PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the DRC use computers?

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 01:26 AM
... after all, Uru takes place today. Yet they're using college exercise books and (in one place) a manual typewriter to do their word-processing!

And another question: how do you type in a bound exercise book?

Srikandi
11-21-2003, 01:26 AM
... after all, Uru takes place today. Yet they're using college exercise books and (in one place) a manual typewriter to do their word-processing!

And another question: how do you type in a bound exercise book?

endeavor21
11-21-2003, 01:36 AM
I imagine the DRC has been in the Big Cavern for quite a while. Sure, they could bring a laptop, but they'd need quite a lot of spare batteries. Good luck getting a computer to run on fire marbles (and where are all the fire marbles, anyway?).

But touché on the notebook point. Nick must be really skilled with a typewriter...

AnubisSL5
11-21-2003, 04:46 AM
maby he had wonderful handwriting..haha

RivenGurl
11-21-2003, 06:06 PM
i agree with what endeavor said, but i also think the typewriter and college notebooks add a nice conotation....don't you?? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

~ Goddess of the Lagoon

Grehn
11-22-2003, 01:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And another question: how do you type in a bound exercise book?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This same question was asked during beta!

endeavor21
11-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Oooh! Oooh! I got it. Okay, it's a sideways typewriter. So he gets the notebook, and puts the page in landscape oriented, and then all the hammers have been rotated 90 degrees, and there you have it! Except for opposite facing pages ... I guess you could feed the notebook in the other way, jamming it in where it would normally come out. I'm sure it would work. Really.

... sideways typewriter. Heh. I'm such a genius.

JohnnyRock30
11-22-2003, 08:37 AM
As soon as you link into the city there is a DRC laptop by a video camera. They do use PC's, they just usually don't leave them laying around....

http://www.boomspeed.com/johnnyrock30/johnnyroxxorz.jpg

khuunah
11-22-2003, 03:53 PM
Don't forget that quite a few of these DRC guys are eccentric scientist types - archaeologists, linguists, etc - there are a lot of those in the real world that don't use anything but handwritten notes. Too busy with what they're doing to learn the technology, maybe - not to mention that hand-written notes on waterproof paper are a lot more durable than dropping your laptop in the lake...

lewisch2
11-22-2003, 06:19 PM
They have thier very own website so presumably at least a few of them use computers.

aria505
11-22-2003, 07:14 PM
They probably use handwritten journals with ink so that it is easier to tell when something has been changed.

If it was an electronic text file we might be able to change the information and they really wouldn't be able to tell unless they remember what the writting said before.

About the typing in the bound books...

If you notice those are special books. Along the side, the pages are fastened together with those little brass wing clips. This allows for the pages to be taken out of the book and then put back in. SO they just take a page out stick it in the typewriter and then put it back in the book.

I don't think the DRC has created a universal D'ni electrical socket adapter for their Laptops yet.