PDA

View Full Version : Starting twin engine planes, P38, HE-111, etc.

ElMarvo
03-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi Y'll,

I guess this is a silly question,..however...i cannot start up a twin engine plane. Just goes around in circles. I have the X52 start engines programed in the T-1/T-2 keys.
Anyone help mne?
Tks Marv

dbircsak
03-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I have CTRL 1 to be Select/Unselect Engine 1, CTRL 2 to be Select/Unselect Engine 2, etc.

When you start I think all engine's are selected. You can only hit I to start one engine at a time. So you have to Select Engine 1, start it, De-select Engine 1, Select Engine 2, start it, Select Engine 1, throttle on up and away...

Maybe you are just running throttle on one of the engines.

Doolittle

Zonama
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
After you start up don't forget to select both engines.

Steven190
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I use 1+e for engine 1, then 2+e for the 2nd engine. The be sur eto select both, which I have keyed to 5

FA_Retro-Burn
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Zonama:
After you start up don't forget to select both engines.

Yes, bind a key to select all engines. For me, it's 0 (zero)

ElMarvo
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Tks for the info...I think you both hit the nail just right.

horseback
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
For the sake of clarity, the way to do it is to

1) select the first engine individually, start it,

2)wait for it to get running smoothly at 0% throttle,

3)THEN select the other engine and start it, again waiting for the second engine to completely start (run smoothly at 0% throttle),

4)and THEN press the key/button you bound to Select All Engines before increasing your throttle.

The most important thing to do is to bind the keys/buttons for Select Left Engines, Select Right Engines, and Select All Engines before starting the mission

cheers

horseback

ElMarvo
03-28-2007, 02:31 PM
horseback,

Thanks. That worked very nicely......been computer long?

ElMarvo
03-28-2007, 02:32 PM
horseback uhho ooops computer flying....

arrowtalon
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
I have CTRL 1 to be Select/Unselect Engine 1, CTRL 2 to be Select/Unselect Engine 2, etc.

When you start I think all engine's are selected. You can only hit I to start one engine at a time. So you have to Select Engine 1, start it, De-select Engine 1, Select Engine 2, start it, Select Engine 1, throttle on up and away...

Yep, that's the best way I've found to do it... I started another thread questioning why Seperate Engine Start is always selected on the servers for this reason, I don't think it really helps the realism...

Bremspropeller
03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Press ctrl+E for WEP.

Works in COOPs only.

SithSpeeder
03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
IF you have an X-52 and the SST programming software running, I recommend the following catch all:

In game, map the following:
Select Engine 1 to SHIFT Q
Select Engine 2 to SHIFT W
Select ALL Engines to SHIFT A
Engine Start = I (should already be set)
Cockpit Lights = CTRL L

In the SST Software, use Mode 2 Toggle 1 and program an Advanced Command (right click, Advanced Command).
PRESS: Shift Q, I (wait 1.5 seconds), Shift W, I
RELEASE: Shift A, CTRL L

Save your profile, and always put the Mode 2 switch on when starting. Once the engines are on, switch back to Mode 1 and you'll never accidentally kill your engines while flying.

To use this little gem, simply press Toggle 1 up and hold it until your engine(s) start. Once one (or both) have started (it will say onscreen), release it and all engines will be selected.

Once you do this, you'll never mess with it again http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

You can grab my X-52 profile if you want at simace.com (see link below). But you do have to do some in-game key assignment to make both parts play together.

Hope that helps.

* _54th_Speeder *

P.S. You could actually add the remaining two engines on for four engine bomber start, as well. And tail-wheel lock, etc.

major_setback
03-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Don't forget that when you create a new pilot for a career, or select that pilot later for online play you need to map those key commands again.

Bearcat99
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by major_setback:
Don't forget that when you create a new pilot for a career, or select that pilot later for online play you need to map those key commands again.

Or once you create the pilot you can just copy the config over from within the other pilot's folder.

horseback
03-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ElMarvo:
horseback uhho ooops computer flying.... As you can see from my registered date, I've been flying versions of this sim for a while, but the sad truth is that I was putting together a Lightning mission a few weeks ago, and while testing it, had to re-learn the very lessons I just shared with you.

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: "D'oh!!"

Nothing teaches faster or more thoroughly than the experience of feeling stupid...

cheers

horseback

ElMarvo
03-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the reply's, good info in a pleasant manner.
How good it is.............

blit_ZEN
03-29-2007, 04:13 AM
Does anyone know how to change P-38 prop pitch simultaneously? I played with this briefly but was such a poor Lightning driver I gave up.

W/ the Jug & using 60-76% pitch I can fly for a hour on a quarter tank. It would be nice to do the same in the lightning.

stathem
03-29-2007, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by blit_ZEN:
Does anyone know how to change P-38 prop pitch simultaneously? I played with this briefly but was such a poor Lightning driver I gave up.

W/ the Jug & using 60-76% pitch I can fly for a hour on a quarter tank. It would be nice to do the same in the lightning.

Again, so long as you have both engines selected [select all engines], then your adjustments to your PP will affect both, like the throttles.

If you mean to separate it, then [select Engine #n] and drop the pp, the other will stay where it was. I do this sometimes with a damaged/runaway motor to try to save it for as long as possible.

blit_ZEN
03-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Cool, I was allowing auto pilot to start the engines & the throttles were working but prop pitch was not.

I mapped a,& s for left & rite engines & alt a for all engines. This worked well

I loaded up some gun pods & went up against some FW190a8's and let them exhaust their ammo as I entered a climbing turn. They could not get a firing solution.

Then i was chasin down a coupla KI84s, well for prop pitch BUT i neglected to map a key for dive brakes and left a few smoking craters.

Thanks for the heads ups, i am gonna buck up for reconditioned saitek setup w/rudder pedals and the head thingy so i see WTF is goin on w/o a mouse & come on line.

I spend many thousands of hours on warbirds in the past.

I am forced to give up a few of my inembriating vices I find i have a lot of spare time & cash too. Kind of a drag, but i will have time to be a better pilot & go back to Kung Fu.

Once again thanks for the heads up & happy conTRAILS.

BlitZEN

(edited for spelling, clarity stills leaves much to be desired, )