PDA

View Full Version : Add-on?

JG52Uther
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
OK i guess i let myself get carried away.I really believed we were going to get a lot more in 3.04.Now i know better and will wait patiently for the new planes which were supposedly finished some time ago,but could not be included due to lack of CD space.One thing does intrigue me though, now there is talk not so much of another patch, but of an 'add on'.Does this mean a paid add on? I think we are spoiled with this sim, and people think they have the right to moan and whine 'fix this fix that , dm's fm's blah blah blah'.I dont do that,and have always loved the whole il2 series.This is not so much a game to me as a hobby, and i have spent a lot of money on this hobby.I have to say though that i can understand people's frustration when we dont get what we think we are going to get.I suppose i am not so much of a 'fanboy' anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

JG52Uther
01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
OK i guess i let myself get carried away.I really believed we were going to get a lot more in 3.04.Now i know better and will wait patiently for the new planes which were supposedly finished some time ago,but could not be included due to lack of CD space.One thing does intrigue me though, now there is talk not so much of another patch, but of an 'add on'.Does this mean a paid add on? I think we are spoiled with this sim, and people think they have the right to moan and whine 'fix this fix that , dm's fm's blah blah blah'.I dont do that,and have always loved the whole il2 series.This is not so much a game to me as a hobby, and i have spent a lot of money on this hobby.I have to say though that i can understand people's frustration when we dont get what we think we are going to get.I suppose i am not so much of a 'fanboy' anymore. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

LEXX_Luthor
01-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Yes, Addon is no mere Patch. A paid addon would mean UBI is still interested in future FB/PF CD releaces for the western market. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

WTE_Galway
01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
being a non-broadband internet person who rarely gets the patches (I subscribed to computer pilot just to get patches but they almost immediatley dumped the cover cd's because "everyone is on broadband now"),I am more than happy to pay for add-ons and when i hear a paid addon is available I react with glee http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tully__
01-18-2005, 10:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
being a non-broadband internet person who rarely gets the patches (I subscribed to computer pilot just to get patches but they almost immediatley dumped the cover cd's because "everyone is on broadband now"),I am more than happy to pay for add-ons and when i hear a paid addon is available I react with glee http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Galway, for a relatively small fee 3DGamers and a couple of the other websites will burn patches onto CD and send them by post.

ImpStarDuece
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I think paid addons are the way of the future for 1C, whether we like it or not.

Seriously, most games and game communities wouldn't dream of this level of support. Particularly not for FREE.

Look at Everquest. In the 5 and 1/2 years it has been out there have been 9 (yes 9) paid add-ons for it. Sounds like a lot huh? But there has been hardly a lick of free support, whether to fix outstanding bugs or otherwise. That works out to about one paid for (US 29.99) add-on every 7 & 1/2 months.

Now compare this to IL2/FB/PF. Apart from the original game there has been 3 paid for add-ons based on the original engine; forgotten battles, aces expansion patch and Pacific Fighters. 3 addons in as many years. However the amount of free patches, skins, missions, aircraft ect that has been added boggles the mind. Think about how many patches have been released. IL2 stopped after what, seven? FB was up to 2.04.PF has only been out for 4 or five months but we are already up to free pathc number FOUR, with the promise of more to come in the immediate future.

I dont think that 1C and Ubi can keep this level of FREE and UNPARALLELED support going. It just doesn't leave them enought room for future projects. I have paid to support this game. Paid with multiple copies of it to give as gifts, paid with upgrades to my rig, paid for every expansion that comes my way. Big deal. I paid almost twice for CFS3 as what i did for IL2. If you add the price of IL2, FB and Aces Expansion pack together I paid less than i did for CFS2 and 3. Which has given me the richer gaming experiance and better bang for my buck, I wonder?

Paid add-ons make sense to me. IL2 didn't get the respect of the WW2 gamers community because it looked pretty. It go it because it was the best game out there, with the best support from its developer and the community who played it. I challenge you to find another company that has supported their product like 1C has supported, and continues to support, the IL2 serise.

If i have to fork out 25-50 dollars to keep playing this sim, so what. If i fly another 50 hours in it that will make it some of the cheapest enetrtainment i will ever get.

