PDA

View Full Version : A question on sinking

Flanker15
12-28-2004, 05:21 AM
In SH3 i've read about all this compartment moddeling and flooding stuff on other posts.
My question is will a boat in SH3 sink via the law of bouyancy. In that as long as an object displaces a greater weight of water than the object itself weighs it will still float.
Or will it just be: Boat takes certain amout of damage = boat sinks (with fancy compartment flooding gizmo).

Flanker15
12-28-2004, 05:21 AM
In SH3 i've read about all this compartment moddeling and flooding stuff on other posts.
My question is will a boat in SH3 sink via the law of bouyancy. In that as long as an object displaces a greater weight of water than the object itself weighs it will still float.
Or will it just be: Boat takes certain amout of damage = boat sinks (with fancy compartment flooding gizmo).

Drebbel
12-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Cargo buoyancy will not be simulated. Atleast that is what I was told during the Leipzig Game Show.

U-551 Kapitan
12-28-2004, 01:49 PM
That would have been neat. If you're boat is taking too much damge, your buoyancy takes you up to the surface, a one way trip, where you hastily order abandon ship and jump into a lifeboat, before the ship sinks back down. Too bad it ain't included, looks like a lot of sailors ain't going to be coming back from Feb onwards.

Dominicrigg
12-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Im confused. Surely a boat would never come to the surface because of too much damage and then sink. It would just sink, why would it get more bouyant from taking damage and water coming in?

The only time it would surface was if the crew blew the tanks or tried to surface no??

U-551 Kapitan
12-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Maybe the ballast tanks got damaged, and they blew prematurely. Then the boat would be on a one way trip to the surface, unless they could fix the damage in time. I dunno, I really can't admit to being much of an expert on U-boat damage, so I'm just thinking out loud.

Dominicrigg
12-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Hahaha me neither, im guessing if they blew the air would come out of them though, so the ship would sink. I think the air to rise is kept in ship compressed, and pushed into the tanks to force the water out. Maybe some expert here will help us out! :P

SailorSteve
12-28-2004, 04:57 PM
I don't know the answer to that one, but I have heard stories of depth-charges rupturing lines and forcing subs to surface, also of pressure from the charges forcing the boat up or down by several meters. Just stories, though, so I really can't say for sure.

Flanker15
12-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Gahhh!!! I'm not talking about the u-boat im talking about the ships your attacking. Thanks for all the stuff on the u boats though.

I was also wondering if the ships you damage but not sink, if they have flooding would we see them sitting deeper in the water or listing a bit to one side?

BobTuck
12-28-2004, 06:22 PM
I definitely remember seeing a ship listing from damage it had recieved (but it was still chugging along afloat)

Location and severity of damage are both part of the damage modelling and will influence the behaviour/sinking of a ship.

BobTuck.