PDA

View Full Version : Not much stealth anymore? I blame the storyline.

AubreyWilborn
11-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Now, we can all agree that the AC games are some of the most storyline-centric games out there. Therefore, the storyline affects the gameplay, and the themes of the game more than in other games. The reason that stealth is (probably) gone from from the AC series forever, is that is no longer conducive to the plot.

In AC1, Altair is part of an obscure, reclusive group of trained killers: the hashshashin, or the "assasins". These folks creep out from their fortress Masyaf, assasinate people, then retreat back to Masyaf. And of course, they have bureaus in every major city in the Middle East. But that's it. That's all they do.

By AC2, the Assasins have evolved from a stealthy group of killers, to a secret society that battles ANOTHER secret society-the Templars. They are no longer a subtle group of trained killers, they're like the justice league. They fight against the Templars' bid for world domination. They don't ever "assasinate" people anymore.

Now all of that being said, I enjoy the different gameplay themes present in AC1 and AC2. I enjoy the stealthy killer aspect of playing as Altair. And I enjoy the vigilante, they-wronged-me-so-I-must-kill-them approach with Ezio. But anyway, what do y'all think?

Radman500
11-25-2010, 05:46 PM
the assassins and templars have been fighting a secret war since the dawn of humanity... way before the events of ac1... the assassins in masyaf might of not known about the whole "secret war" or even know how big the order really is

and what do you mean we dont assassinate people anymore.. what the hell did we do in ac2, with all those templars... ??

i dont get your logic

obliviondoll
11-25-2010, 05:52 PM
I enjoy the contrast of Altair being all about the brotherhood while Ezio's motives are always personal as well.

"They killed MY family"
"He killed MY Uncle"

He's not involved because he's part of the order, he's part of the order because they're working toward the same goal.

Why'd they put him in charge, again?

AdzMofo
11-25-2010, 07:55 PM
There were plenty of stealth aspects...half of the missions required you to remain undetected...

And we can't really say what will or won't be in future AC games. The next game is likely to not follow Ezio, so how this new group of assassins operates may surprise you :\

Nick1021
11-25-2010, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
I enjoy the contrast of Altair being all about the brotherhood while Ezio's motives are always personal as well.

"They killed MY family"
"He killed MY Uncle"

He's not involved because he's part of the order, he's part of the order because they're working toward the same goal.

Why'd they put him in charge, again?
He became an assassin because that's what his dad wanted him to be...and he was pretty ****ed.

And he killed Cesare not because of his uncle but to help Rome.

Jack-Reacher
11-25-2010, 07:59 PM
You have only yourself to blame

SolidSnakeMat
11-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:

Agreed I played the game very successfully stealthy. So OP is just a fail.

AubreyWilborn
11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SolidSnakeMat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:

Agreed I played the game very successfully stealthy. So OP is just a fail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, hey, let's not get into calling each other names. I'm not a "fail". I played AC2 pretty stealthily, as well.

However, AC2 contained alot of SCRIPTED SEQUENCES which were NOT ABOUT STEALTH AT ALL. I loved those sequences, ok, but I was just commenting that they were there. Got it?

AubreyWilborn
11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Radman500:
the assassins and templars have been fighting a secret war since the dawn of humanity... way before the events of ac1... the assassins in masyaf might of not known about the whole "secret war" or even know how big the order really is

and what do you mean we dont assassinate people anymore.. what the hell did we do in ac2, with all those templars... ??

i dont get your logic

Yeah-the part about the "secret war" going on between Templars and Assasins always felt a little tacked on to me, and it takes two real, historical groups and puts them into sci-fi land Oh well.

What I meant is that the storyline of AC2 seems to place LESS emphasis on stealthily assasinating your targets. Again, not that that's a bad thing.