PDA

View Full Version : Any chance in the future of limiting padlock to 1k?/!=AG choir-boys...

Jumoschwanz
09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Just a thought,how do you think some would it if there was a switch in the il2 series that would disable Track IR on servers who's owners deemed it an unfair advantage? I can hear the screams now. I think track IR is a disadvantage so I could care less really. Just a thought.

In the early days of flying Il2 online over half the full real servers had padlock enabled.
This fell out of favor for a few reasons. The most common argument against enabling padlock was calling it "padlook". When padlocks range was 5 kilometers, it was used by those on servers with ICONS, to pick out enemy targets at great distance before they could be seen onscreen. It is now limited to 3 kilometers, but to really squash qualms it should be limited to 1 kilometer.
On the most intelligently run servers this was not a problem because ICONS WERE NOT ENABLED. This way padlock would lock onto all kinds of things when panned around but you never knew if it was your wingman, a friendly aaa installation or what. You actually had to know where the front line was and be able to ID plane types by sight. This apparently took too many brains for most of the public, as all we have now are a bunch of sissy Icon/no cockpit servers.
If someone is interested in running an intelligent FULL REAL server set it up:

1. full real with no icons. I never saw in history books how aircraft in WWII had big red and blue banners hanging off thier tails denoting their affiliations. Yea, you will shoot teamates and they will shoot you, just like in WWII, guess it is time to learn what the different crafts profiles look like huh panzy? And with no icons you can enable padlock and not worry about it being used to discern enemy from friendly.
2. With front markers. I have seen first hand the maps pilots carried in WWII on missions and yes they were briefed on the location of lines and targets.
3. Put speedbar on. A lot of the allied planes compasses are hard or impossible to read because of the way the craft is rendered in 3d and the view angle. No sense penalizing someone because of something that cannot be helped, and it will eliminate a lot of crying.
4. Make it a "vulching" server. Vulching, an idiot word for an idiots set of ideals. In WWII if you had trouble taking off at an airstrip you moved to another one or used your brain to solve the problem. You didn't start crying like a !=AG choir-boy

These settings will make it possible to use the closest approximation of the strategies and skills actual combat pilots had to employ to be successful. These men of WWII did not fly around looking for planes with big colored ID banners dragging behind them, and were not led around by pretty blue and red arrowheads or radar maps with little red, white and blue planes on them.
These men were however able to move their heads to track objects without pushing buttons on the planes stick or dashboard, or turning thier heads away from the object they wanted to look at(track IR).
To save certain geniuses time, note above I am talking about setting up FULL REAL servers. To set up an arcade server just hit the "easy" button and you are done. I am glad you have found a way to have your fun. If you want to talk about arcade go to an arcade thread ok? S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
09-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Just a thought,how do you think some would it if there was a switch in the il2 series that would disable Track IR on servers who's owners deemed it an unfair advantage? I can hear the screams now. I think track IR is a disadvantage so I could care less really. Just a thought.

In the early days of flying Il2 online over half the full real servers had padlock enabled.
This fell out of favor for a few reasons. The most common argument against enabling padlock was calling it "padlook". When padlocks range was 5 kilometers, it was used by those on servers with ICONS, to pick out enemy targets at great distance before they could be seen onscreen. It is now limited to 3 kilometers, but to really squash qualms it should be limited to 1 kilometer.
On the most intelligently run servers this was not a problem because ICONS WERE NOT ENABLED. This way padlock would lock onto all kinds of things when panned around but you never knew if it was your wingman, a friendly aaa installation or what. You actually had to know where the front line was and be able to ID plane types by sight. This apparently took too many brains for most of the public, as all we have now are a bunch of sissy Icon/no cockpit servers.
If someone is interested in running an intelligent FULL REAL server set it up:

1. full real with no icons. I never saw in history books how aircraft in WWII had big red and blue banners hanging off thier tails denoting their affiliations. Yea, you will shoot teamates and they will shoot you, just like in WWII, guess it is time to learn what the different crafts profiles look like huh panzy? And with no icons you can enable padlock and not worry about it being used to discern enemy from friendly.
2. With front markers. I have seen first hand the maps pilots carried in WWII on missions and yes they were briefed on the location of lines and targets.
3. Put speedbar on. A lot of the allied planes compasses are hard or impossible to read because of the way the craft is rendered in 3d and the view angle. No sense penalizing someone because of something that cannot be helped, and it will eliminate a lot of crying.
4. Make it a "vulching" server. Vulching, an idiot word for an idiots set of ideals. In WWII if you had trouble taking off at an airstrip you moved to another one or used your brain to solve the problem. You didn't start crying like a !=AG choir-boy

These settings will make it possible to use the closest approximation of the strategies and skills actual combat pilots had to employ to be successful. These men of WWII did not fly around looking for planes with big colored ID banners dragging behind them, and were not led around by pretty blue and red arrowheads or radar maps with little red, white and blue planes on them.
These men were however able to move their heads to track objects without pushing buttons on the planes stick or dashboard, or turning thier heads away from the object they wanted to look at(track IR).
To save certain geniuses time, note above I am talking about setting up FULL REAL servers. To set up an arcade server just hit the "easy" button and you are done. I am glad you have found a way to have your fun. If you want to talk about arcade go to an arcade thread ok? S!

Jumoschwanz

lil_labbit
09-30-2004, 07:48 AM
Game settings will allways be a compromise,
as long as we are not flying the realy "real" thing.
With the settings you would like there are also problems...

-1- No Icons - OK - but you can't enforce that people put up the right ID's on their plane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif e.g. You could fly a German plane on the German side, but select USSR as the Country - displaying a beaut of a Red-Star on the plane... The only way around this is to limit plane sets, so the red side couldn't fly the German planes e.g. - Then you could ID by plane type (assuming you know your planes) - this is the way e.g. WarClouds servers are set up...

-2- Here I do agree http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - However, you could make a hardcopy of the maps, laminate them, and draw the front lines in by hand with a non-permanent marker (that way you keep your map off-screen and it won't ever hide incoming planes http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif ).

-3- Why complain about ugly Icons and then put an ugly speed/alt/dir label on-screen http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
It would be better to have udpSpeed or udpGraph enabled online... I would realy like a devicelink on/off option... But you are right in some planes (Yak etc) the compass view is obstructed too much http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif - only thing you can do then is to sharply pull up while reading your heading and hopefully recover before you crash http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Speedbar/udpSpeed/udpGraph are great for AI planes too (if they are enabled). It's still no substitute for a cockpit but I can live with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Finaly I would remark that there are a zillion colours between black and white http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Games are not limited to easy and "full real"

Jumoschwanz
09-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Of course you limit plane sets. And in the brief you tell poeple to mark their planes appropriately. This is all standard practice on really good servers and common sense. If some juvenile wants to have fun mismarking his yak with a black cross then let him do it. It is his reputation. I am sure in WWII their were planes mismarked this way to confuse the enemy anyway so the point is moot.

I make my maps go away by pressing a "magic button" assigned by default as "m" on your keyboard. If you want to get out the arts and crafts though knock yourself out!
If you re-read carfully the point about icons is that it makes it unrealistically easy to ID aircraft. I never used the word "ugly" you are hallucinating, call your doctor now!

Jumoschwanz