PDA

View Full Version : 22 patrols: Sonar has NEVER found a boat

vois2
04-09-2005, 09:37 PM
My sonar man is a Chief Sr. Warrant Officer, has 333/300 experience, badges and awards up to Iron Cross Second Class, has been with me for 240,000 tonnage, and has still never reported a "random monster" sonar contact. He is effective when boats are extremely close (when my U-boat is in the middle of a convoy, say) but otherwise has never reported anything except "No Sonar Contact". I have had him conduct hundreds of full sweeps at depth 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m, with my engine shut off, with no results. I usually stay down and silent for 10+ minutes for these sweeps. Moreover, when I take his place at the hydrophone, only ONE time have I ever heard a ship. The conditions are the same when I do it myself, and I confirm that volume is at its highest level by checking the sound of my own engines just before going "all stop". What am I doing wrong? I have followed the advice of many on this forum, but can't get any effective sonar operation. I'm in a VIIB with upgraded sonar and it's October '41 right now, and I'm on patch v1.2. Thanks in advance!

vois2
04-09-2005, 09:37 PM
My sonar man is a Chief Sr. Warrant Officer, has 333/300 experience, badges and awards up to Iron Cross Second Class, has been with me for 240,000 tonnage, and has still never reported a "random monster" sonar contact. He is effective when boats are extremely close (when my U-boat is in the middle of a convoy, say) but otherwise has never reported anything except "No Sonar Contact". I have had him conduct hundreds of full sweeps at depth 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m, with my engine shut off, with no results. I usually stay down and silent for 10+ minutes for these sweeps. Moreover, when I take his place at the hydrophone, only ONE time have I ever heard a ship. The conditions are the same when I do it myself, and I confirm that volume is at its highest level by checking the sound of my own engines just before going "all stop". What am I doing wrong? I have followed the advice of many on this forum, but can't get any effective sonar operation. I'm in a VIIB with upgraded sonar and it's October '41 right now, and I'm on patch v1.2. Thanks in advance!

quillan
04-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Well, lets see. First, you can only hear a ship if a ship is there to be heard. That sounds obvious, but it's still true. If there's nothing there, you won't hear it. Secondly, what is the efficiency (the green bar at the top of the compartment) of your sonar/radio room? That directly relates to how well they do. I'm on patrol 24, and I long since gave the radio qualification to two warrant officers, rewarded them both up to the German Cross in Gold so they are immune to fatigue, and keep them in the sonar/radio room 24/7. Compartment efficiency is 100%, and I routinely have them pick up contacts between 14km and 20km away. If I man the phones myself, I can hear screw noises farther away, but they still won't classify it and report it as a contact.

One not so obvious: they will not report anything as a contact if it is in sight. So, don't have the periscopes up when you're trying it.

Now, that said, using the hydrophones to search for ships does not have a random chance of spawning a ship. The dynamic campaign doesn't work that way. A ship spawns at its port of origin, and travels by a set route to its port of destination. The game keeps track of the locations of all the ships in the world that are currently active. If you're close enough to one, you'll hear it. If you aren't, then listening does nothing but confirm there's nothing to be heard.

Johnny_JG2
04-09-2005, 10:07 PM
10 minutes game-time is seldom enough to hear anything.

The only time I'm on the surface is if I'm recharging batteries or transitting to a far place. If I ever decide that I want to dive and listen in an area before I get to my destination, I give myself several hours of game-time to listen in an area.

If my sonarman don't hear anything right away, I'm on the hydrophone listening manually. Often I'll hear a distant contact and can begin plotting its course long before my sonarman hears him.

Spend more time underwater and you'll find lots of contacts- and try and stick to the main shipping lanes where possible.

valpospe
04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Just my two cents. I have had pretty good luck diving to 25m and cruising at ahead slow. Keep in mind my opinion of "good luck" is maybe one contact every few days. Of course depending on where and when I try it.

