PDA

View Full Version : U-803's first patrol. Into the Caribbean!

Foehammer-1
07-29-2006, 08:39 PM
Last month, me and my new U-803 got assigned to tropical waters instead of regular patrols around the British isles. The boat was new, but the crew was old and trustworthy. Our patrol grid was EE65, so the Caribbean is nearby. I decided to look around for the hordes of tankers everybody keeps talking about. They presumably can be found near Port of Spain. In the emantime, me and the crew would finally get a chance to see the tropical sea for the first time.

On the way there, we spotted a large convoy. We bagged a Troop transport and 2 T2's, but since it moved at 13 knots, we would need quite a bit of fuel to get ahead of it again. So we broke off and headed for our patrol grid.

We visited the Asores (umm whichever way you spell the name). My entire crew has never seen an Atlantic island yet, so we did a bit of sightseeing. I guess the locals were quite happy to see us, since they sent a welcoming party consisting of 6 Catalina's with braces of depth charges and a B24 which almost got us by carpetbombing from about 3 km's away.

That one got away, but my crew cheered so hard that they decided to have a fireworks show at noon. Since there were no actual fireworks on board, theyd ecided to shoot tracers from our two twin machine guns. I guess it was an accident, but a fact remains a fact. All 6 catalina's went down.

After searching the wreckage spots for any welcoming gifts, we found nothing and decided that the aboriginals were quite unfriendly, which is a pity, because they live on such beautiful islands. We juiced up the engines and steamed across the ocean again.

In the middle of the Atlantic, I decided to increase crew morale. We stopped both engines and decided it was time for a good swim. As I was about to jump from the conning tower into the cool water, a shout came from behind, "Small tanker spotted, bearing 032, on the horizon!". Damn it!! most of the crew got to swim, while their captain had to fish them out and stuff them into the boat.

We dived and headed for an intercept. Guess it was the anger from my perfect backflip off the conning tower that never happened, but I forgot that our max underwater speed is just around 7 knots. Not enough to intercept and fire accurately. In my anger, I fired off a spread of two. Surprisingly, one of the torpedoes hit the tanker dead center and it went down. We continued on to our patrol grid.

On the way, we sank two small merchants. After patrolling our grid, we continued on into the Caribbean. By that time, our fuel supply was becoming dangerously low, so there was not much time left for searching. By the time we had to turn back, all we found were a coastal and a small merchant, were bounced and Depth charged by a destroyer and a bunch of planes like I have never seen before. My navigator said those were Avenger torpedo bombers. Americans, I would assume. There were also a couple planes that looked liek window frames. We crash dived when we saw them, and we did not bother to look for their identification.

This wasted our last bits of spare fuel and we really had to return to base. So much for the hordes of unprotected tankers. Next time, I am going to ask BDU to assign us to a Northern grid. It is sure colder up there, but at least we can have a chance of finding decent targets. Who knows, maybe we can make another PQ-17 story?

The trip back was uneventful, but the dock workers and the nurses looked like they liked the tan on our faces (mine at least) and they cheered so loud that I could not hear the remark of my navigator that we are moving a little bit too fast. We collided with the dock at 2 knots, but that only scratched the paint. ... And broke off the starboard dive plane. Well, back to the office, filling the paperwork about that broken fin on our boat.

I would post screenshots, but I sort of forgot that I remapped the screen key in Fraps, so none got captured. I'll get screens next time. If i feel like another patrol report http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shahed_Kazi
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Nice post. if you ever do catch any of those hordes of tankers radio my boot (U-49) the grid, will bag a few in your name.

feinmann_xv
08-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Nice report, good read :-).

!S

Marriott90
08-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Yes it was definetly a good read. Well done

Foehammer-1
08-17-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm in the process of a second trip into the Caribbean, using the Milk Cow this time. Story will be posted no later than the weekend ends http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif, with screenshots this time, if there is anything worth showing

hueywolf123
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Cool, can't wait to see the screenies. I'm yet to be sent that far away,the BdU must think we enjoy the cold and are always sending us to the north atlantic