wheel itself. Along with the d-pad, this could very well mean there are actually 3 ways to chose weapons and/or items.

Pendragon_082
11-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Eh, not sure where I read this, but I remember from an interview it being said that there are different sections of the wheel, and that you'd be able to choose what goes into each section. That makes a lot of sense, if we're going to be able to buy a lot of different swords we'd definitely be able to choose which one to grab on our way out of the house. Which would also probably mean that you can customize the D-pad.

ProjectXigis
11-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by davethepaveway:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stormpen:
nothing is false everything is permitted http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's "Nothing is True, everything is permitted." But anyways...

EzioAssassin51
11-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I see in some vids people have a weapon that has two hidden blade symbols connected to one base right?

I think this means double hidden blade but in other vids i see Patrice using the single hidden blade feature to double assassinate!

Can someone tell me what it going on?