Aragorn87
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I too have had bad luck with it, i get contacts cruising on the surface every so often, but also i will dive to 50 meters, come to a dead stop(by this i mean reverse engines and come to 0kts) and listen myself, and not once in about 30 times have i heard the faintest noise, ive also gotten the upgraded hydrophone so if anyone can offer tips im all ears.

Hiriyu
04-10-2005, 12:56 AM
My sonar officer, after 14 patrols is still not adept at picking up long range contacts, so I do it myself at short intervals. I pick up lots of traffic, and account for most of my kills that way. If you place the burden of vigilance on yourself, you will find plenty of tonnage to be had.

reumatiib
04-10-2005, 02:15 AM
That's odd, my sonar men are doing ok. Send your to the medic to check their ears for wax.

WTE_Grendal
04-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Hmm, I am on my first patrol, so my sonar guy is still green, the bar is sitting just below half. My sonar man recently picked up a distant contact and when I went to listen I could not hear it for at least another hour, game time.

Other time (different campaigns) I have picked up the sound contact way before the sonar operator.

Ronin.nj
04-10-2005, 09:13 AM
i have an dedicated team of four qualifed snr-wrrnt officers,all have uboat badge.2 have iron cross.i never let them lose more than 1/8 on the yellow energy bar.i also do not employ them till im out off the coast,north west of lorient.i make the most of 2 snr. seamen till then.now im getting an idea of where to hunt,i will sit on an lane for an few hours(be,bf for c2&c3`s),also make use of the watch crew at night,lol they often see ships long before i do.plus i have an practice of diving to 25 every 1.5 hrs,and listen my self,im not doing to bad i have over 170,000 to date.20 missions.

SenorDingDong48
04-10-2005, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
Well, lets see. First, you can only hear a ship if a ship is there to be heard. That sounds obvious, but it's still true. If there's nothing there, you won't hear it. Secondly, what is the efficiency (the green bar at the top of the compartment) of your sonar/radio room? That directly relates to how well they do. I'm on patrol 24, and I long since gave the radio qualification to two warrant officers, rewarded them both up to the German Cross in Gold so they are immune to fatigue, and keep them in the sonar/radio room 24/7. Compartment efficiency is 100%, and I routinely have them pick up contacts between 14km and 20km away. If I man the phones myself, I can hear screw noises farther away, but they still won't classify it and report it as a contact.

One not so obvious: they will not report anything as a contact if it is in sight. So, don't have the periscopes up when you're trying it.

Now, that said, using the hydrophones to search for ships does not have a random chance of spawning a ship. The dynamic campaign doesn't work that way. A ship spawns at its port of origin, and travels by a set route to its port of destination. The game keeps track of the locations of all the ships in the world that are currently active. If you're close enough to one, you'll hear it. If you aren't, then listening does nothing but confirm there's nothing to be heard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you give sailors promotions and rewards? I havent quite figured it out yet, theres no button for it in crew when your in base.

Fraukaputt
04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Please, i think any experimented player should post about a full use of hydrophone/sonar.
I am at 32% realism (yes, im dumb). I let a good petty officer at sonar (sonar room bar full), and he's able to detect ships at 7-8 km range when submerged at ahead slow. If i man the station, i can hear many other contacts, but i cant add em. So i try to use the (gerat i think was called) ping by clicking the SENDE button (i think is not truly a button, is pretty dark in that little square, but i should have it with gerat installed) in the direction of a known contact to get its range (i knew it was lower than 3 km coz used 3D view and was about 1 km of me).
So after hitting SENDE, nothing happent. No more data on the notepad, no answer from my officer, no contact update on map (it still was a black line in the bearing of the contact).Only way to find a target's range was by locking it on periscope and asking my sound officer to determine range (both buttons do the same range)
So, PLEASE, how do you use the ping button?and what does it does? (i mean beside that is a sound wave that returns an echoe that...) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

NaturalBornGoth
04-10-2005, 04:42 PM
I can only repeat myself: the sonar guy seems to be bugged. He doesn't report contacts when map contact updates are deactivated. Not even contacts that he definately WOULD report, if map contact updates were activated.