PDA

View Full Version : Books on the german pilots?

ROTS_Jason
06-25-2005, 02:32 PM
Hey can you guys tell me of any good books on some german aces in ww2? (In english otherwise I won't understand a thing!)

Thank ya!

Hoarmurath
06-25-2005, 02:43 PM
the first and the last by adolf galland

JG27_Stacko
06-25-2005, 02:44 PM
On or By german aces? These are the books that I have mostly sourced from countless hours in second hand book shops. Many were printed in the 1950's so good luck finding them. Some have been reprinted more recently, I am told.

The First and the Last by Adolf Galland

Messerchmitts Over Sicily by Johannes Steinhoff

The Last Chance: The pilots plot against Goering by Johannes Steinhoff

Stuka Pilot by Hans Ulrich Rudel (though I am told its by a 3rd party biographer)

Heaven Next Stop by Gunther Bloemertz

Duel Under the Stars by Wilhelm Johnen

I Flew for the Fuhrer by Heinz Knoke

The War Diary of Helmut Lipfert by/with Werner Girbig

I have a couple of others around too. When i can be bothered to find them I'll post details here.

Hristo and Schlumberger are big fans of "GreenHearts: First in combat with the Dora-9". But I am yet to find this book in Australia.

JG27_Stacko
06-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Luftwaffe Fighter Aces: The Jadgflier and their tactics by Mike Spick

If you fly Blue then this book is compulsory reading. If you have to order it, so be it, it'll be worth every penny.

Low_Flyer_MkII
06-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Messerschmitt Aces by Walter A. Musciano
ISBN 0-668-04887-5
Arco publishing, inc N.Y.

A very nicely illustrated book that should serve as a good introduction to the subject.
Mentions the Finns and Hungarians too.

A google search for ospreypublishing should lead you their aircraft of the aces series - again very well illustrated and easy to get into.

F19Gladiator
06-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Luftwaffe Fighter Ace. From the Eastern front to the defence of the homeland.By Norbert Hannig, published in 2004, by Grub Street.

Spitfire On My Tail, by U.Steinhilpher/P.Osborne
published by Independent Books. UK, in 1990.

G√ľnter Rall a Memoir. Luftwaffe Ace & NATO General, published in 2003 by Tangmere Productions, Santa Ana, CA

Betrayed Ideals: Memoirs of a Luftwaffe Fighter Ace. Hans-Ekkehard Bob (JG54),Cerberus Publishing Ltd, 2004

Why not also try a memoir by one of the Finnish fighter experts, flying Bf 109 G among other ac?
Double Fighter Knight,Ilmari Juutilainen ,1996, Apali OY, Finland.

BR from F19 Gladiator http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif