PDA

View Full Version : How to Dock

CharlieTuna2005
04-29-2005, 10:10 AM
After making my maiden voyage and returning to base. I entered the pen were I started and then bang i hit the end wall a couple of times, then the career menu came up, end of patrol. No problem.
However I have not been able to duplicate this. I end up sinking, I must be missing something (searched the forums, no topics). Anyway the only way I know how to end a patrol is to use the escape key. Cant be. How do you dock at another port? Any help would be apprieciated.

U-49
04-29-2005, 10:14 AM
You need not do this manually. Once you're close to the port or dock, if you press ESC, you'll be given an option to dock at portX.

Shark....
04-29-2005, 10:39 AM
You don't even need to waste the time to sail back to dock after you run out of ammo just hit escape and hit return to base. Or if you want to sail in close to the base you can hit esc and if your close enough to the base it will give you the option to dock at the named base.

I find it a pain in the bu++ to sail all the way back to the home base you risk being sunk by planes and destroyers. hitting esc and return to base gets you back safe everytime. Plus the map sucks regarding detailing land masses close to the base. When you put in your waypoints in the water but close to land you can easily run a ground in time compression because the map is not very accurate regarding where the land is located. This may be purposely done b/c detailed satelite mapping and gps was not available in WWII. But it might just be an oversight by the programmers.

Remember you must be surfaced to be allowed to hit escape and return to base.

U-49
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Shark....:
You don't even need to waste the time to sail back to dock after you run out of ammo just hit escape and hit return to base...I find it a pain in the bu++ to sail all the way back to the home base you risk being sunk by planes and destroyers. Some people don't consider it a waste of time. They enjoy keeping an already immersive experience a little more realistic. Again, not all do - and hence the devs have incorporated the wonderfully magical double your sub's fuel capacity and range feature, and warp safely back to port in Sci-Fi style a la Star Trek.

Keeps both camps happy.

Personally, I sail back. But I'm funny that way.

Frederf221
04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
And you get an extra 100 renoun! WOoooo.

Shultzz005
04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
When you get within a certain distance (?) of a port the option that says Return to Base is changed to Dock at (Name of Base). I think that is where the renown hit goes away. I personally like to make it back into sight of the dock just because of the playability factor. I don't play at 100% realism but I don't want to run my sub empty and then just click a button to get out of a jam.
I also think a 100 hit on renown is WAY to low. Maybe 25% of the renown earned during the patrol and 50% of renown points if you would have run out of fuel before reaching the base. Just imagine the WWII sub skipper in the pub after being towed into port by a tug having to face his peers. Not to mention the negative effect on the moral of his crew. In certain parts of the ocean you'd have 100% chance of being killed or captured by the enemy.
There's not anything wrong with playing the game either way though. Whatever you have fun doing.

http://img113.echo.cx/img113/7251/shultzz005100k0nn.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

"What do you mean the head is broken?"

Konig_der_nicht
04-29-2005, 12:38 PM
I usually return all the way to base. But when I start a mission, I usually place a mark on my nav chart right outside the entrance of the sub pens so I know where to stop my course plot on the way back.

CharlieTuna2005
04-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the help, so fast. Never tried to use escape other than at my own base, thought it would end the patrol prematurely. Should of asked for help sooner.

By the way great forum lots of info here http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

U-Bob
04-29-2005, 03:04 PM
I always return to base and getting there could be hairy according to the period of the war. To me, it's part of the fun.

You know what would be nice for those players who do return all the way back to base, and I'm not sure how UBI would do this, is to have tonnage penants appear on your boat as you enter your base. Just raise the periscope as you enter and the penants appear tied to the scope on one end and tied somewhere to the stern on the other. Just another incentive to return to base.

Los!

U-49
04-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by U-Bob:
Just another incentive to return to base. The challenge is incentive enough for me, but I really like your idea!

Shultzz005
04-29-2005, 04:35 PM
I remeber as a kid I had a book that had the exploits of various German U-Boat captains in WWII. I read one excerpt where the sub came into port with a broom lashed to its raised periscope to signify a clean sweep of a convoy. This was a rare and prestigious event and this reflected on the captain and crew.
I also remember them hanging pennants to signify ships sunk. I don't remember if it was tonnage or just per ship. These are the kinds of things that would add greatly to the "feel" of the game and reward excetional patrols beyond the norm.

airports
04-29-2005, 05:58 PM
I hate to say this UBI, but Aces of the Deep did the penants on return. Too bad UBI could not have done so also.

Frederf221
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Two "frou frou" wishes:

1. Ability to hang the german flag off the stern mast at will.

2. Have everyone in their tidyest uniform stand on deck. Like Watch crew on deck, man deckgun, man flak gun, man deck/flack, Parade crew on deck.

MajorTOM_Wlfpk1
04-30-2005, 01:10 AM
ok if you need renown you can do this ..

open main game foldier-sh3-then data-then config

open the cfg filr called basic

now change this lines
found under [Renown]
RenownReachGridObjCompleted=(to 1500 or more)
RenownPatrolGridObjCompleted=(to 1200 0r more)
CompletedPatrol=(to 1000 or more)

now for those that did the exm.
change this line

found under [player_renown]
AcademyBonus=(to what ever you want)

all can be set to the number of your likeing
when done hit exit and save changes..have fun with you newly found welth

Wizage
04-30-2005, 01:27 AM
You do not need to return to the BASE to get the extra renown. All you need to do is to return to the SECTOR your base resides in, and hit ESC, and the dock to (base name) option will become available.