PDA

View Full Version : Assassins Creed 2: Soundtrack locked to DVD?

Daphoid
11-19-2009, 01:34 AM
So I'm looking around the collector's edition of Assassins Creed 2, specifically Disc 2 with the bonus content. While the whole package indeed has an overall high level of polish (including the extra strategy guide as well, it all hardcover and shiny!), I've noticed one sad moment thus far.

While the game does come with the soundtrack, it's locked to the DVD! The only way to play it is to play the disc as a movie (in Quicktime or Media Player, or what have you) and then browse to the soundtrack menu. What good is a soundtrack if I have to play a movie just to enjoy it?

Of course its available on iTunes as well for $12 CAD...

I must say the Dragon Age: Origins collector's did it right. The soundtrack is in 256Kbps MP3 format and does not contain any DRM, and the wallpaper offerings are plentiful even including some large ones for 30" or multiple 30" LCD's.

Take note Ubisoft, the above is how you do bonus content Smile

- D

Daphoid
11-19-2009, 01:34 AM
So I'm looking around the collector's edition of Assassins Creed 2, specifically Disc 2 with the bonus content. While the whole package indeed has an overall high level of polish (including the extra strategy guide as well, it all hardcover and shiny!), I've noticed one sad moment thus far.

While the game does come with the soundtrack, it's locked to the DVD! The only way to play it is to play the disc as a movie (in Quicktime or Media Player, or what have you) and then browse to the soundtrack menu. What good is a soundtrack if I have to play a movie just to enjoy it?

Of course its available on iTunes as well for $12 CAD...

I must say the Dragon Age: Origins collector's did it right. The soundtrack is in 256Kbps MP3 format and does not contain any DRM, and the wallpaper offerings are plentiful even including some large ones for 30" or multiple 30" LCD's.

Take note Ubisoft, the above is how you do bonus content Smile

- D

G-Man1475
11-19-2009, 02:13 PM
I totally agree. I stated in a previous post that I'm very angry about this. I have the Master Assassin Edition, which I paid quite a bit of money for, and I can't even listen to the soundtrack on my Macbook or iPod because I bought the PS3 edition, and it's Blu-ray.

What I think would be fair of Ubisoft to fix this is to scan and email your proof of purchase for the sets that contain the soundtrack and then Ubisoft should email us a voucher so we can download the entire soundtrack from iTunes...

I don't want to pay for the soundtrack twice just so I can listen to it...

caswallawn_2k7
11-19-2009, 02:16 PM
if you explore the DVD (through windows/mac os not using a media player) is it not possible to find the audio files on the disc and copy/recode them to work with your mp3 player.

G-Man1475
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, I'm on a Mac so I don't have a Blu-ray player, just on my PS3. Now if if the reason for Ubisoft doing it this way is to prevent piracy or something, well, then I just don't know what to say.

It's sure as hell not convenient for us to listen to it this way.

Plus, if I have my PS3 on, I won't be listening to the soundtrack, I'd be playing AC2.

caswallawn_2k7
11-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I have a blu-ray drive in my PC, will have a look if they are available this way via a PC when I get my copy of black (will be a bit bad if they are available this way as blu-ray drives aint that common yet)

Assassino37
11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
if you explore the DVD (through windows/mac os not using a media player) is it not possible to find the audio files on the disc and copy/recode them to work with your mp3 player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that, all the files are "built" into the DVD so to speak, and cant retrieve anything but some code files in the video folder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

G-Man1475
11-20-2009, 02:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crazkid37:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by caswallawn_2k7:
if you explore the DVD (through windows/mac os not using a media player) is it not possible to find the audio files on the disc and copy/recode them to work with your mp3 player. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tried that, all the files are "built" into the DVD so to speak, and cant retrieve anything but some code files in the video folder. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't understand the reason for this. I'm very angry, and now I have a soundtrack that I paid for that is essentially useless due to it's limitations of use. I can't listen to it on my Mac or even put it on my iPod, so what good is it?

PF70
11-20-2009, 04:23 AM
Me too. One of the main reasons for me ordering the black edition was the soundtrack and it seems as though it's use is limited, to say the least!
Obviously just a ploy to make you like the music enough to buy it again!

G-Man1475
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PF70:

Obviously just a ploy to make you like the music enough to buy it again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sometimes I wonder about that...

Black_Widow9
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Can you not save the files to your console?

Daphoid
11-20-2009, 02:53 PM
No he can't, because the files aren't just stored on the disc like a Data DVD, they've been authored into DVD-Video Format, so all the data is stored inside a folder structure like so:

/VIDEO_TS
/AUDIO_TS

Each of those folders has a handful of files that control the menus and various movies that are on the disc. The "Soundtrack" menu item just plays a sub-menu that lets you scroll through the songs.

On the aforementioned Dragon Age bonus DVD there are:

/VIDEO_TS
/AUDIO_TS
/Wallpapers
/Soundtrack

The first two play like a movie, if you stuck this disc into a regular DVD player it would play like a dVD and ignore the second two folders.

