PDA

View Full Version : Storyline

Nosterex1971
11-21-2007, 03:23 AM
Assassin's Creed is a beautifully designed game, however imo, the storyline is poor at best.
It is difficult to immerse yourself into the role of a character when you are being thrown between past and present. A real shame that this game didn't deliver what the demo videos portrayed. Not one of the videos shown before the games release showed this concept(those who have played the game will know, I don't want to spoil the game for those who have not played it yet). The reason why Thief was so successful for the stealth/action genre was the fact that it was an immersive experience and a set period piece. Assassin's Creed jumps too much from past to present to enable you to feel a part of the era you are meant to be enjoying. I realise that they were after a 'hook'(concept) but more often than not using a tried and tested method for gameplay has a greater success rate with gamers (I have 30 years of gaming experience). Most people don't like a storyline which leaves them feeling confused or as if they do not know what is happening in the game; Ubisoft seem to have gotten too caught up in the hype of creating a visual masterpiece and forgot the basic structure for a good stealth/action game -which is immersive comprehensive gameplay.
I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks of the points I made in my post, after following this game so closely for so long I'm certain that there are others out there as disappointed as I am with it.
Maybe Assassin's Creed 2 will take onboard some of these basic structures next time around.
Game On,
Nosterex http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

AirRon_2K7
11-21-2007, 03:56 AM
Half flamy post my follow:

wow 30 years of gaming experience... that doesn't mean that you can really judge on a games story... just on the history of gaming. This isn't a stealth game, so you lose half of your argument there. if you had been following the game as closely as you claim, you would have noticed said "issues" long ago, and would have moved on.

Nosterex1971
11-21-2007, 04:29 AM
We were told thats this was a period piece not jaunt between the past and the present.
No the game\story didnt confuse me.
30 years of gaming thank you,not wasting all my time posting on forums with Childish Gamers who just want attention.
and btw this game Was announced as a Steath Action game.
Now stop wasting our time this thread is for Constuctive Critisism.
Post away by all means tho..i will only bother reading threads from real gamers.
Now you have yourself a nice day !

ScytheOfGrim
11-21-2007, 04:36 AM
I seem to be confused, sorry. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

*****MAY BE CONSIDERED SPOILERIFIC*****

Did you mean that the story was surprising?
Meaning that you didn't expect there to be a sci-fi element?

Or meaning that you didn't like the way the sci-fi element went?

I, personally, found this to be one of the best stories ever implemented into a video game.
Did you happen to click on that link in Air's sig?
Maybe that will help make te story more inviting...

If not, then is it possible that you don't like sci-fi stuff?

AirRon_2K7
11-21-2007, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Nosterex1971:
We were told thats this was a period piece not jaunt between the past and the present.
No the game\story didnt confuse me.
30 years of gaming thank you,not wasting all my time posting on forums with Childish Gamers who just want attention.
and btw this game Was announced as a Steath Action game.
Now stop wasting our time this thread is for Constuctive Critisism.
Post away by all means tho..i will only bother reading threads from real gamers.
Now you have yourself a nice day !

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise that you had to be 30 + to have an opinion. I have 10 years of gaming experience, why? Because I'm 17... not yet old enough to be within the ranks of "mature". Yet my opinion is still valid, and with a whole lot more sense that you seem to think. If you'd been following this game, then you wouldn't have watched the opening video, and bought the game 2 years later. If you had seen the interviews, you would have noticed that they have CONSTANTLY been talking about a sci-fi plot. If you hadn't noticed that, maybe you have selective hearing. Yes the game was ORIGINALLY presented as a stealth action, but again, if you HAD been following the game as much as you claim, you would have noticed that they are trying to tell us that it is NOT a stealth game...

Maybe I should have been born 30 years ago, so I could comment on a time where games didn't have a story, but since I'm not, I'll post with the knowledge I already have. Maybe you should do the same.

avsrule247
11-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Nosterex1971 your a moron. This game clearly isn't supposed to connect you with Altair or anyone else. It is meant to be a movie type experience obviously.

marinius
11-21-2007, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
Because I'm 17... not yet old enough to be within the ranks of "mature".

Maybe I should have been born 20 years ago, so I could comment on a time where games didn't have a story, but since I'm not, I'll post with the knowledge I already have. Maybe you should do the same.

Hmm, you say you were born 17 years ago but wish you were born 20 years ago...? It's rather doubtful those 3 extra years would have made you able to comment on something you're not able to comment on now.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

AirRon_2K7
11-21-2007, 06:20 AM
damn... I meant 20 MORE years .. ago http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

marinius
11-21-2007, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by AirRon_2K7:
damn... I meant 20 MORE years .. ago http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Lol, yes I got that, but the opportunity was too good to pass up... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Verenestra
11-21-2007, 08:17 AM
??
Pardon me for my ignorance but these forums are meant to be for people to express opinions without receiving abuse in return. If you don't agree with Nosterex's opinion that's fine, but calling someone a moron is out of line and just shows what sort of mentailty you would have offline; and AirRon_2K7, maybe you should leave your attitude elsewhere when making posts; as I hinted before forums are meant for constructive debate not putting someone down for your own sense of self satisfaction. Any gamer has the right to comment on storyline or any other part of a game, whether they have played for 30 years or 3 months. It seems to me that he was just trying to state that he had experience with a lot of games; I highly doubt he was 'judging' the game in any way, merely commenting and stating a personal opinion which was not abusive, slanderous nor rude.
If Nosterex is personally disappointed with the game, it's not up to you to criticise him just because you might think it's the greatest game in history; obviously he was only looking for people who may have felt the same way in the hopes that he was not the only one disappointed in the game.
It's pretty clear that Nosterex was hoping that it would be a period game where you could kill from stealth without having the mood broken by interchanging characters. Obviously not confusing just frustrating for someone who was looking forward to a certain style of game.
As for not being meant to connect with any characters - this is a HUGE part of gameplay for many many people, the connection and immersion into a game makes all the difference. If you don't like immersion or role playing, again, this is your personal preference but you have NO RIGHT to give someone a hard time because they differ from you.
By all means, post a sarcastic or insult filled reply to me - all it will do is prove the fact that what I have said is true and you can't handle that fact, and in a last desperate attempt to retain some sense of self satisfaction you have to feel as though you have had 'the last word'.

MiniAssasin
11-21-2007, 08:44 AM
you know what is making games so piss poor these days

the internet

people come together with so many personal tastes and opinions and expect different things from a game

they have their own expectations and own views on what they choose to hear and complain when it doesnt happen

people are also getting far to know it all liek and demanding

---

this wassnt a problem back in the days when ya just went to a shop and picked up a game you liked the look of, back in the ays when people had thier own minds about summin