PDA

View Full Version : Any way I can hear sinking ships?!

GH_Klingstroem
11-15-2005, 04:02 PM
When a ship is sinking I would like to be able to hear it from inside my submarine. In the movie Das Boot the crew can hear the ships go down from inside their submarine. In the game this is only possible when being in outside mode right next to the ship.
The old game "aces of the deep" had this feature and I liked it. You could torpedo a ship and then dive. and from the depth you could hear the sound of twisting metal as the ship was about to go down.. Are there maybe any mods out there that can fix this thing?!
thx

jcurrens
11-15-2005, 06:17 PM
I believe you can to some exent, if you sit at the hydrophones and listen to the torpedo whir to it's target and hear an explosion, this obvilusly means that the target has hit a ship and exploded.

If by chance, the ship exploded and split in two... leaning inwards as it sinks to the sea bottom, you can sometimes hear the steel banging and/or colliding together on it's way.

A 2nd possibly where u could hear the ship sinking is when the ship actually has an internal explosion underwater, u can hear this quite well and it is very rewarding http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As with a normal sinking, when bouyancy is discrupted and water just overtakes the ship without any explosion. I'm not all that sure whether of not you can hear this.

Then again, life is made somewhat easier because the Sonarman automacically reports if there was a Torpedo Impact and/if the enemy ship was destroyed.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to consult the forums with anything you may need to ask, we are a great bunch of people who will help anyone. Someone else might be able to give a better answer then me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maj_Solo
11-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I really don't know know know, but I think the audio is BUGGY. Sometimes you hear them sink if you listen to the hydrophone, you don't listen for the tapping with hammers an such but after to boom-boom-boom sounds that comes when the ship has sunk quite a bit into the ocean, I guess those boom-boom-boom noices comes from the engine room and probably from the boilers, but it could also be from implosions, I am not sure.

What I am sure of though, is that the sim, ***not too seldome***, fails to load the audio and it is just dead silent, so you can not use the hydropphone to track what is happening to your targets.

Anyways, the audio engine is not top notch, it is pretty weak in many many games besides SHIII.

Kaleun1961
11-15-2005, 07:17 PM
The Improved U-boat mod has some pretty nice ship sinking sounds, similar to those in Das Boot. If you don't want to download the whole mod, check the documentation; it makes mention of the sub-mod that renders the sinking sounds.

Funkasoar
11-16-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Kaleun1961:
The Improved U-boat mod has some pretty nice ship sinking sounds, similar to those in Das Boot. If you don't want to download the whole mod, check the documentation; it makes mention of the sub-mod that renders the sinking sounds.

So IUB has added the sounds of tearing steel when a ship goes down that you can hear while submerged?

GH_Klingstroem
11-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Kaleun1961 have you got a link to that mod?
Also another question, how do I get rid of that orange circle with an arrow that tells me my position when Im submerged. Im still not good enough to get rid of it, but when I am, I would like to know how to do it. Thx for all replies mates!
I just installed SH3 commander and took the visibilty under the surface down to 4 (is that meters??) and it looks just like the real thing!! Just wish I somehow could make the water more greenish looking and not so blue...
anyway thx all!

blackpulpit1970
11-16-2005, 07:11 AM
Klingstroem go to http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/to find the improved u-boat mod and many others there to use. I recomend using the real u-boat mod it is great and has many of the best mods available in one package. Nice to see a face from il-2 in here.

Kaleun1961
11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
The 1-20 numbers in SH3 Commander are a relativity scale, nothing to do with depth in metres. 1 is the darkest, 20 is the clearest.

Chrystine
11-16-2005, 10:54 PM

No Mod is needed to hear a sinking ship, however, as it€s perfectly clear & distinct via hydrophone in the default SH III as well.

I€ve been listening to ships sinking all night while passing through the English Channel just south of Dover, Portsmouth and Portland in a truly fierce storm and extremely high seas (with the High Waves Mod set to 2x-default in SH3C it seems nothing smaller than a C2 can weather these seas, every Small & Coastal Merchant picked up on hydrophone has foundered and sunk, as have two Armed Trawlers).

I€ve been listening to the engines counting RPM€s, have heard the pause when they at-last shut the engines down just prior to sinking, heard the twisting steel and collapsing bulkheads (as they are sinking), and finally heard them strike the ocean floor, have then listened to them rocking back & forth in the currents and heard the boiler room(s) explode, sometimes also setting off secondary and tertiary explosions €" presumably explosive cargo).

All of these sounds are very clear and distinct on the hydrophone, and I€ve listened to all of the above up to a range of 19.7 kilometers.

http://idealhorizons.intuity.net/Storm_of_Cent_1a.jpg

Hi GH_Klingstroem,

€œAlso another question, how do I get rid of that orange circle with an arrow that tells me my position when Im submerged.€

You can Hide/Un-hide the Orange Submersed-Position Marker with the <span class="ev_code_white">Ctrl+Del</span> (NumPad €˜del€) key-combo.
Once to hide, again to un-hide €¦

Best & good hunting €¦

~ C.

Dominicrigg
11-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Yeah i have noticed that you can hear them through the hydrophones, however you should be able to hear them plainly at 2km or less just from standing in the Uboat. This isnt possible, and is pretty poor.

I will try out that mod if i can find it though i bet it adds loads of other things no doubt http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

It would be nice to be able to hear ships sinking and cracking realistically, eg from the inside of the uboat. All the reports I have read from the time show the men within the uboat hearing the ship sink, though at further ranges they often could not hear them.

Basically the sound of the sinkings is just a bit too quiet! lol

Kaleun1961
11-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Let me clarify. I hear them sinking and breaking up from inside the U-boat's hull, not at the hydrophones. I've never even thought of using the hydrophones to listen to torpedoes running or ships sinking.

Chrystine
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM

That is interesting€¦

I€ve never even thought of checking the range at-which one can hear such from within the boat without hydrophones, but as Dom says, it€s not far for sure €" I€m sure he€s right saying too, it€s not 2 kms. (in the default SH III that is).

Is that what the Mod you mention does, Kaleun? Increases the volume and/or range such can be heard?
I mean, aside from apparently also being all new €˜sinking sounds€ €" as you€ve said above, €œ..similar to those in Das Boot€ - ?

That does sound like a Mod worth checking out actually €¦
If anyone might have a pointer to where it could be found independently of IUB that€d be great €¦

Best, and good hunting!

&nd good-mending also, to our dear Kaleun!

~ C.

Bubblehead1948
11-17-2005, 08:12 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Huh!? I hear them thru the hull all the time. The cracking of stressed metal, and occasional underwater explosions go on for quite awhile. No need for the hydrophone. 'Course I use Rub, and a layering of available sound mods, but I've never had trouble hearing this stuff. Its quite a racket most of the time. I'm surprised to hear there are folks who do not.

GH_Klingstroem
11-18-2005, 09:06 AM
thx guys for lots of good answers!!!