When you browse the folder on your PC or Mac, the second two folders are just normal data folders, the Wallpaper folder is filled with JPEG's and the Soundtrack folder is filled with MP3's.

- D

Renckens
12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Personally, I'm rather dissapointed by Ubisoft's decision to release the soundtrack as a DVD that borders on false advertising. A video DVD containing music (not even supplementary studio images) is only a soundtrack in a legal sense.

The above situation leaves me with two options to enjoy the music I recieved. Wither I have to go through the process of ripping the music from my DVD or download the soundtrack from internet. Pity.

oldman765
12-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Umm, the music (for me at least) isn't locked to the dvd (i don't understand why you keep mentioning the bonus dvd being a blueray disc but maybe I'm missing something), you just like cas said go /video_ts then select the .vob you want.

(these should open with windows media player 10 or on a mac perhaps like you said quicktime player however this shouldn't affect your ability to remove the files).

For instance i wanted the venice rooftops soundtrack so i poked around and found the correct vob (VTS_14_1.VOB) and then copyed it to my desktop and converted it to an mp3 with super.

This seemed simple and i don't understand why people claim these files are locked to the disc.
Chances are that I've overlooked something and if so and this isn't relevant then let me know and I'll delete the post. Also you won't be able to do this from a console because you don't have proper file management if that makes sense....

Edit: Oh and also those 'code files' ( i asume you are refering to the .vob files) are essentially mpegs however since the dvd like mentioned above is formatted with menus they seem to change to this file extension, I've seen the same thing happen when I make dvds with menus.

Daphoid
12-05-2009, 02:00 AM
Searching through a /VIDEO_TS folder and searching through the .VOB files, which aren't named anything coherent, isn't my idea of a soundtrack.

Just because more tech savvy computer users can get at the files does not mean they gave us a proper soundtrack.

When I hear soundtrack, I think Audio CD, MP3's, or some other common audio format. Not a mpeg-4 variant.

I ended up buying the 2 disc soundtrack off iTunes which I believe has even more music then the bonus disc does at 35 total tracks. This is what really should have come with the collectors IMO.

- D

firewaterearth2
12-05-2009, 02:11 AM
Many of the songs from the soundtrack have been uploaded to video sites, you can download them with a mp3 converter. It's better than nothing though the quality isn't always great.

Before someone starts screaming: This is not illegal. It's like recording a song when it's on the radio.

SWJS
12-05-2009, 03:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Daphoid:
Searching through a /VIDEO_TS folder and searching through the .VOB files, which aren't named anything coherent, isn't my idea of a soundtrack.

Just because more tech savvy computer users can get at the files does not mean they gave us a proper soundtrack.

When I hear soundtrack, I think Audio CD, MP3's, or some other common audio format. Not a mpeg-4 variant.

I ended up buying the 2 disc soundtrack off iTunes which I believe has even more music then the bonus disc does at 35 total tracks. This is what really should have come with the collectors IMO.

- D </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed. To be honest, I felt slightly ripped off with the bonus disc. I expected a bonus disc and an audio CD or two.

The only things on my bonus disc are: Two trailers, two dev diaries, a 5-10 minute "behind the scenes" vid that was really nothing special, and 14 songs out of 35 total.

I was expecting full Lineage, exclusive looks inside the studio, all 6 dev diaries, commentary, all the trailers, you know, more than just 4 or 5 vids and a few songs.

The statue, art book, and Templar Lairs were great, though we could have gotten more than just money at the end of the Lais, like maybe Robert's helment/portrait to display?

The only thing really disappointing was disc 2.

IV_trailer
12-05-2009, 05:57 AM
That's odd. In the Europe black edition we have a bonus dvd (not blue ray and I have the ps3 version). The only thing is that the wallpapers on the disk are the same as the exlusive ps3 wallpapers. And i dont like them. I dont know if the soundtrack can be ripped. The wallpapers are in a sapporate map.

Realjambo
12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firewaterearth2:
Many of the songs from the soundtrack have been uploaded to video sites, you can download them with a mp3 converter. It's better than nothing though the quality isn't always great.

Before someone starts screaming: This is not illegal. It's like recording a song when it's on the radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where I come from, recording from the radio is illegal, actually http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

caswallawn_2k7
12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Realjambo:

Where I come from, recording from the radio is illegal, actually http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
no offence jambo but it is technically a grey area, you can record from the radio as long as you don't broadcast it as the radio station pays for your right to listen to it, it's like recording from TV you can do it for personal use. it's why they can get away with selling the digital radios that record to MP3, it is technically legal and that is why they are on sale. it will only ever become officially illegal if a firm chooses to take action over it and can win in court.

the copy right laws in the UK have a lot of grey areas due to the mix of UK and EU rulings contradicting each other.

IV_trailer
12-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Talking about illigal, in America it illigal to download but legal to upload videos. In Holland its Illigal to upload but legal to download videos. So there is a legal traject of getting free videos from America. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

selmaoscar
03-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Hey Everyone! I bought the black edition for pc and encountered the same problem as the music is locked to the dvd. <span class="ev_code_RED">Illegal links are not allowed.</span>