PDA

View Full Version : What is the minimum altitude to bail out without squashing into the ground?

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Cause frankly, I'm getting tired of having to bail out after my IL-2 gets hammered by flak, then having German flak guns start launching flak at me while slowly floating to the ground.

XyZspineZyX
09-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Cause frankly, I'm getting tired of having to bail out after my IL-2 gets hammered by flak, then having German flak guns start launching flak at me while slowly floating to the ground.

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 12:23 AM
About 1000 feet is still safe. Maybe a little lower but it depends on how fast your falling.

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Hopperfly is right! Less than approx 240m not a good idea./i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-10-2003, 04:38 AM
It takes most chutes around 500 ft to deploy and slow your fall so you wont be killed. 1000ft would be the minimum I would want to do it. But I would try even at 50 ft. You have nothing to lose by trying lol. And your rate of fall can only be around 120mph. If you jump and your plane is traveling say 200, you will actually slow down. Its called (terminal velocity). Its as fast as a human body can physically fall to earth. You can gain some speed in a delta position (arms folded back and legs straight) but the way the FB pilots fall is called (spread and stable) And thats about 120 mph.

...and once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
for there you have been and there you long to return.
~leonardo de vinci