Singnig off in frustration at most of the community,

wayno7777
01-18-2005, 11:11 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/351.gif That's about right,

woofiedog
01-19-2005, 12:05 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Being able to burn a disc from the net makes alot more sence than running around and trying to find a store that has a Copy of etc etc.
How much time have you spent going store to store... calling them on the phone... just to get there and they still don't have a copy after all!

madsarmy
01-19-2005, 01:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ImpStarDuece:
Now compare this to IL2/FB/PF. Apart from the original game there has been 3 paid for add-ons based on the original engine; forgotten battles, aces expansion patch and Pacific Fighters. 3 addons in as many years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a start FB was not an add-on also PF is not an add-on. They were stand alone's the only add-on is AEP.

I think most of the comunity would agree that Ic do a fantastic job of supporting this sim. Even if we dont always get what we want.
People don't mind paying for an ad-on if it's worth having & AEP was but nobody is going to like paying for a 100-200mb ad-on at the usual price they sell at 15-20.

MO_JOJO
01-19-2005, 01:53 AM
No complaints to the makers. I think they've done a great job, and offer fantastic support in conjunction with this forum. I would rather pay for addons than see this product sidelined.

I also wish someone would create a tutorial on CD or DVD to guide the noob or some of us who have had the game a long time, but don't get much time to play. It takes forever to learn all the volumes of knowledge it takes to become decent enough to be competitive, and a DVD might prove to be a useful tool to save us a lot of time and frustration.

It would have to be in 3 parts, at least. One on computer setup, one on ground/flight school, and a very good reference section. I would pay $50 for such a thing, I don't know about anyone else.

Has anyone thought of or attempted this? You entrepreneurs, there's an idea for you to possibly make a few bucks.

F19_Orheim
01-19-2005, 02:44 AM
Paid add-on = revenues for Maddox Games and Ubi.... = sh*tload of work = means more to play with for us = I like!
However add-ons on CD's is maybe not that lucrative. If maddox games made addons that you have to purchase downloadable they would not have to use UBI as a distributor.The guys behind Lock On did it so why not Oleg and Co? = more dough for Maddox Games themselves = more addons and flyable planes for us(?) = life of IL2 series is prolonged = I like!

triggerhappyfin
01-19-2005, 03:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by F19_Orheim:
Paid add-on = revenues for Maddox Games and Ubi.... = sh*tload of work = means more to play with for us = I like!
However add-ons on CD's is maybe not that lucrative. If maddox games made addons that you have to purchase downloadable they would not have to use UBI as a distributor.The guys behind Lock On did it so why not Oleg and Co? = more dough for Maddox Games themselves = more addons and flyable planes for us(?) = life of IL2 series is prolonged = I like! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me like too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Jettexas
01-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Prediction-
Free- The Betty, at least one late war IJN fighter to even things up a bit,maybe some ships, ground objects, maybe a map.an early war **** plane or two and one more axis "fantasy/revisionist history" plane.Enough stuff to shut up the "its not finished/the box lied/No really I want my Betty" crowd.

Paid- Everything European(Ju,the new maps, the long awaited Tempest...etc) thats been sitting in mothballs since Hector was a pup.

Carve it in stone so that ye may remember and be suitably dazzled by my prescience when it comes to pass...now Im off back to the mountain top.

Thus spake Jettexas,
So let it be written, SO let it be done.

Jettexas

PBNA-Boosher
01-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Personally, I would be very angry if UBI and 1C put out another pay addon so soon after PF came out, especially if it was holding the Murmansk maps that we first saw a few months after the release of FB, the Ju-88 which has been going on for awhile, the Pe-2, Tempest, etc...

But face it, even if I'm angry, I'd pay for it anyway. It means I may not appreciate things as much, and I'd know that my money was somewhat wasted, but hey, this game IS the most accurate one out there. If everyone else moves ahead, I can't play with them, can I?

LW_Icarus
01-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Well, guess Ill throw my .02 in as well, I dont mind paid add-ons. I have a little disposable income and I do not begrudge maddox and crew or Ubi their pay for their hard work.

What I do have a problem with, however, is the fact that every time they release an add on theydivide the community into smaller and smaller segments.

right now you theoretically could have something like 4 seperate IL2 installs to have every version covered. that doesnt count the ppl that dont patch when they should. I still see 3.0 and 3.2bm rooms up. theres FB, FB+AEP, FB+AEP+PF and lastly PF stand-alone.

next will be FB+AEP+PF+add on. adding yet another active version. I guess I wish that they could consolidate it a bit to where I might stand half a chance in Oleg-World of finding a room to fly in.We are way to small a group to be divided so many times.

or maybe releasing PF with a merged option was a mistake, I dunno. I dont have any good solutions, since the pooch is already screwed. I am just waiting at this point for the BoB sim, hoping it will unite us again.

till then Ill fly where I can, and install add ons as they become available.

