PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Views Request

No601_Zulu
12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
~S~ Oleg

Would it be possible to have two levels of exterior views. Firstly, the standard view that is enjoyed by many. Secondly, an exterior view that is only availible after you have bailed out ,landed or are dead...

I enjoy full real servers, but when flying in coop missions often as my squadron does, it would be a great option, not to allow players to be able to look outside during the mission, but if you're unlucky and end up dead or have to bail you can still follow the action. Would it be that hard to do..?

No601_Zulu
12-06-2004, 11:53 AM
~S~ Oleg

Would it be possible to have two levels of exterior views. Firstly, the standard view that is enjoyed by many. Secondly, an exterior view that is only availible after you have bailed out ,landed or are dead...

I enjoy full real servers, but when flying in coop missions often as my squadron does, it would be a great option, not to allow players to be able to look outside during the mission, but if you're unlucky and end up dead or have to bail you can still follow the action. Would it be that hard to do..?

JG5_UnKle
12-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Unfortunately this has been requested since the demo days of IL-2 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

KG26_Alpha
12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
Oleg did say from the begining it was not possible due to the online coding.
IMHO anything red or blue cant be too hard to separate in the net coding, perhaps something for BoB hopefully.

Stiglr
12-07-2004, 01:21 PM
That's not what I remember.

I asked for this feature, and the response from the dev team (if not specifically Oleg, I don't recall) was that, because it could be used for kibitzing (giving away info to enemy) by people using Teamspeak and other comm devices, they wouldn't put it in. They NEVER said it wasn't possible.

Even if this kibitzing loophole is exploitable, I think the benefits of being able to have a "spectator mode" outweighs the problems.

I mean, you could make it such that if you're in spectator mode, perhaps you can't use chat to anyone other than other spectator mode users. That would stop any kibutzing other than direct voice comms software (which is totally out of the control of the sim anyway).

Tater-SW-
12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Perhaps in kibutzing modenoicons would be enabled? That would mitigate some of it since you couldn't call a con on someone's 6.

tater

Irish_JG26
12-07-2004, 02:13 PM
S~

It could be a host selected option so that in the full real coops and fun runs, we could still watch the action after landing or bailing but could also disable it for serious play such as tournements etc. where the temptation to cheat might be too great. Another option could be like in Americas Army game where upon death you can cycle through only the views of your friendly comrades but not the enemy. Thus is is harder to sit and tell your living teamates where they are, etc.

JG26_Irish

p1ngu666
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
could just show the guys plane, and no landscape perhaps, not the best idea tho

STENKA_69.GIAP
12-08-2004, 04:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by No601_Zulu:
~S~ Oleg

Would it be possible to have two levels of exterior views. Firstly, the standard view that is enjoyed by many. Secondly, an exterior view that is only availible after you have bailed out ,landed or are dead... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry - am I missing something here? - this is already here in the difficulty settings.

If the host sets cockpit on and externals on that does the trick doesn't it?

Recon_609IAP
12-08-2004, 05:36 AM
"Another option could be like in Americas Army game where upon death you can cycle through only the views of your friendly comrades but not the enemy"

Great idea Irish - would be an excellent feature to have. Obviously as an option - and would be excellent learning tool!

And as you say, for wars, etc.. you could leave it off - but normal coops, and even dogfights, it would almost as fun to spectate from your buddies view!

HansKnappstick
12-08-2004, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:

Sorry - am I missing something here? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, you are. Please read the original message carefully, especially the words
"(...)only availible after (...)"

BBB_Hyperion
12-08-2004, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:
"Another option could be like in Americas Army game where upon death you can cycle through only the views of your friendly comrades but not the enemy"

Great idea Irish - would be an excellent feature to have. Obviously as an option - and would be excellent learning tool!

And as you say, for wars, etc.. you could leave it off - but normal coops, and even dogfights, it would almost as fun to spectate from your buddies view! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same Problem as with above Teamspeak ruins it gives away attacker position etc.

Mithel
12-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Oh heck, just for fun I'll comment that I too would *very* much appreciate this option. My group has played with external views on (for the past THREE years) for the sole reason of allowing players that are dead to watch the rest of the mission. Otherwise we would love to have them forced off.

Simply put: external view should not be allowed unless the pilot is dead.

KG26_Alpha
12-08-2004, 11:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stiglr:
That's not what I remember.

I asked for this feature, and the response from the dev team (if not specifically Oleg, I don't recall) was that, because it could be used for kibitzing (giving away info to enemy) by people using Teamspeak and other comm devices, they wouldn't put it in. They NEVER said it wasn't possible.

Even if this kibitzing loophole is exploitable, I think the benefits of being able to have a "spectator mode" outweighs the problems.

I mean, you could make it such that if you're in spectator mode, perhaps you can't use chat to anyone other than other spectator mode users. That would stop any kibutzing other than direct voice comms software (which is totally out of the control of the sim anyway). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I definately remeber it being a "Not possible due to online coding " reply from Oleg Maddox @ 2002