PDA

View Full Version : Some notions and tips on flying the Sturmovik

msalama
05-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Well, what the title says really http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Here's my $0.0002 on operating the beast effectively:

* Stay hidden if you can by any means possible, such as using the topography to your advantage etc. The fighters are much faster and more manouverable than you, so don't expose yourself if you can avoid it.

* Don't fly around in full power if you don't have to. This helps in not overheating the bugger later when you really do need the juice. Cruise at 60-70% power & 55-65% RPM, and consider leaning the mixture to 70% or so too.

* Stay as low as you can. This not only makes you hard to spot, but protects your oil cooler as well if they find you.

* NEVER EVER fly in a straight line for long when in an ops area. I can't stress the importance of this enough, because it's often a case of the AAA _not_ being that accurate - contrary to what some may believe - but us ground-pounders being less than clever when in its vicinity! Throw that bird around with a heavy hand and you can survive even the worst of places.

* Fight back aggressively if you get bounced. The IL-2 is a sluggish plane, but it WILL down anything that comes in front of it. Remember that those VYas and ShVAKs are _VERY_ formidable weapons!

* The cassettes are a great weapon if you have the time to line up properly. You may not however have that luxury if the place is bristling with flak, so in those cases consider a rocket and/or a bomb loadout instead if the target allows for it.

* There're some airfields where the flak is lined up in parallel with the parked planes, which then makes _you_ an easy target if you line up with them too! Consider zig-zagging over the field instead and attacking from a perpendicular angle (less effective as it may be from a strafing POV). An alternative tactic is taking the flak out first, after which you can of course set up the rest of the operation as you like.

* Consider always taking the flak out first, actually. They can't hit you if you hit them first!

* Use your imagination when planning the operation. Choose your inbound route so that you'll attack from an unexpected direction, and do NOT exit using a direct - and thus the most obvious - route back home!

* I usually fuel up to 75% unless the trip is really short. This allows for some leakage if your tanks get punctured.

OK, those are my tips. Feel free to share yours!

leitmotiv
05-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Absolutely superb tips (notice how I am ensuring I don't make your bannage list!), m. They are excellent tips for any ground attack mission flown by an aircraft which isn't hot and fast.

msalama
05-26-2007, 08:07 AM
notice how I am ensuring I don't make your bannage list

Cheers Leitmotiv http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Deadmeat313
05-26-2007, 08:28 AM
A few that I can think of off-hand:

1) ALWAYS trim your plane properly for level flight. This gives two advantages:

Firstly, it greatly improves the ease of aiming rocket or strafe attacks. I know several people who say they are useless at ground attack, and this seems to be the primary thing making their life difficult.

Secondly, it makes the plane far more controllable when you jump into the tailgunner position as your plane doesn't go straight into an awkward shallow climb.

2) If possible, plan your route so that you pass over forested land as much as possible. You are far better camoflaged from above in this terrain. Obviously, its not possible in all situations, but I've had enemy fighters sail straight past me enough times to see the value of it.

3) When flying in groups, try to go for flak that is shooting at others in your group. If you are targeted, try baiting the guns (circling evasively at medium range) to allow your wingmen to eliminate them safely.

T.

tigertalon
05-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Great tips indeed msalama!

A quick share: rear firing UBS gun is a formidable weapon that will scare off or shoot down any 109... as long as it has ammo. The rear gunner has a nasty habit of discharging entire ammoload of the precious 200 12.7mm bullets into empty space at first sight of the enemy. That's why I usually turn rear gunner off, but then I have to jump to gunner seat every few seconds to check my 6 (because gunner, if on, alerts you on incoming bandits with shooting, by my experience he is quite shy guy and doesn't like to inform his pilot on approaching bandits by speaking. However, his natural shyness dissapears completely when you do some neg g maneouvers!).

Whenever I spot a 109 diving on me, I aim carefully and squirt a relatively long range, short sniping burst and then dodge his attack. 190 are another story tho.

Above said is just a cure when already spotted and attacked by fighters... and prevention is better than cure they say.

msalama
05-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys, good tips from you as well. S!

Breeze147
05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Does anyone have some charts proving these points?

msalama
05-26-2007, 09:48 AM
http://koti.welho.com/msalama/pwnage.JPG

msalama
05-26-2007, 09:54 AM
And tracks too? OK. (http://koti.welho.com/msalama/IL-2_groundpound.ntrk)