PDA

View Full Version : How to use new fighters

rmorgansmith
02-16-2006, 03:58 PM
How do you access the new 4.03 aircraft? Available online only? Do we need to wait for community to make new missions?

Just use mission builder? Have not used it before,probably should learn. Feedback much appreciated.

georgeo76
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
yea, they will release a new Dgen soon to incorporate them into offline campaigns, and user-made missions are available. Ask around in mission builders forum.

Oz_Canuck
02-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Quick Mission Builder...pick 'em, fly 'em, crash 'em....or FMB if you have more time.
Try Tempest vs. JU-88....budda budda budda, blam blam blam...bailout....Ouch, I hurt my Ankle, better go to the pub. Fun.

mortoma
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I fly them in campaigns right now!! Only trouble is, it's a big pain to do so and if you aren't good at using FMB, then it would be very hard. If I want to fly the Do-335 in a career, all I do is go to the pilot career section, start a career in some other plane, like a 109K4, then go into FMB and change my entire flight to the Do-335!! I have to do it before every mission or or course I'd be flying the 109K4. You can do the same thing if you know how to text edit the mission files, but you have to exit out of the game to do that. But if you don't know how to do either, you will have to wait until the new Dgen because I don't feel like explaining how to do all of that right now. Would take a lot of typing.

rmorgansmith
02-16-2006, 07:18 PM
thanks all for the replies, I just fooled around with quick mission builder for the first time, got to try the clipped wing spitfire, what a beast, nice low altitude fighter! Did not see the Tempest in the list of planes. Only have PF loaded, lost one of the Forgotten Battle Discs and got new hardrive. Do you have to have the FB/AEP/PF merged to get the Tempest since it was not used in the Pacific,was it?

Oz_Canuck
02-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Bummer...I think you only get the Mosquito for PF standalone plus a couple new AI planes (See PF site)....You'll need full install to get tasty Tempest, Do335 and Macchis.

Oz_Canuck
02-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Oh, you'll get the J2M3 as well in PF standalone.
I believe it's a type of flying tempura bar.....

rmorgansmith
02-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I think the Do335 was there! I will go back and check. Oz_Cancuk, what do you like to fly? I am working on finishing up long US Pacific campaign, started with P-40E, got tons of kills, now on to P-51D over Japan. I finally figured out where the fuel gauges are, on the floor on both sides of your seat and behind your left shoulder! She sure goes a long way with two drop tanks and a full load of fuel, almost think it would be better to go with 50% fuel and drop tanks for better performance.

rmorgansmith
02-16-2006, 09:03 PM
The Do335 was there in the QMB but you can't load it, get an error message, I read something about that as I was surfing along the forum.

Oz_Canuck
02-16-2006, 09:15 PM
I started with the PF standalone and as a new Australian resident, got interseted in New Guinea. So I flew mostly the P-40 and Buffalo and later the P-51 a little. Lately, with Full Install, I have just been trying all sorts of planes to get a feel...currently playing IL-2 leningrad campaign, "Cactus" campaign , (a nice download of F4F's on Guadalcanal) and Finnish Buffalo campaign. I have been enjoying the P-47 and Spitfire, too. So many planes, so little time...I fly a bit online as well, where I get to practise taking off and then getting nailed by a Spitfire...sometime I just go for a tour at about 5000m and avoid the fracas...with occasional dives down to have ago on some straggler or shoot some AA.

Oz_Canuck
02-16-2006, 09:20 PM
You are right about the DO-335..it shows up, but is not actually usable in standalone

Akwar
02-17-2006, 01:02 AM
Ive been flying campaigns in the new planes with Lowengrins DCG update but he took it down I see a week ago I guess to fix.

rmorgansmith
02-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Akwar, what is DCG, I thought I read on some forum some negative comments on it.

mortoma
02-17-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm one of the people who posted negative comments on DCG. But that should not stop you from at least trying it. I gave it a go at least 6 times through the years it's been available for IL2/FB/PF. Some people use it sucessfully and end up liking it. Some don't. I just never thought it was user-friendly enough and was confusing to use, especially if I attempted to fly more than one campaign in it. The switching back and forth, if you don't do it right, can cause you to lose all your campaigns. The slightest thing you do wrong and it's all over with DCG. You have to be sure about what you click on and be careful. I find Dgen a lot easier to run dozens of campaigns in simultaneously, using different pilot's names.
Don't have to worry about accidentally clicking on the wrong thing with Dgen nearly as much.

SeaFireLIV
02-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I guess that`s where Mortoma`sgoing wrong. I only ever fly one campaign at a time. Flying loads of Campaigns at once I find off-putting and reduces my focus on the main goal ie, who am I fighting now? Russians? Germans? Japanese?

Nah, can`t fly like that.

DCG is very good and easy to implement as long as you follow the straight forward directions, rmorgansmith . Just cos you hear a couple of negative comments doesn`t mean the product is bad. They`ve been many positive comments praising DCG highly, but I guess it`s easier seeing the negative than positive.

The trick is to have patience, as the rewards are great. DGEN is good too, and if you can wait long enough, hold on for it, but I`m still waiting for the Riga, etc add-on that Ian Boys said was to be released soon and DCg is allowing me to fly those maps in a fighting Campaign, (not just QMB or FMB) in the meantime.

MystiqBlackCat
02-17-2006, 09:32 AM
If you want to acess the new planes with the regular IL-2 mission generator you go into the DCG folder and look for the planes.dat files. The will have names like IN_planes.dat, which is a Japanese Imperial Navy planeset. Open the .dat folders with notepad and use skin folder names to add a plane.

For instance.

To add a Do335 to a '45 campaign I would open up my paint schemes>skins folder and find the folder name for the Do335. Then I would go into the DCG folder and scroll over and find the de_plane.dat folder. Make a copy of the file and place it somewhere else for a back up. I open these one at a time until I find the folder for Bf-110 campaign. Then I add the Do335's I.D. to the latest available campaign.

Its prettty easy once you do it a couple times. My directions would be more specific but I'm at work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

DONT try this if you arent comfortable with messing with your comp's file system.

rmorgansmith
02-17-2006, 08:58 PM
MystiqBlackCat and Seafire, really appreciate the time you took on your replies. I can figure out just about anything given enough time but not a real computer nerd just a wannabe. I thought DCG was some kind of add on program, not native to basic program like DGEN, what is it? confused. While we are on the subject of campaigns, I never really feel like the campaings are that dynamic, I mean giving the feel that sucess in one mission carries over to the next. I just finished a New Guinea campaign and hacked down Betties and Zekes and Oscars and
they always came back in undiminished numbers.

Oz_Canuck
02-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Try this:
Link to DCG-
http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php
Looks interesting...haven't had time to try it.

rmorgansmith
02-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Oz and friends, as soon as I have time I will download the DCG, short for Dynamic Campaign Generator and let you know what I think. I have to share this with you, tried the Beaufighter in QCG and what a Betty killer. I have a Hurricane Singapore campaign going and have yet to bring down a Betty with those 12 .303's and slow speed of Hurricane. It felt good to get a little revenge, it is really funny to arm the flight up with 8 HE rockets and watch the Bettys burn.

Trent001
03-06-2006, 08:32 AM
I personally felt the same as mortoma initially with DCG. It did stuff me around and cause me a bit of grief. But after a break I tried it again and the current version along with some of the excellent documentation is really worth the effort in my opinion. If you invest a little bit of time you can really get a lot out of DCG. It allows great customisation of campaigns that really do feel a lot more dynamic then the stock DGEN. Plus Lowengrin should really be commended for the effort and time he puts in to it, he supports it really well.

I'd recommend it to anyone, especially if you are interested in flying for some of the "supporting" airforces i.e. RAAF, RNZAF Dutch etc. I've got several campaigns on the roll with these guys and with DCG they're a real blast... :-)