PDA

View Full Version : il2 campaigns

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 02:36 AM
How many people play campaigns in the il2? Ive started a few but the odds are against surviving the first couple of missions unless you turn tail, drop load and run for home at the first signs of trouble. Is a campaign in a il2 survivable?

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 02:36 AM
How many people play campaigns in the il2? Ive started a few but the odds are against surviving the first couple of missions unless you turn tail, drop load and run for home at the first signs of trouble. Is a campaign in a il2 survivable?

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 05:02 AM
I think it would depend somewhat on your conf.ini difficulty settings. I am in a campaign flying them right now and I'm on my fifth or so mission, but I have no settings on hard. I fly on default settings mostly. But yes, it is hard to survive for long in a IL2 Campaign but that's only how it really was, lots of IL2 pilots died. Think IL2 campaign is tough to survive?? Try a Stuka Caampaign then, you'll see waht tough is all about. The Stuka is durable, but not quite as durable as the IL2, so it's easy meat for those over-modelled and laser sighted, VVS machine guns and cannons. If you can survive 10 missions in a Stuka, you should get a medal in real life.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1755

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 05:20 AM
I am on the third campaign in my IL-2 career. I found the best way to survive the IL-2 series 1 and IL-2 series 2 missions was to attack the Bf-109 and Bf-110 fighters as soon as they showed up regardless of what the actual mission was.

I found the other planes in my squadron would blindly follow the leader and get shot down from behind as the Germanstypically attacked the last plane in our group and worked forward. Other times they would go straight for the leader.

The best thing to do is to fly with your group until your leader spots the fighters. Immediately climb 400 to 500 meters above your group and look to see where the Germans are coming from and who they are attacking first. As soon as they pick a target try to take one of them out. If you can't get a good shot, just spray a few MG rounds in their general direction and they will break off. Save your canon rounds for a good shot. Usually the Germans will now come after you --- and only you!

Stay low and take them on one at a time. Your IL-2 will take a lot of hits from behind so don't break off from a good pursuit unless you really have to. Once you have a 109 in your sights you need to kill him. Another trick is to let a 109 get right behind you and then pull up and throttle to 0% and let him fly by you. Your wings are a lot bigger and you won't stall as easy as he will. As he goes by he will probably turn to prevent you from getting on his six. Guess left or right and go after him. Don't be afraid to use your rockets to take out a 109 or 110 at very close range.

You will refly a lot of missions because you didn't make it, but I found being aggressive like this saved me more often than not and kept my fellow pilots alive too.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 06:14 AM
mate i think i will take a break from the ground attack and start flying a shmitt, ive found them a nice little plane to fly, pretty tempermental though.

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 12:52 PM
After finishing a Russian Fighter campaign, I was 10 or so missions into the IL-2 campaign before I ran into computer problems. Thinking it was the game I un-installed IL-2FB only to later discover it was faulty RAM /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif I didn't save my campaigns.

That's OK as I was starting to miss dogfighting, though for a short while I liked the change of attacking ground units.

Personally, and I'm not great at this game (still quite new), I found the IL-2 missions easier than the previous fighter campaign (I play on default campaign settings). That's not to say I didn't have to retry one or two missions, but generally I had a better knack at destroying ground targets then figuring out dogfighting.

Having taken out the bad RAM (while I went for my additional 512 MB Rambus memory to arrive from Dell) I have started the other Russian fighter campaign. The funny thing is that the second mission involves attacking tanks with my I-16. Where's that IL-2 when I need it /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Best regards friend!

XyZspineZyX
10-10-2003, 03:29 PM
i used il2 to go after fighters /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
and my stuka actully
takes ages to down planes in stuka :\