PDA

View Full Version : IL2 played with 3D glasses



XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 08:54 AM
I have just purchased a pair from Ebay. Got to to tell you - it is unbelievable! The view from inside the cockpit is truly a thing of wonder - you can really see the detail and craftsmanship that has gone into the build of the models. Only tried it with IL2, not FB yet. Anybody else tried them and if so, whatya think?

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"

John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 08:54 AM
I have just purchased a pair from Ebay. Got to to tell you - it is unbelievable! The view from inside the cockpit is truly a thing of wonder - you can really see the detail and craftsmanship that has gone into the build of the models. Only tried it with IL2, not FB yet. Anybody else tried them and if so, whatya think?

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"

John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Really looking forward to combining FB in perfect mode (sounds EAX plz) + tIR + 3dGlasses with 100hz refreshrate. Then we are flying /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Only thing missing then is g forces and once they make the neuroelectric helmet... /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Luv the game.

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:13 AM
Does FB work OK? Not yet tried it, but didn't see it on the list of "approved" games. They are stunning aren't they? I was skeptical to begin with, but that lasted all of 20 seconds!

Bring on the neural implants! :-)

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:15 AM
I heard them 3D glasses really gives you a headache after a while.

Any truth in that?

http://members.chello.se/ven/milton.jpg

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:18 AM
Do they make the screen 3d, or are these vr glasses that allow you to 'look around'???

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:19 AM
I read that too! However, played for about an hour and no sign of headache at all. Only time will tell - but I think like most things, moderation is the key.

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:21 AM
There are just 3D, not yet full VR. Still quite an experience though nevertheless.

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 09:26 AM
If I got this correct what the 3D glasses does is that your monitor alternates displaying pics for your left and right eye and the glasses are syncronized with that and cover your opposing eye.

In other words when your monitor flashes a "left-eye" pic your glasses will cover your right eye only allowing your left eye to see the pic and viceversa.


Edit: AFAIK 3D glasses don't work with LCD panles...yet.



http://members.chello.se/ven/milton.jpg

Message Edited on 08/15/0310:27AM by Vengeanze

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Vengeanze wrote:
- If I got this correct what the 3D glasses does is
- that your monitor alternates displaying pics for
- your left and right eye and the glasses are
- syncronized with that and cover your opposing eye.
-
- In other words when your monitor flashes a
- "left-eye" pic your glasses will cover your right
- eye only allowing your left eye to see the pic and
- viceversa.
-
-
- Edit: AFAIK 3D glasses don't work with LCD
- panles...yet.
-

And that's why you get headaches, because the refreshrate is split in half, meaning if you're using a normal 85Hz as your refreshrate, the actual refreshrate would be around 43Hz, and that's really small. Even with 100Hz, it would be just 50Hz, so you're going to need a damn fine monitor to use those glasses long periods of time

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 02:07 PM
Set your res to 800x600 and most monitors will handle 100hz. When this is split as you say by the shutter reflex of the LCD glasses you are seeing your 3D in 50hz.
As most Europeans and UK residents watch television at 50hz (50hz PAL) it really is no more strain on your eyes than watching television.

The 3D effect is truly stunning, particularly in racing games when you get to 'see' how far the cars are in front of you.

However, I have not as yet got these glasses (ELSA) to work with FB. They worked for IL2 but not FB.

I got all excited when I noticed that the latest stereo drivers from Nvidia are the same realease version number as their latest general video driver 45.03.

No such luck with it working with FB though. Activate Stereo and all you get is the screen slightly offset and if you go to an external the prop is now detatched from the plane about 10 feet away from it!?!?

I hope they address this VERY soon. FB would be something else with 3D depth...

If anybody has got ELSA glasses to work with FB I'd love to know how.

Perhaps some custom video settings may enable it????

wT- wrote:
-
- And that's why you get headaches, because the
- refreshrate is split in half, meaning if you're
- using a normal 85Hz as your refreshrate, the actual
- refreshrate would be around 43Hz, and that's really
- small. Even with 100Hz, it would be just 50Hz, so
- you're going to need a damn fine monitor to use
- those glasses long periods of time
-
-





Message Edited on 08/15/0302:15PM by Scragbat

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 02:28 PM
Scragbat wrote:
-
- As most Europeans and UK residents watch television
- at 50hz (50hz PAL) it really is no more strain on
- your eyes than watching television.
-

I never realised the refresh rate on TV was 50hz and I am suprised by this only because whenever I ever played a game at 60mz I nearly always developed eye-strain of varying severity.

I wont go below 100mz now just to stay comfortable and to be on the safe side.

