PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Pro or XP 64 bit beta?

TFO_Psylent
10-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Im looking to build a new machine with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. Is it worth it to install the beta 64 bit edition of XP or should I just stick with XP Pro? Has anyone been playing on the 64 bit OS?

Psy

TFO_Psylent
10-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Im looking to build a new machine with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. Is it worth it to install the beta 64 bit edition of XP or should I just stick with XP Pro? Has anyone been playing on the 64 bit OS?

Psy

Weather_Man
10-17-2004, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't use XP64 as your main OS until some time after the offical release. Stick with XP Pro for now or dual boot it if you want to try 64bit.

VR_Trojan_
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Did you know that you can download a 3 month version of Windows XP 64bitsfor free? check it out here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx it does beat running unstable beta and with the 3 month serial you get when registering you can update it all the way with windows update so at least you should have the system running long enough to find out if its what you need.
nVidia and ATI do support the new Microsoft Windows Vista too so finding drivers for your motherboard, sound, graphics etc.. should not be any problem but you may encounter some driver release delays on some 3rd party hardware that which dont run at all on built in windows drivers.
Some companies though have started releasing drivers for the x64 environment such as Asus, HP, Creative labs and more every month :-) something you should be carefull with is wireless lan adapters from D-link as non of the current XP 32 drivers work to even install in Xp x64 and according to their support hotline they are not planning anything at all, so a word of advice is that before you buy any additional hardware for your system do check out the manufacturers website to see if drivers for your system are supported.
On the subject of installing and playing Pacific fighters on a x64 based system there are a few issues.
1. The game will install all the way without errors but will crash on the initial splash screen where you see the game version.
2. SLI will not run stable for long and the fps will dramatically decrease during extended online play.

What I did was install everything from scatch when I finished installing FB+ACE the game started up but I never did try to run any map only start it up.
Afterwards I installed Pacific Fighters and every patch in the right order oddly enough the game didnt even want to make it to the menu so I installed everything again this time installing to the Program Files(x86) folder to check if windows could simulate a 32 bit mode but again I got the same problems so I started trying to run it in compatibility mode without luck I also tried to reinstall eveything in the compatibility mode trying different options on every install I even tried to fool the setup into thinking I was installing on an NT system but it just didnt help.

The solution!
If you at first fail keep trying :-)
It couldnt be more simple.
After about 6 hrs of not getting the game to run I took all the cd,s and visited a freind installed it on his xp 32 system made a rar archive and burnt the installed game folder onto a DVD.
The I got home unzipped it into the same path I installed the game to C:\Games\\Simulations\Pacific Fighters overwriting the old install after that I installed all the patches ran the game and it started up and has been working fine since :-)
Just be sure you dont put it in the x86 version of the program files folder as it again will not work when the system tries to emulate the 32 bit environment for the game.

The x64 bit system I am running this on is.
. Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe Nforce 4 motherboard
. Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 3.0GHz EM64T
. 2x 512mb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 Ram 667mhz.
. 2x Asus Extreme Geforce 6600 GT TOP SLI
. 2x Western Digital Raptor 74gb SATA2 10000rpm
. NesteQ NA6201 620W 0dB powersupply w/12v@30A
. Plextor PX-760A/T3 Dual-Layer DVD Burner
. Cyborg Evo USB Joystick
. Zboard USB gaming keyboard
. Razer Diamondback rzd 1600 Gaming Mouse
. APC Back UPS CS-650 Battery backup
. Samtron 96P 19" screen 1280x1024 at 85hz
. Windows XP X64 Professional with SP1
. All graphic and Nforce drivers are the latest releases from nVidia.
Motherboard and soundcard drivers are the latest releases from Asus
Razerzone and Zboard have stable releases for xp x64 the only drivers I let windows install standards for is the joystick and and screen.
The system is currently profile oced to-
FSB@840.47
CPU@3150 210.01x15
Memory@4.3.3.10 + Auto@190v
Vcore@1.33v
GPU@560mhz in 3D 330mhz in 2D
GRam@1.25ghz

Hope this helps have fun flying
- Trojan from Vultures Row Squad