PDA

View Full Version : 109 help

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 05:42 AM
S!
A rather new pilot here to FB and a avid 109 lover, but i need help in flying the 109. Can anyone give me advice on how to get the most out of this machine? Like do i need to set trim, if so is it elevaor or aerlion or what. In the later models should i do auto prop management or should i do it manually? What about tactics and help for B and Z tactics? I know the F series is pretty good at turning but i would prefer to learn howe to perform this rather hard skill since it was the most succesful for the real 109 pilots and i realize that later on the russian planes can out perform the 109 in most areas. I know this is a lot to ask but any thoughts or word of tactics or sites you know of that can help i would be most grateful. Thank you allfor taking the time to read this and answer it.

Watsup

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 05:42 AM
S!
A rather new pilot here to FB and a avid 109 lover, but i need help in flying the 109. Can anyone give me advice on how to get the most out of this machine? Like do i need to set trim, if so is it elevaor or aerlion or what. In the later models should i do auto prop management or should i do it manually? What about tactics and help for B and Z tactics? I know the F series is pretty good at turning but i would prefer to learn howe to perform this rather hard skill since it was the most succesful for the real 109 pilots and i realize that later on the russian planes can out perform the 109 in most areas. I know this is a lot to ask but any thoughts or word of tactics or sites you know of that can help i would be most grateful. Thank you allfor taking the time to read this and answer it.

Watsup

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 06:23 AM
As for general tactics, there is far too much to answer here in an online forum

more specifically ..

- do i need to set trim, if so is it
- elevaor or aerlion or what.

use elevator trim to keep the plane level without excess stick pressure, this helps a lot with gunnery ...

the other trim you are likely to wish for in a 109 is rudder BUT there is no rudder trim in the 109 (never was), so just apply right rudder pressure when at high speed to centre the ball, especailly when shooting ... or your shots will throw wildly to the left (heaps in IL2, less so in FB) this is a historic problem with 109's not a bug

- should i do auto prop management or should i do it
- manually?

personal choice, i prefer to use it (its not available in the emil though) bear in mind it is not a CSU

- What about tactics and help for B and Z
- tactics? I know the F series is pretty good at
- turning but i would prefer to learn howe to perform
- this rather hard skill since it was the most
- succesful for the real 109 pilots and i realize that
- later on the russian planes can out perform the 109
- in most areas. I know this is a lot to ask but any
- thoughts or word of tactics or sites you know of
- that can help i would be most grateful. Thank you
- allfor taking the time to read this and answer it.
-

A web search for tactics will get you more information .. the most popular B&Z 109's depending on period are the G2 the G6as and the K. my persoanl preference, even in FB, is still teh g6as with default loadout (no MK108)

Message Edited on 06/16/0305:34AM by WTE_Galway

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 06:29 AM
Whenever the bandit turns, climb. Watch him as you climb, then wingover in the direction he turned to and dive on with your guns blazing! Repeat until the bandit is no longer flying/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

--lbhkilla--

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/FW190.jpg .

"Ich bin ein Wuergerwhiner"

"We could do with some of those razor blades, Herr Reichsmarshall."
When Erwin Rommel that British fighter-bombers had shot up my tanks with 40mm shells, the Hermann G├┬Âring who felt himself touched by this, said: "That's completely impossible. The Americans only know how to make razor blades." and the above was Rommels reply.

XyZspineZyX
06-16-2003, 07:24 AM
Good throttle management is a must, reduce it when you really crank on the pitch in nose down attitudes. You should be able to roll upside down, and pull, recovering wings level just above the ground in 400 meters altitude from 400Kph. You'll never do this with power on, ever. Same applies to steep nose up, chop the power to let it drop back to horizon fast. No sense in wasting power just hanging there as a target. So learn the effects of power on manouver.

You need a high quality rudder control, any cheap pots or spiking and forget about gunnery accuracy, especially in 109's. Learn to use it as a direction change device and high speed roll aid.

Get used to manual prop control and use it in combat, than it's no longer true that late VVS have any advantage. The 6AS through K will out power anything else in a verticle turning fight. Knowing that always fight a maximum altitude gaining fight, the more altitude you gain during the angles fight, the greater your overall advantage is. Fight upwards to win, down to lose.

Learn how to turn in the verticle, don't follow the high G flat turns these VVS guys are doing. It's really their last resort. When they do a max pull, bank in the same direction but go up over the top, aileron and rudder for your direction changes, never elevator. The perfect verticle turn looks almost square when you have your smoke on, goes steep up, than snaps 90 to the direction your going to re-park back on his tail. Side benifit, you banked your energy in an altitude gain, he blew his all up in a turn, 'than' turn fight him and shoot.

Up, roll, down and around, up, roll, down and around. Wins the fights in 109's. Getting good at snap shooting won't hurt, it's most suited for this type of fight. Crossing shots from off angles kill quicker, but takes loads of practice to get the trigger timing down right. Your good when you can catch them comming up through the gun sight from below, and knowing when to pull the burst without a visual. Not easy, but can be done.

XyZspineZyX
06-17-2003, 09:49 AM
If you have the time - join a squad, best way to learn in a team environment /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

BTW K-4 has rudder trim /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

JG5_UnKle

"Know and use all the capabilities of your airplane. If you don't sooner or later, somebody who does, will kick your ***"

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/victoria.stevens/jg5_logo.jpg