<center>http://www.km011a0004.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poser3.jpg <CENTER>
<center><b/><table style="filter:glow[color=#FF0000,strength=4)"><TD><font color="#1A0000"face="americanabt">A society flexible enough to stand for everything really stands for nothing<font></table></center>

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 02:29 PM
I have a cheap alternative to the expensive hi-tech 3D glasses.Try the cheapo ones u get free with magazines or at the movies,you know,the cardboard specs type.I was curious (and a bit drunk) one night and decided to experiment and they worked! There was a definite 3d effect! But it did give me a headache......or could it have been the booze? :k

Bo_Nidle


Get my skins at: www.mudmovers.com (http://www.mudmovers.com) and www.il2skins.com (http://www.il2skins.com) the full screenshots are available at www.tangodown.co.uk (http://www.tangodown.co.uk)

http://www.orangeneko.com/rik/thumbs/flashbn.jpg

"You've got to treat your kite like you treat your woman! Get inside her 10 times a day and take her to heaven and back!"Lord Flashheart RFC 1917.

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:26 PM
My beer bill is usually more than the glasses cost.:-)

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Television standard in

Europe/UK = 50hz PAL
USA/Canada = 60hz NTSC

Of course these days you can spend more money and get 100+hz TV's, but the common standard is as above...

I would say eye strain would come into play because you sit much closer to your monitor than you do your TV.
Sit as close to your TV as you do your monitor and I'll bet you get eyestrain.

There must be a realtionship between refresh rates and distance to your screen/monitor when developing eyestrain...

SmokeJaguar wrote:
-
- I never realised the refresh rate on TV was 50hz and
- I am suprised by this only because whenever I ever
- played a game at 60mz I nearly always developed
- eye-strain of varying severity.
-
- I wont go below 100mz now just to stay comfortable
- and to be on the safe side.
-

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 04:51 PM
I tried playing FB with 3d glasses 2 months back.

Yeah, I got to agree, you have to try to see it for yourself.

The view is magnificent. And it is great playing with those glasses on.

<center>

http://www.geocities.com/warhawk530/AVG.jpg


'It is the Courage, not the score, that counts ...' - Mohd Naqiuddin

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Could I ask what glasses and what config?


warhawk_530 wrote:
- I tried playing FB with 3d glasses 2 months back.
-
- Yeah, I got to agree, you have to try to see it for
- yourself.
-
- The view is magnificent. And it is great playing
- with those glasses on.
-
- <center>
-
http://www.geocities.com/warhawk530/AVG.jpg
-
-
- 'It is the Courage, not the score, that counts ...'
- - Mohd Naqiuddin
-

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:04 PM
I bought them and I don't care for them, probably becasue I wear bi-focals, if anyone wants to buy them from me. $50. 1yr old and hardly used. you can email me at Jeff.Massara@apachecorp.com

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:08 PM
Once again, 3-D mocks me!

See, I have a muscular imbalance (or something like that) in my eyes, so I can only see well out of one eye at a time. The other one just sort of wanders off to the side and I get nothing but peripheral vision out of it. Granted, I can choose which eye I focus out of, but I can only do one at a time, nonetheless--except about once a year around the vernal equinox, for some reason; then my eyes go straight for about three hours.

I remember going to the 3-D "Nightmare on Elm Street" movie when I was a wee one. While everyone else jumped in their seats and ducked and whatnot during the 3-D scenes, I just sat there feeling jipped and dizzy. I really can't use any machines that require both eyes--made it an absolute trial to get my driver's license, despite the fact that I still have pretty good depth perception.

So you go to hell, 3-d. Thou mockest me with your "Two Functional Eyes" requirement.

Sorry to rant, but you see my predicament.

Wiffle

Yes, and here's to the few
who forgive what you do
and the fewer who don't even care

--Leonard Cohen

XyZspineZyX
08-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Very sorry to hear that...
Actually 3D is cr*p, overated, a gimmick, you're not missing anything! (That's just to make you feel better)...

...and back to the debate...

I managed just this moment to get the ELSA glasses working.!
Here's how -
They only work in OpenGL with Stencil Buffer off and that's it!
I say working...well, almost...

The landscape looks beautiful in 3D, very nice depth perception but....

Objects are screwed...
If I go to an external and look at the aircraft, it looks odd, certainly not 3D, and the reason why...
Close your right eye and there is the aircraft, close your left eye and it's GONE!
For objects (not the landscape) the flipped right image is missing. This includes runways, all other aircraft, ground artillery and ships. Everything else is in perfect 3D including tracers and gunfire, just not the bits that count, primarily aircraft...

Bugger!

Anybody have a fix please?????????


PS Moderators, I know this is ever so slightly going off topic and I should be saying this in tech support, but Blueboy777uk has yet to try his glasses in FB and I would like to hear if he gets his working OK.

PPS Just posted similar thread in TS, hope you don't mind...

WifflePlane wrote:
- Once again, 3-D mocks me!
-
- See, I have a muscular imbalance (or something like
- that) in my eyes, so I can only see well out of one
- eye at a time. The other one just sort of wanders
- off to the side and I get nothing but peripheral
- vision out of it.

Message Edited on 08/15/0305:51PM by Scragbat

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi Scragbat - thanks for the info. Will be trying later! :-)

ßlueßoy

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"
John Gillespie Magee, Jr. (1922-1941)

PS: Apologies if this thread was in the wrong forum.