PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Read

tjbyrum1
10-23-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs...nd_its_Aftermath.php (http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MatthewLoPresti/20101217/6470/Assassins_Creed_The_Failed_Hashshashin_Simulator_a nd_its_Aftermath.php)

You know, after reading that, I feel absolutely inclined to replay AC I over again, and this time in a different way and attitude.

But I wanted to bring this up because I wanted to discuss where the series is headed.

At first, I thought AC I was amazing. And then, I started believing the game was repetitive, boring, poorly made, and had nothing really going for it. I thought Ubi designed this game in a very bad way.

But after reading that article, I kind of changed my mind. Now that I think of it, Assassin's Creed was amazingly realistic (in terms of Altair's life). Now of course it's not purely realistic, but then again it IS a video game. AC I does a fantastic job of capturing the Crusades, Hashshashin, lives, and atmosphere.

YHHTQ
10-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Quite honestly, AC is still my favorite game in the series.

I know there are a lot of people who have an issue with it and I respect that, but personally, I never felt it to be repetitive or broken, gameplay wise.

Also, the nine targets were also FAR more memorable than the ones in AC2 or Brotherhood, which were bad men for the sake of being... Bad men. They added nothing more to the storyline other than that; I assume Ubi Montreal what to go in a different direction, but neither Rodrigo or Cesare can beat the pure awesomeness that Al Mualim and De Sable represented.

Also, even if you had nothing to do, the Kingdom was a beauty to behold and roam and the soundtrack was spot-on every single time. I almost wish I could revisit it in Revelations, but I honestly doubt it.

Either way, good article.

tjbyrum1
10-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately I sold AC I and II after I bought Brotherhood. For some reason I always go "Hey, now that I got the newest one I can sell the older ones!" and I end up regretting it.

I wish I still had it... cause the game makes a lot more sense now.

Altair is my favorite Assassin as well, and I wish I could be him. It's just not the same replaying Brotherhood with Altair's Robes on with Ezio's voice.

AC I is very historically accurate compared to AC II and Brotherhood.

I guess Ubi was like "No one liked what we did in AC I, so let's change directions".

Windrius
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
Not in the mood to write every fact that I agree with in that article, so in other words, I totally agree with everything said there.

YHHTQ
10-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Also, before I forget, does anyone still remember when the original AC was supposed to mention the original "hashshashin", instead of having the word itself and every reference to Islam removed?

Good old days. :\

Animuses
10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Assassin's Creed IS repetitive.

Sarari
10-23-2011, 01:26 PM
I feel so happy that someone posted a topic about this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif because almost everybody on the forums would rather choose AC2 or ACB over AC1. I personally feel like AC1 was the best game out of the series so far in almost anything. I'm gonna add a list below explaining what I think :P

1. AC1 was more realistic in so many ways. I mean, it wasn't necessarily realistic, but for a game, it was right on point. All the moves Altair did and the obstacles he went through weren't just something Ubisoft felt like putting cause it sounded cool.

Here are some examples. Ezio was sliding on the ground as he was hanging on the chariot. You can see that in a cut scene trailer. How is that possible. No one on earth can survive or at least not get injured by that. Even with chest armor.

When Ezio goes flying off the chariot and lands on a bed of rocks then rolls down the hill......people explain to me how he was just able to fight 3 guards smoothly, or how did he even survive.

I can go on with the list.

2. The in-depthity of the bad guys in AC1 were superb. The bad guys actually felt like there was a need for what they were doing and that there was a reason. You kinda see that in AC2, but in Brotherhood, they were just bad because Ubisoft wanted them to.

Overall, AC1 was a more authentic and vintage game, and had a better atmosphere. I mean, don't get me wrong, all those things Ezio does are cool, but I'd like to go back to the way AC1 was. It's feeling is unexplainable.

Sarari
10-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by YHHTQ:
Also, before I forget, does anyone still remember when the original AC was supposed to mention the original "hashshashin", instead of having the word itself and every reference to Islam removed?

Killing is prohibited in Islam no matter what....I would know because I'm a Muslim and I have read the Qur'an. The only time you can ever kill is if someone is trying to kill you. So one example is war.

Also, just a quick reminder to everybody, just because the assassin order was created by Arabians does not mean it is based off the Muslim religion. There are Atheist Arabs, Christian Arabs, and Jews are originally Arabs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

bajingantengik
10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
here is my experience of playing AC :

fail to retrieve PoE, get demoted > investigate, kill target (repeat 9x)> almualim is templar > kill almualim.

YHHTQ
10-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YHHTQ:

Killing is prohibited in Islam no matter what....I would know because I'm a Muslim and I have read the Qur'an. The only time you can ever kill is if someone is trying to kill you. So one example is war.

Also, just a quick reminder to everybody, just because the assassin order was created by Arabians does not mean it is based off the Muslim religion. There are Atheist Arabs, Christian Arabs, and Jews are originally Arabs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errrrrrrr... What the hell are you talking about...?!

I'm refering to the fact that the word itself was removed with no reason whatsoever, as well as all references to Islam and The Prophet.

I'm not trying to take a political statment here and neither should you while at it. Also, you should check your historical facts before mentioning anything else.

Sarari
10-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by YHHTQ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sarari:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YHHTQ:

Also, just a quick reminder to everybody, just because the assassin order was created by Arabians does not mean it is based off the Muslim religion. There are Atheist Arabs, Christian Arabs, and Jews are originally Arabs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Errrrrrrr... What the hell are you talking about...?!

I'm refering to the fact that the word itself was removed with no reason whatsoever, as well as all references to Islam and The Prophet.

I'm not trying to take a political statment here and neither should you while at it. Also, you should check your historical facts before mentioning anything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whoa whoa whoa wait, I mis-read what you said. That's all that happened. And the assassin order was created by Arabians, not Muslims. As I said before it's prohibited in Islam to kill.

And if it was Muslims who created the group, then they're going against everything the Qur'an says.

r4inm4n1991
10-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Putting Desmonds story apart:
AC1 gives a experience, rated: very good;
AC2 gives a totally different experience, rated: very good;
ACB its good but i think its only a "bridge" from AC2 to ACR, rated: good;
ACR i expect to be epic, since its the last chapter for our 2 heros every single second on the game is important EVEN the free roam xD, rated based on trailers: very good;
AC3, lets focus on revelations... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

PS:I loved "The Fall", i hope its part of the storyline of "the game universe".

YHHTQ
10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Sarari:Whoa whoa whoa wait, I mis-read what you said. That's all that happened. And the assassin order was created by Arabians, not Muslims. As I said before it's prohibited in Islam to kill.

Ohhhhh... My apologies then. A bit rash here. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

And if it was Muslims who created the group, then they're going against everything the Qur'an says.

The all killing first, suicide next was more of a political statment so to speak but the original founder of the "hashshashin" as well as it's followers were - supposedly - believers. Still, I hardly doubt anyone would consider them outstanding muslim citizens.

Still, once more, what I refer to is this for instance...

http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...ssassins-creed/21990 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2007-assassins-creed/21990)

In that video, you can clearly hear Talal say "hashshashin" and "There is no god, hashashin", while in the final game, you can't hear either. Also, after Talal is dead by Alta´r, he says some kind of prayer I assume, probably in arabic; You probably can make more sense of it then I can. You can't hear it in the final game. In another scene, when Majd Addin is about to execute the woman, he says she turned her back "on the teachings of" and then there's a cut.

Also, to rest my case...

http://darkush.blogspot.com/20...0/why-even-care.html (http://darkush.blogspot.com/2007/10/why-even-care.html)

Which is what happened in the game. Again, a shame indeed, since I had at the time access to a rough script of the dialogues and a lot of great stuff was written there, but some of the insinuations were... Unpleasant perhaps.

LightRey
10-23-2011, 03:22 PM
There have been, and still are, more than enough groups/organizations out there that claim to be Muslim, but are still breaking many of the basic "rules" of Islam. However, This would still not mean that they're actually not Muslims, they still believe in an Islamic god. Rather, it's more that they're Muslims in a similar way that Satanists would be (they don't actually exist) Christians.

roostersrule2
10-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Some of That's wrong as Altair didn't get drugged at the start, Desmond just couldn't adapt to the animus yet. Also if you walk around you can see Al Mualim talking about the same thing he did at the end.

rileypoole1234
10-23-2011, 07:43 PM
AC2 didn't fail and neither did AC1. They both are great game. Yes, there are connections to real assassin's but I don't think it's as deep as the writer thinks they are.

Sarari
10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:
AC2 didn't fail and neither did AC1. They both are great game. Yes, there are connections to real assassin's but I don't think it's as deep as the writer thinks they are.
^This

YHHTQ
10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rileypoole1234:

As I mentioned early on in this same topic, they actually were, at least originally.

http://www.gametrailers.com/vi...ssassins-creed/21990 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2007-assassins-creed/21990)

You have both that video and the official game guide. Yet, as I also mentioned...

http://darkush.blogspot.com/20...0/why-even-care.html (http://darkush.blogspot.com/2007/10/why-even-care.html)

The difference between the Invisible Imam novel by Barnes and the game is that the original AC wasn't canceled but almost EVERY single reference to Islam and to the original sect of the "hashshashin" was removed.

Jexx21
10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Truthfully, I wouldn't really have it different than the way it is now.

The games still inspire me to learn about history and what went on back then, but at the same time I still want an interesting game that doesn't bore me most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, I love AC1. But it IS repetitive and the chats you have with your targets and Al Mualim are long, and do get boring from time to time. I feel like if AC1 had the more cinematic cut-scenes of AC2 and onwards I would of liked those moments a lot more though..

RzaRecta357
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by roostersrule2:
Some of That's wrong as Altair didn't get drugged at the start, Desmond just couldn't adapt to the animus yet. Also if you walk around you can see Al Mualim talking about the same thing he did at the end.

Yeah but you think Desmond was just putting that together randomly? It does seem like a little paradise thing.

But then they WERE trying to access the PoE memory. Although I still like the idea of Desmond just seeing the moment they revealed "paradise" to Altair.

shobhit7777777
10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Excellent article and pretty much sums up my views on the franchise as a whole

Using a GTA mission structure, players were only required to go to a point on the map to start missions. A player didn't need to know what he was going to do on the mission beforehand, even if it was an assassination. This is the complete opposite of AC1, where all the smaller missions were prepping Altair for the main mission: the assassination. New information gathered informed the player on how best to tackle the assassination. This meant the idea of the assassination was always in the back of the player's mind, reminding Altair why he was even in those cities. This also made the act of assassinating your target that much more rewarding, as you had been spending the last hour or so preparing for it.

The above is a key point.
The mission design should've followed AC1 pattern. Instead of improving upon the 'Investigative' gameplay, of revamping the planning aspects, the devs simply abandoned it. AC2 was a brilliant game with superb additions (dual blades, combat, social stealth, diversions etc.) but the core mission structure and the linearity really detracted from it and felt like the game 3 steps forward and 1 back.

It was also disappointing to see none of the reviews mention any of these changes. They obviously knew the mission structure was altered, but no one understood the ramifications of those alterations. As noticeable by the bulk of the reviews, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are considered the best entries in the Assassin's Creed franchise. And I'm sorry to say, but their reviews damned us from ever experiencing anything like AC1 again. Their more favorable reviews approved Ubisoft's altered designs. That is unfortunate, because many people enjoyed the original experience, including myself. But again, the prospect of market success is what drove those changes, and that's not changing any time soon.

QFT!

luckyto
10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by shobhit7777777:
Excellent article and pretty much sums up my views on the franchise as a whole

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Using a GTA mission structure, players were only required to go to a point on the map to start missions. A player didn't need to know what he was going to do on the mission beforehand, even if it was an assassination. This is the complete opposite of AC1, where all the smaller missions were prepping Altair for the main mission: the assassination. New information gathered informed the player on how best to tackle the assassination. This meant the idea of the assassination was always in the back of the player's mind, reminding Altair why he was even in those cities. This also made the act of assassinating your target that much more rewarding, as you had been spending the last hour or so preparing for it.

The above is a key point.
The mission design should've followed AC1 pattern. Instead of improving upon the 'Investigative' gameplay, of revamping the planning aspects, the devs simply abandoned it. AC2 was a brilliant game with superb additions (dual blades, combat, social stealth, diversions etc.) but the core mission structure and the linearity really detracted from it and felt like the game 3 steps forward and 1 back.

It was also disappointing to see none of the reviews mention any of these changes. They obviously knew the mission structure was altered, but no one understood the ramifications of those alterations. As noticeable by the bulk of the reviews, Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are considered the best entries in the Assassin's Creed franchise. And I'm sorry to say, but their reviews damned us from ever experiencing anything like AC1 again. Their more favorable reviews approved Ubisoft's altered designs. That is unfortunate, because many people enjoyed the original experience, including myself. But again, the prospect of market success is what drove those changes, and that's not changing any time soon.

QFT! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said.

iN3krO
10-24-2011, 01:45 PM
OMFG, so repetitive threads!!!

/joke

I've been saying that Ac1 was a better designed game then Ac2 and AcB... It has something different, something that attracted me to play more offten to master my techniques... Something Ac2/B doesn't have.

Maybe it's becuz i've played all GTA before i played Assassin's Creed so i'm already bored of that mission system. Maybe it's becuz combat is not a challenge anymore so you don't need to think how to avoid it. Maybe it's becuz u feel like a real assassin planning the strike before you do it.

I just know that with Ezio i felt like a robot while in Ac1 i felt like a living person.

Some ppl says Ac1 is repetitive, it's becuz they lack in point of view. Missions style were repetitive but, they were harder when you advance in city and they unlock information about that target. If you are a lazzy player then that information is **** for you, but if you want to feel like a real assassin you will use that information to aproach better your target and to scape faster and without leaving trail.

I don't say i don't like Ac2, it was great and i understand it but, AcB was really stupid. Now Ezio works his own way, why he doesn't investigate his targets before he tries to kill them?

Anyway, Ubisoft, for the sake of your reputation, do Ac3 a good thing between Ac1 and Ac2/B/R adding some stuff you think will make the game better (for both sides). Infinity Ward is archiving that with Mw3 why can't you? I've already wasted 110 bunks with you (now 160) so it means i have faith you will do some good things in Ac3 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif