PDA

View Full Version : Question for developers re: CR.42 and aileron trim

Tallyho1961
07-11-2005, 09:00 AM
I posted this in General Discussion, but nobody seems to have any information about it.

Recently I've been learning the Fiat CR.42 and I noticed that, unlike all the other IL2 a/c I've flown, you need to pay a lot of attention to aileron trim - pretty much the same as with rudder trim: set appropriate bias on takeoff, then adjust based on airspeed.

Then, as I was doing a cockpit map for the a/c, I saw there is a large animated aileron trim wheel and the only aileron trim gauge I've ever seen in the sim.

Obviously there is something unusual about the aerodynamics of this a/c and I can't find any reference to this on the Web or in my books on aircraft.

Can you provide insight on this - I'm curious as to why this aircraft is so unstable along the roll axis.

Thank you.

Tallyho1961
07-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Self-bump for an unsolved mystery.

PlaneEater
07-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Not being sure of the actual reason, I'm going to take a gut-instinct guess and say it's a combination of torque, the short airframe, short wingspan, and the proximity of the wings to the motor (less distance and thus leverage to work against torque / gyro effect).

Tallyho1961
07-12-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi PlaneEater,

It sounds like something like that, doesn't it.

My curiosity stems from the fact that the developers obviously went to some lengths to make sure this characteristic was modelled, plus they added an animated aileron trim gauge so that we can keep track of the input.

And yet, I can't find any mention of this phenomena after a fair bit of digging around.

Anyway, I think this is really a neat feature of this aircraft and makes it a lot of fun to fly.