PDA

View Full Version : Down in flames blues

gothkrieger
01-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Heck, it sure is tough to fly normal setting. Been flying Bf109 against Blenheim Mk. IV. He usually messes me up before I get him. And landings, its still pancake time.

TheCrux
01-02-2011, 10:07 PM
My feeling is that it's better to master flying first, fighting second. Taking off, flying/navigating, and ( mostly ) successful landings are a must in the online world...in any server worth flying.

As far as attacking bombers, try to think in terms of what their gunner sees, as far as a firing solution goes. If you were a gunner ( and you could try it yourself by flying a bomber ) you would see the ideal situation as an attacking A/C flying on a straight course toward you, allowing you to pour fire into him without much deflection. Attack in a fashion that would require gunners to have a continually moving arc...and at as high a closure rate as you can. Less chance for you to hit ( it requires practice in gunnery/deflection ) but much harder for him to hit you. Using this, I have many times downed Blenheims with a Ki-43 early model with just 2 7.7mm machine guns.

Ba5tard5word
01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Blenheims only have an MG on the top, so attack from below them and he can't hit you as much.

gothkrieger
01-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Finally put it down. Following tutorial, the 109 gets pretty spongy in the last few feet before set down even at 150mph. Find myself using joystick to correct and keep her steady in the final moments. Donít know why I have to do that.

DKoor
01-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Ba5tard5word:
Blenheims only have an MG on the top, so attack from below them and he can't hit you as much. Unless he is real trigger happy and rakes its own belly first http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif .

DKoor
01-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by gothkrieger:
Finally put it down. Following tutorial, the 109 gets pretty spongy in the last few feet before set down even at 150mph. Find myself using joystick to correct and keep her steady in the final moments. Donít know why I have to do that. If anything Bf-109 is quite stable plane, so in speedy shallow/sharp dives you shouldn't have a problem keeping the crosshair on target... sharp dives are not as effective if you build significant speed because your elevator will lock and trim wont be as fast to correct target solution.

But extremely fast (600kph+) shallower dives works in most cases.
When you attack bombers and are exposed to gunner operational area you don't want to be slow as they will hit you.

M_Gunz
01-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Finally put it down. Following tutorial, the 109 gets pretty spongy in the last few feet before set down even at 150mph. Find myself using joystick to correct and keep her steady in the final moments. Donít know why I have to do that.

One wing drops before the other before touchdown? If you're not ruddering perfectly that can happen. Down below 180kph (not mph) the slip ball isn't worth much either. Rudder a bit away from the wing that starts to drop, it will pick back up. Don't use aileron at very low speed because you can stall the wing you're trying to lift which pulls it back as well as down -- unless you *want* to cartwheel down the runway! Do the pedal dance instead and work on stalling both wings just as you touch, the plane won't have enough energy to bounce if you do it proper.

That spongy feeling is simulated ground effect. Your induced drag drops and you can stay ballooning a long way down the strip. AFAIK it's only coded in on runways though.

gothkrieger
01-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks guys, will give those tips a try. Would like to get good enough to fly online in time.

M2morris
01-03-2011, 08:00 PM
From a high enough final approach to glide-in with power at idle I land at a higher speed, faster than stall speed, using very small gentle stick movements until my wheels touch then I give a tiny bit of down elevator and the wheels just suck to the runway and stay there. You could call it a flare but its more like flying it to the ground. Let it run out it's energy while using rudder of course to keep it going straight down the runway. Tap the brakes if you want but not too much or it'l want to tip over forward.
You probably know all this already. But for me thats the safest and most foolproof way to land.

Edit:
I also forgot to mention that while on a steep fast gliding in approach on final you can see the runway very well and it doesn't disappear behind the nose of the plane.
Visibility for landing is good.

Sillius_Sodus
01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
This is my LAR (looks about right) method for landing that works with most aircraft in IL2 when landing on a runway:

200kph with gear and flaps down on final approach, bleeding the speed down to 140kph or so when crossing the runway threshold. When you are ready to flare, raise the nose just enough to slow/almost stop your descent rate and let the aircraft settle onto the runway. Let the airplane run straight while raising the flaps to kill the lift on the wings then bring the kite to a stop or taxi speed using your brakes.

You might need a bit more speed with some of the larger twins and four-engine kites.

