PDA

View Full Version : Use of the overhead approach on the same course

rcocean
02-18-2005, 09:38 AM
A noobie question.

I've been trying to shoot down bombers and Ju-87's using the overhead approach on the same course as used by US Navy Pilots in WWII.

But I can't seem to get in right. I either get dinged by the rear gunners, zoom by too quickly or need 5 passes to damage the bomber.

The Ju-87 in particular seems quite difficult to shoot down using this approach.

Does anyone have any tips?

rcocean
02-18-2005, 09:38 AM
A noobie question.

I've been trying to shoot down bombers and Ju-87's using the overhead approach on the same course as used by US Navy Pilots in WWII.

But I can't seem to get in right. I either get dinged by the rear gunners, zoom by too quickly or need 5 passes to damage the bomber.

The Ju-87 in particular seems quite difficult to shoot down using this approach.

Does anyone have any tips?

Shakthamac
02-18-2005, 10:19 AM
come in from 6 low

rcocean
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks. I know its a well worn topic - but I'm trying to do things that were historically accurate.

Finkeren
02-18-2005, 10:52 AM
I find the most effective method is actually a head-on attack from 12 o'clock low, comming in at a low angle of attack just below the field of fire of the top turret (on a B-17). This angle exposes all the vulnarable spots on the bomber: Cockpit, engines, crew positions, bomb bay, fuel tanks and landing gear. My experience is that in a Bf 109 G6-early with underwing 20mm canons I can shoot down as many as 6 - 7 B-17s in one mission while sticking to this tactic (sometimes I can even take down 2 in one pass). When attacking a 6 o'clock I'm limited to 3 - 4 kills and am often left with a damaged engine.
The only major disadvantages are, that it takess some shooting skills to hit at anpproach speed of some 700 km/h and you have to start out in a good position exactly at 12 o'clock.
Also this method is time consuming and you run the risk that your wingmen finish off all the bombers before you get a chance for a second pass.