PDA

View Full Version : Hellcat VS Corsair

Zacast
10-10-2004, 11:28 PM
How do you think these two will stack up against eachother in Pacific Fighters?

The Corsair is obviously going to be faster, will probably climb better, and will roll better than the Hellcat. In terms of general performance and load outs the Corsair should win pretty big.

From what I read though at the sim HQ preview, the Hellcat appeared to have great acceleration, maneuverability, and he felt it was immensely fun to fly. The Hellcat will obviously have an advantage in carrier landings because of it's better forward visibility.

If thing's remain as they are in the previews, the Hellcat will probably prove to be the better dog fighter and will be popular with newer guys. The Corsair will be a BnZ plane and in the end will probably prove the better combat plane in experianced hands.

Personally I'm gonna take the Hellcat because I'm an F6F nut :P That plane is just wonderful.

Zacast
10-10-2004, 11:28 PM
How do you think these two will stack up against eachother in Pacific Fighters?

The Corsair is obviously going to be faster, will probably climb better, and will roll better than the Hellcat. In terms of general performance and load outs the Corsair should win pretty big.

From what I read though at the sim HQ preview, the Hellcat appeared to have great acceleration, maneuverability, and he felt it was immensely fun to fly. The Hellcat will obviously have an advantage in carrier landings because of it's better forward visibility.

If thing's remain as they are in the previews, the Hellcat will probably prove to be the better dog fighter and will be popular with newer guys. The Corsair will be a BnZ plane and in the end will probably prove the better combat plane in experianced hands.

Personally I'm gonna take the Hellcat because I'm an F6F nut :P That plane is just wonderful.

Fliger747
10-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Your description of the REAL planes was pretty good. How they stack up in the GAME is undetectable at present.

If you only got to 'die' once in your ownership of the game, the F6F would become more 'popular'. as with the real thing, if modeled well, the F4U will be an 'ensign eliminator'. Not impossible to fly, or even really difficult, just (really) unforgiving.

VW-IceFire
10-11-2004, 08:04 AM
My favorite of the two is the Corsair. Not to diminish the Hellcat either which I also like quite a bit.

The Hellcat was easier to fly and had better manuverability than the Corsair. I think it also had better acceleration but I'm not entirely sure on that point.

The Corsair is faster and quirkier with a better roll rate. I can see many who like the FW190 having a blast with the Corsair.

I think this is very much going to be a preference thing. I'll probably swap between the two if I'm playing on the USN side.

horseback
10-11-2004, 10:51 AM
The greatest difference was quality of manufacture and design. Grumman went for a 'better' plane and were able to execute their design and work out the bugs quickly. Vought went for a 'best' design concept and had to work out a lot of bugs over most of the war before they got to the F4U-4.

Vought's manufacturing and quality practices were not on the same level, and Grumman could correctly say throughout the war that a Corsair was faster than a Hellcat only four days out of the week (the Corsair was being worked on the the other three days).

Since manufacturing/maintenance problems are not modeled in the Il-2 FB series, the major difficulty with the Corsair will be carrier landings and greater susceptability (compared to the Hellcat or Jug) to enemy fire. It'll be faster and harder to fly, but anyone who has mastered landing the Me 109 series should have few problems operating from a land base.

cheers

horseback

VFA-195 Snacky
10-11-2004, 11:08 AM
This is a debate that has gone on for years, but in all actuality the Corsair and Hellcat were not that different from each other in peformance.

If your only interested in stats I suggest comparing for yourself, but every article I have ever read on the Corsair vs Hellcat debate says they are both equally effective. The Hellcat has a slight advantage at lower altitudes while the Corsair holds the advantage at higher altitudes.

Corsair:
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f4u-4.pdf

Hellcat:
http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/f6f-5.pdf

Yellonet
10-11-2004, 11:58 AM
The Hellcat will probably be my (fighter) favourite, it was in AotP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

JG7_Rall
10-11-2004, 12:05 PM
I don't think I'll be able to choose between these two as well as the P-40B and wildcat...all sexy birds

JG7_Rall
10-11-2004, 12:05 PM
And that Michell will be sweet too....man I can't wait for PF!!!