PDA

View Full Version : Wide screen & Fov

primo6255
03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
OK I now have my wide screen resolution at 1680x1050 and I am very satisfied except for in cockpit fov. Is fov 90 the highest we can go. In other words I am trying to get my seat position a little further back like it was before wide screen. Is this a trade off to going wide screen.

Jambock_Dolfo
03-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I use 1920x1200 and am quite sure still have 120? FOV?

-dolfo

Hoenire
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
There is a "wide view" fov that you can map a button too - this is good enough. Any wider and you won't be able to tell if anything's sneakig up behind you.

Unfortunately that is the trade off - a nice panoramic view and no view behind, or a bit closer to the sights but a better rear view. You can also play with shift+F1 in the allied planes as that will change your view a bit.

primo6255
03-30-2008, 10:16 AM
If I set it any higher than 90 it will not work.

Stiletto-
03-30-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a 24 Inch Monitor that has a 16:10 aspect ratio, and with the FOV set to the 2nd farthest back out of the 5 or so available, I get the aspect very similar to the default view on a 4:3 monitor. Basically, the bigger the monitor and/or the closer you sit to the screen, the wider FOV you can use without it looking like a fish eye lense. If the wide side views are actually in part of your perephrial vision, then it's quite natural. On the other hand, if you sit pretty close to a large monitor with a widescreen aspect ratio that crops the picture bigger to begin with, the default FOV will look alot closer to the gunsight view.

If you look at the images below, the first is the default FOV at default 4:3 aspect ratio. 2nd is 16:10 aspect ratio with 2nd to farthest FOV available in the options menu. 3rd picture is the two overlapped, they are quite similar, this meaning that if you leave the default FOV on for widescreens, you effectively get horse-blinders, but a more zoomed in view closer to the gunsight view.

http://webpages.charter.net/scottomatic/fov_comparison.jpg

Lurch1962
03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
No matter what your monitor's aspect ratio is or at what resolution you run the game, the widest FOV you will get is 90 degrees *horizontally*. In other words, the FOV value is *always* based on the the horizontal width of the display.

For "standard" 4:3 monitors, at the widest FOV of 90 degrees the vertical view angle is 73.7 degrees.

For 16:10 monitors at a FOV of 90, the vertical view angle is 64 degrees.

For 16:9 monitors at a FOV of 90, the vertical view angle is 58.7 degrees.

===================

The vertical view angle for a FOV of 90:

= [TAN^-1(vert / horiz)] * 2
(NOTE: TAN^-1 is the inverse tangent)
(NOTE: vert and horiz can be aspect ratio values or pixels.)

Example:

= [TAN^-1(9 / 16)] * 2
= TAN^-1(0.5625) * 2
= 29.36 * 2
= 58.7

=====================

If you set the game resolution in conf.ini to something ridiculous like 300 x 768, the game window will be much *taller* than wide (big black bars on each side). However, with the FOV still being based on the *horizontal* width, at a FOV of 90, the vertical view angle will be 137 degrees!