Troll2k
01-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Paying for added content is fine.I have no problem there.

However I am a little hesitent about paying for fixes.But that said if it results in a new version number I will get it anyway.

civildog
01-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm always more than willing to pay a fair price for what's promised in a quality product. But i really don't like being told that if i buy it now, the later patches will provide what was promised...and then not having that happen.

Maybe if they would just come out and say: Buy the core game for x and later add-ons will expand it for x amount per add-on. Patches will be free to ensure problems are fixed and everyone's version will be compatible even if they don't use anything more than just the core game.

That way if we aren't interested in Pacific theatre planes and battles we wouldn't have to buy it and yet we would still get to play against those who didi buy it because the core game would always be the one patched.

Maybe a "Pay-per-Plane" option? Go to 1C's site and download the planes you want for 2 or 3 bucks a plane. The maps come with the free patches so we can all play online together.

JG52Russkly
01-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Seems to be some sensible stuff pervading this thread:

New maps and planes = add-on = pay
Fixes/improvements in DM/FM, etc. = patch = free

We probably got spoiled by Oleg early doors, because it was such a labour of love and the community was relatively small.

Now I'm happy to go big-styley commercial on this and pay for add-ons. Let's face it, this is commerce, and money is the ultimate objective.

More money for 1C = more resources available for fantastic new 1C projects like BoB, Wartime Command, etc.

Yes, the communication has been poor since the release of PF, and the management of expectation has been too; and the latter is undoubtedly the greatest issue. But having said that, there are thousands of us out there, patch whiners or non-patch whiners, who will d/l anything we can get our hands on within seconds of it being posted!

Bring it on.

LeadSpitter_
01-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Im very disapointed and angry. We dont know if its true this paid addon talk. But the lack of letting us know whats being changed exactly in the readmes is sickening.

And we shelled out 90 for this game 30 fb 30 aep 40 for pf and 30 for sturmovik. Thats alot of money for a game designed of the sturmovik engine. Even tho there is alot of content. Theres no doubt this is the best wwii dogfighting sim out but lacks alot of things we are all looking for and why we dropped the other sims and came to sturmovik but seems to be sliding the other way now.

I'd say cancel BOB make the new engine and move all these FB AEP PF aircraft models to the new engine along with the bob ones and then you can add your russian 46 in the mix maybe even a koreanwar planeset and 2-3 maps for each theater got the new engine that one change does not effect all fms so you can get them correct once. Or adjust specific ac without it changing everything to tweak individual ac correctly.

wheres the janes wwii fighters team or all the cfs and fs9 team that are no longer making flightsim and xplane 8 designer who has the closest to real flight physics maybe then can we get something realistic but the question is would it be worth it becuase flightsims do not make much money compaired to other games. To make alot of money it would have to have land sea and air all in one game something computers cannot handle today with the so much eyecandy to sell games industry. BOA looks great and the first attempt at realism interviews with vets all sourced data shown to the community etc.

I'd be happy to pay for something like that but another addon i dont think so.

Also going from what we have now bob will get boring extremely quick with such a small ammount of ac. And seeing how the spits5 hurricanes vs emils are makes me really wonder how BOB ac will be modeled. Even tho the spitmk1a was in bob performances were slightly greater in the V but handling was pretty close except for the low alt clipped wings versions which increased roll.

It seems everyones disapointed now except for russians and spit pilots and as someone who flies all sides I agree with them all.

knightgames_01
01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
I LOVE THIS GAME. Yes I agree it's a hobby.

I just bought another Gig of RAM....
So lets see:
3.2 Prescott
MSI motherboard
GeForce 6800GT
2 Gigs total Ram
480 Watt power supply

I tell you I bought it all for editing. I really really did. (If I say it enought I'll believe it.)

But DANG IL2 FB EAP PF looks "SA - WEEEEEEET!"

Do you think liquid cooling would be over the top for video editing ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

regards,
Robert

Once you go Track...you never go back.