Landing on a carrier is a different animal, in that case you'll want to fly it on in the 120-130kph speed range. Fortunately, most naval aircraft, perhaps with the exception of the Corsair, are happy flying at very low speed, although the ai will fly the Corsair at 70kts (120kph or so) all day long...

...Bastidges http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif .

M_Gunz
01-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Use your elevators to control your speed, your throttle to control your height change and keep a safe speed margin on approach.
Just remember to keep trimming up with any changes.

Whenever a wing drops, see how the nose also moves.

gothkrieger
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Been trying to land on those small grass runways in Russia and finding it hard enough just to actually land on the runway, umm, well end up on it anyway, LOL. Still working at it, thanks for the tips, I see its going to take me some time to get good at it.

mortoma
01-04-2011, 11:00 PM
The 109 is the easiest tail dragger to land in the sim so you should keep practicing with it. I can make a three pointer almost every time. Some planes want to drop a wing before you get to a three point landing attitude. But not the 109s and that's Emils all the way up to the K-4 model.

PhantomKira
01-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Trim is your friend. Trim for neutral stick in the flight regime you want. I've found this to be a the deal maker with landings, when I no longer have to worry about a sudden adjustment to the back pressure on the stick and can let the plane fly itself to the runway with minimal input. Given the right trim setting, you can see plenty of runway, and have a nice, stable approach to landing. Use your power to adjust rate of decent, and thus where you land, and there you are. You must have a good solid approach set up first, of course, otherwise, you may end up ramming the struts right up through the wings (been there, done that!). Generally speaking, a good approach will result in a good landing, and vice versa. It's all in the setup.

WTE_Galway
01-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Approach speed is the secret to landing any airplane. The correct approach speed differs with configuration and loadout for the same plane.

Too fast and you bounce or fly forever a few feet off the runway. Too slow and you wallow about like a lame duck and then drop.

Initially aim for an approach speed 30% above the stall speed of your plane in its current configuration.

Once over the runway threshold you should reduce throttle (note these aircraft are not a Cessna, some aircraft still need a bit of throttle up to the point you touch down) and visualize your job as trying to fly a few inches above the runway to the other end without touching it as you reduce throttle.

TheGrunch
01-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Gothkrieger, register at www.mission4today.com (http://www.mission4today.com) and get yourself this campaign (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2147&page=4). Definitely the best set of missions to practise landings and take-offs, and as dull as it sounds at first look, it's actually really fun.

gothkrieger
01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks, I checked into in & got the campaign now and am learnng the ropes

C.W.M.V.
01-07-2011, 08:18 PM
BF109 is far from the easiest tail dragger to land IMHO. The gear is narrow and the nose is long. Something like the 190A is way easier with its wider track gear.
Honestly I only started nailing landings when I stopped trying to land like the AI. I don't even try for a three point landing anymore, I just touch the main gear down at the threshold of the runway, tap the brakes and let her come to a stop. I never use trim settings either but thats cause I only have the stick portion of HOTAS.
Try landing with something like the P-40, way easier bird to fly/land.
Only one that gives me trouble anymore is the F-86.

M2morris
01-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by C.W.M.V.:
BF109 is far from the easiest tail dragger to land IMHO. The gear is narrow and the nose is long. Something like the 190A is way easier with its wider track gear.
Honestly I only started nailing landings when I stopped trying to land like the AI. I don't even try for a three point landing anymore, I just touch the main gear down at the threshold of the runway, tap the brakes and let her come to a stop. I never use trim settings either but thats cause I only have the stick portion of HOTAS.
Try landing with something like the P-40, way easier bird to fly/land.
Only one that gives me trouble anymore is the F-86.

Yeah I agree.
The 190 has a beautiful set of gear that are nice and wide, while the 109 gear killed a lot of pilots.

But in this game I just land the things like they are gliders.

One way I trained myself was I would fly directly over a runway at about two thousand feet and then I would cut the engine.
When you can make a nice dead stick landing every time, in any plane, then you have it down. The only exception would be a carrier of course or if you are trying to land in a confined space, then those slow-flight skills come into play.

M_Gunz
01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by M2morris:
One way I trained myself was I would fly directly over a runway at about two thousand feet and then I would cut the engine.
When you can make a nice dead stick landing every time, in any plane, then you have it down. The only exception would be a carrier of course or if you are trying to land in a confined space, then those slow-flight skills come into play.

That's how I ended missions in AotP and AoE back in the mid-90's. 1 Throttle to idle. 2 Land Safely. Easier then than now. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif