PDA

View Full Version : Sound Card Advice

Kaleun1961
10-04-2005, 11:00 PM
I've read that the lag that is experienced when a ship blows up is related to onboard sound. I have a high end system, 2 gigs of RAM, yet occasionally I experience a significant frame rate hit after a boat explodes, usually when viewing through the scope.

I am considering investing in a good sound card and I am hoping that this will resolve this issue. Have any of you played without a sound card, had lagging issues and then installed a sound card and had the lag disappear? I'd really like to hear from you if you've had this experience.

What sound cards do you like best and why? I've always been a Creative fan, but am willing to consider other sound cards.

What about surround sound headphones? Any experiences with them? I'd like to get a set of those as well, so I can play late at night but not disturb everyone else in the house.

MobyGrape
10-04-2005, 11:13 PM
Have you tried turning Off sound acceleration in Audio properties in{performance} advanced properties? Or totally disable sound in control panel..To test fps without any sound..

Kaleun1961
10-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try tomorrow; right now everyone's in bed.

froschman
10-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I am not quite sure of your problem. Are the sounds of torpedo hits and following explosions delayed compared to what you see?

If so, the sound travels pretty slow, 300 m/s. If you hit a ship 600 m away, the sound should take 2 seconds to reach you. The speed of light is high, that you can forget it here, you see the hit immediately but hear it later.

If the developers have implemented this I do not know.

SilentSwine
10-05-2005, 02:37 AM
I was having problems with video stuttering, aka frame loss. A lot of people call this lag, but lag is packet loss in multiplayer. I went in to the game's video setting and lowered the particle effects slider to 50%. This lowers the quality of things like smoke and water spray, and my frame rates improved a lot. I'm running a GeForce Ti4600, and my sound card is an Audigy2 ZS. I just read a review of Soundblaster's new X-Fi card, it's supposed to do a much better job of unloading sound processing from your CPU. I bought the Zalman surround sound headphones and was very disappointed with them. Decent surround headphones run $500-$1000, so I'll live with my 4.1 speakers.

Maj_Solo
10-05-2005, 04:19 AM
vrthing can lag. anything that happens later than it is supposed to is "lagging behind" or "there is a lag".

when the round trip time on the internet between two points is about what it should be then I say there is no lag, even if takes 90ms. It is when it shoots up to ike 500ms or more then there is definitey la there.

packet drops is not lag. That is loss of data. I wonder if those might be listed as 2000ms ping time inside some games in MP. In the world of microcomputers 2000ms is eons.

but you can have lag everywhere, in a multi threaded system I guess one part of the software can lag behind if it is starved by another part. The OS is probably threaded, graphics can starve audio, or arythms can occur causing even higher load, like you missed the train and now they have to sebd two trains this morning.

------

anyways, it could be audio realited since on my rig the whole system chokes, the frame rate is dropping too. So the graphics isn't getting the time it needs and the audio isn't either and the whole program is stuck somewhere else.

Just don't look at that burning tanker .... "close your eyes baby"

bweiss
10-05-2005, 04:22 AM
Soundblaster's new X-Fi card

I'm using one, and have not had any problems. Amazing for an SB, been waiting on the other shoe to drop but this sound card seems to be all they say it is. Liked it so much, I ordered a Fidelity1 (Gamers version of the X-Fi). Supposed to be delivered today. Not only does the thing work smoothly, but also the 5.1 sound is channeled far better than the Audigy4, or Audigy2, which I was running before I got the X-Fi. Sideline conspiracy theory here, but seems to me the more money one spends for a Creative card, the better the drivers one gets from Creative. Anyway, on my system (Amd4000+ Clawhammer on Asus A8V mobo with 2048 Corsair RAM), the SB X-Fi runs like a charm.

Kaleun1961
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
My usage of the term lag in this context is referrng to the choppy frame rates that I sometimes experience after sinking a ship. It happens most often when I am viewing the ship through the scope when the torpedo hits.

I'm going to try Moby Grape's suggestion for my next patrol and see what happens.

Bubblehead1948
10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Here's what I have experienced for what its worth:

I use the audigy2 zs in one system, and a Soundstorm (nvidia) onboard system in the other. The sound quality of both is comparable, but...

It is said (and I believe it) that the audigy cards place much less resource stress on your cpu than an onboard system such as the Soundstorm.

In any event, the audigy2 does not cause any noticeable frame issues during explosions. Thats
why I use it instead of the onboard stuff I have.

With regard to headphones, well, there are plenty of decent ones around for $30.00-50.00, but honestly, after listening to this thing on a good 5.1 system for months, well... headphones are just uninspiring.

Kaleun1961
10-05-2005, 08:55 PM
Using Moby Grape's advice and turning off the soound acceleration, I found that the drop in frame rate was still there, but not as severe. Looks like I am going to invest in a proper sound card.

Most of the time I use my surround sound, 6-speaker setup and crank it up. The quality of the sound is amazing. But late at night when the others are in bed, I can't do this, so then I have to turn it down so much or switch to headphones.

MobyGrape
10-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Good luck keep us posted..