PDA

View Full Version : Get a B-25 off a carrier

mcg_mike
07-11-2005, 05:42 AM
Has anyone got the B-25 off the deck of a carrier in PF. I cannot figure out what to do to keep myself out of the drink. I'm getting sick of taking to the life raft and the crunched by the carrier.
Any helpful hints? ( besides learning to fly )

new-fherathras
07-11-2005, 06:10 AM
25% fuel
landing flaps
full trottle
fly

that works for me on both static and moving carriers

good luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

mcg_mike
07-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Just one more question. Will the type of weather conditions help/hinder or have no affect on the take off.
I did have take off flaps down, flat knacker on the throttle, but 100% fuel and no bomb load.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that and update my swimming lessons.

Fighterduck
07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
3 1600lb bomb
50% fuel
full trottle
flaps

30km/h moving carrier....

it work..but not at the first try

Ritter_Cuda
07-11-2005, 08:47 AM
is the carrier static or moveing? If moveing then you should be able to do it with a full load if staitic then you will have to cut the fuel. I can take off the p38 full load 100% fuel off a moveing carrier and full load 75% fuel off the static carrier. the trick is not to pull up try to fly with a level stick and let the plane rise on it's own. it will drop but keep the nose level or with a slight rise and let her fly you will get more speed off the deck.
Cuda

sammy4657
07-11-2005, 09:50 AM
I've done it with bombs! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif Can't remember the loadout but i think it was the lightest.

Tooz_69GIAP
07-11-2005, 09:58 AM
my squad have done a recreation of the Doolittle raid.

During testing with 4.01m we decided to do it again.

We found that 50% fuel, and 6x500lbers, using full flaps (and I usually put rad full open), then 110% throttle, and you can get off a moving deck.

I think we used the Saratoga for the mission. We had 4 B-25s on deck, and they all made it off.

mcg_mike
07-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks again fellas, I'm getting there. I've only swallowed half the ocean now. I'm only a novice at this and have the coordination of a gorilla with a cold.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif

STENKA_69.GIAP
07-11-2005, 04:27 PM
The Main thing to remember is do not yank stick back at end of carrier. let it settle down below deck level and gain speed (gear up)

mcg_mike
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:
The Main thing to remember is do not yank stick back at end of carrier. let it settle down below deck level and gain speed (gear up)
Good tip thanks. I been pullin' back on the yoke and dropping like a stone before I get the gear fully retracted.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

stansdds
07-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Seems to me the operating manual of the B-25 recommends gaining speed and altitude before retracting the gear as retracting the gear causes the B-25 to lose a little altitude.

STENKA_69.GIAP
07-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by stansdds:
Seems to me the operating manual of the B-25 recommends gaining speed and altitude before retracting the gear as retracting the gear causes the B-25 to lose a little altitude.

Hmm - fascinating those old manuals - stan - any ideas on why it would lose hight when winding up the wheels? perhaps it saps engine power?

Normaly it's not a good idea to pull up gear very early in case you need it again quickly - but once off the end of the carrier it's not gonna help.

In the game raising wheels quickly reduces drag thus increases speed/acceleration - and only with speed comes height. Bang up gear as you go over the lip.

Now if still having problems look at your mission building.

Carrier - must be big and fast - if in doubt practice first from the Akagai - it has a long 20m High deck - wheras most of the US carriers seem to be only 10m high.

Set all waypoints speed to 57 Kmh (insert 99 and it will give the maximum)

Point the carrier directly South

On most Pacific maps the prevailing wind direction is towards the North.

This may give you an extra 10 Kmh airspeed over the deck.

If you still can't do it.....

Record a track of your attempt and post it up on the GIAP forum (click my badge to find that)

Platypus_1.JaVA
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Someone in our squad took off and landed back at the carrier in a B-25. That was pre-4.01

Tooz_69GIAP
07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Well, as far as I know, noone in our squad has attempted to LAND a B-25 on deack post 4.01m, but, as part of our carrier qualification course, you have to take off and land an A-20 from a moving carrier three times without damaging the aircraft. So far, 2 of our pilots have done it, and a 3rd pilot has done it using the Beaufighter (seperate training course).

It can be done, you just have to be gentle on the stick at all times, and don't go mad with the throttle!

Another important factor taking twins off a carrier is the torque. As you lift off the carrier, one of your wings will dip. Most people have a tendancy to push their ailerons in the opposite direction. This rarely works to right your aircraft before you're in the drink. Instead, use rudder to correct your attitude, and you should be fine.

Waldo.Pepper
07-12-2005, 08:07 PM
Has anyone got the B-25 off

Sorry Baldrick I don't butter my bread on that side.

mcg_mike
07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by STENKA_69.GIAP:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:

Hmm - fascinating those old manuals - stan - any ideas on why it would lose hight when winding up the wheels? perhaps it saps engine power?

Normaly it's not a good idea to pull up gear very early in case you need it again quickly - but once off the end of the carrier it's not gonna help.

In the game raising wheels quickly reduces drag thus increases speed/acceleration - and only with speed comes height. Bang up gear as you go over the lip.

Now if still having problems look at your mission building.

Carrier - must be big and fast - if in doubt practice first from the Akagai - it has a long 20m High deck - wheras most of the US carriers seem to be only 10m high.

Set all waypoints speed to 57 Kmh (insert 99 and it will give the maximum)

Point the carrier directly South

This may give you an extra 10 Kmh airspeed over the deck.

If you still can't do it.....

Record a track of your attempt and post it up on the GIAP forum (click my badge to find that) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After all the helpful hints, I have managed to get into the air, a few times with 25% fuel
landing flaps,full trottle as recommended by fherathras, But , anything heavier and I'm a brick. I'll try some other tips like facing the carrier south and see what happens. I'll take you up on your offer and send a track of my attempt (no laughing when you see it).

FritzGryphon
07-13-2005, 10:14 PM

On the Coral Sea map at least, the wind is from the north.

Another possible solution (though kind of a cheat) is to edit the carrier speed in the .mis file. It can be anything you want.

AirborneCoyote
07-14-2005, 03:44 AM
I managed to get a B25 off the deck of a carrier. My first try, even!

The resulting image made its way into my sig.

I was carrying...hm..3 1000 pound bombs, I think. Maybe two.

mcg_mike
07-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by AirborneCoyote:
I managed to get a B25 off the deck of a carrier. My first try, even!

The resulting image made its way into my sig.

I was carrying...hm..3 1000 pound bombs, I think. Maybe two.

Oh, how I envy you. I have at least, with the kind advice from everyone on this forum, managed to get off the carrier everytime now, alas, it is with minimum fuel and no payload. Oh well, back to the driver's seat for more practice and sea water up the shorts I guess. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif