PDA

View Full Version : Altair in Disguise?

AltairVirtuoso
09-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know if Altair has the ability to steal other peoples clothes like in the Hitman series? Kind of stupid if someone were to see him in real life back then, describe what he wore... and bam...they know. But then again, he's wearing something religious ??? I'm not sure what his disguise is. I'm aware some of those church people wear the exact same thing he does, and if so why? Is it part of a religious sect? Is he already in disguise? ARGH ! There must be reality!

SpiderFreak
09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
I kind of hope there's disguises, though I'd rather not be in the form of stealing clothes. It would be nice to be able to dress in the appropiate manner to blend in when needed.

Prehaps something similar to the Splinter Cell series, where you can pick your "load out." You can dress differently for however you want to take out your target. For instance, if you plan on taking your victim out with a crossbow bolt tothe chest while hiding in a window, you probably won't need a disguise. But if you plan on following your target through a crowd, stabbing him in the neck, and then running as fast as you can for an exit out of the city, then you might want to dress similar to the crowd.

SF

Fates.Dark.Hand
09-24-2006, 04:02 PM
I hope Altair cannot change into different clothes, his stylish white cloak is to die for! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Plus it kinda defeats the object of getting caught and then running for your life. I hope he sticks with the one peice of clothing.

drunkrepublican
09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/727/727805/assassins-creed-20060823072810467.jpg

AltairVirtuoso
09-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, in response to the person who does not want it in different clothes. True the white cloak is cool and all, but if you see a notorious guy who's killing people in a white cloak all the time, wouldn't you know its some of those white dressed people? Unless, there's some religious aspect to it...or else the guards can just interrogate every guy wearing a cloak + the old man.

etothevizzle
09-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by AltairVirtuoso:
Does anyone know if Altair has the ability to steal other peoples clothes like in the Hitman series? Kind of stupid if someone were to see him in real life back then, describe what he wore... and bam...they know. But then again, he's wearing something religious ??? I'm not sure what his disguise is. I'm aware some of those church people wear the exact same thing he does, and if so why? Is it part of a religious sect? Is he already in disguise? ARGH ! There must be reality!

well if he were to be in disguise then you could easily escape...and one of the things being put at the top of the priority list for the devs is the escape part...and you are urged to assassinate the targets in plain sight in front of a hundred people so u can escape from guards with a huge climatic chase...but u can also "disappear"...and i mean back then its not like they had a huge variety of colors to choose from when shopping for clothes or making them themselves...so white was pretty standard and popular...and anyway if he changed uniforms he would still have all his weapons being shown...cuz unlike hitman, he doesnt have a suit jacket pocket that holds unlimited amounts of items...so if he was in disguise he would still have a crossbow on his back

simulacra
09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
No, UBI thought about it but scrapped it...

AltairVirtuoso
09-24-2006, 07:42 PM
AMAZING POINT VIZZLE! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif And thanks simulacra for letting us know UBI actually thinks of all the aspects people such as myself argue for. It's good to know they at least thought about it but scrapped it. They might not have put a lot of effort into the thinking because I'm sure something could have worked out; however, it's a good point vizzle made and it's the thought that they thought about it that counts! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

SpiderFreak
09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by etothevizzle:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AltairVirtuoso:

well if he were to be in disguise then you could easily escape...and one of the things being put at the top of the priority list for the devs is the escape part...and you are urged to assassinate the targets in plain sight in front of a hundred people so u can escape from guards with a huge climatic chase...but u can also "disappear"...and i mean back then its not like they had a huge variety of colors to choose from when shopping for clothes or making them themselves...so white was pretty standard and popular...and anyway if he changed uniforms he would still have all his weapons being shown...cuz unlike hitman, he doesnt have a suit jacket pocket that holds unlimited amounts of items...so if he was in disguise he would still have a crossbow on his back </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right about the weapons, but then again, they show anyways. I mean, I still don't understand why guards wouldn't stare at him automatically just because he's carrying a sword and crossbow. I'd be suspicious of a guy running around with a sword and crossbow.

SF

AltairVirtuoso
09-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Actually, I didn't make my thanks to eman specific enough...I thanked him for his view on the clothing selections..That part I agree with, not the weapons in the pockets or in miday. Back around 1167 when the Shirkuh armies were exiting Egypt, almost everyone had swords but very few such as the hunters or meat gatherers had crossbows, considering the meat enterprise or specific contrabands were never established as a main vacuum for sustenance. I know that as a fact. (Theres part of my 5 on my AP euro exam lol) I was just wondering why he wouldn't have a disguise, but eman/vizzale w.e. cleared it up by pointing out it really wouldn't have mattered either way, in fact, it would just be extraneous to the gameplay experience.

purepwng
09-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by SpiderFreak: You're right about the weapons, but then again, they show anyways. I mean, I still don't understand why guards wouldn't stare at him automatically just because he's carrying a sword and crossbow. I'd be suspicious of a guy running around with a sword and crossbow.
sure maybe the crossbow would be a bit obvious but it wasn't uncommon for people at the time to carry swords in the open with them. they could have thought he was a wandering hunter or something with the crossbow.

Keksus
09-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Fates.Dark.Hand:
I hope Altair cannot change into different clothes, his stylish white cloak is to die for! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Plus it kinda defeats the object of getting caught and then running for your life. I hope he sticks with the one peice of clothing.

Totally agree http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
But i hope there will be a black version of the cloak http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

ameshockey3
09-29-2006, 09:36 AM
it would be sweet if he could do that!!! im all down for that.

Red_Mercury901
09-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Personally, I like his white cloak. I read somewhere that most people in that time period wore white and similar colours and black would look out of place. Anyway, I think it gives him character.

impeachpedro
09-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by drunkrepublican:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/727/727805/assassins-creed-20060823072810467.jpg

well, how do we know that his cloak isnt a disguise within itself?

I know its cool and all, but isnt Altair muslim, part of the Hashashin? I dont think he would be wearing a cloak similar to the christian priests for assassinations, unless he was planning on a sick mockery of them, or even framing one of the monks!

You never know, but I do see that the cloak is the perfect thing for assassinations, i read something a while ago as its supposed to represent and eagle when a shadow is cast on it, and altair is the eagle and the victim is his prey.

DarkCrawler90
09-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Altair literally translates as €œeagle€ from Arabic, and the choice of the moniker is entirely purposeful. €œHe's like a bird of prey. We took that as a reference for all his moves, looks, and attitudes,€ art director Nicolas Cantin points out to us. Against a wall, the shadow of his cowl appears as a sharp beak. Crouched upon high roof ledges, his cloak falls about him like folded wings. When he strikes his victim, his ritualistic dagger appears like a talon as it emerges into his left hand, where his ring finger has been ceremonially severed upon his entry into the order

Phantom_483
09-30-2006, 06:09 AM
altairs clothing may well be a disguise because in the devs diaryit mentions something about the hashashin, a clan of assassins that originated when assassins creed is set, it even said that there was one kill, of a king(i believe this could be similar to the e3 trailer) by them, then someone would drug them, and take them to a castle where beautiful women would cater to their every need then drug them and put them in hole, they would then go out and complete a mission not caring if they died because they thought they had already seen a glimpse of paradise

DarkCrawler90
09-30-2006, 07:02 AM
The latest IGN article states that as the game processes, Altair changes his appearence. Don't know if this applies to his clothes.

As Altair progresses through the story in Assassin's Creed, he levels up in an RPG-lite way, changing his appearance and getting his mutilated hand on more lethal weaponry.

sCM_redruM
09-30-2006, 09:40 AM
The premise of the game seems to be revolving around escape, but that doesn't mean clothes aren't playing a factor in that aspect..

I mean, no matter how you assassinate someone, you are now a target..Whether you went in high or low profile, the guards saw you and that cloak is now known...It's not as if you snuck into a bedroom and killed the guy in his sleep, you did it in broad daylight..

So after the first assassination, guards 'should' be looking for that guy in the cloak, regardless of how you killed him...So even if you went low profile for the first one, the second assassination probably will have you at a high profile if you wear the same cloak...

morlock1990
10-10-2006, 09:11 AM
The cloak has a certain meaning excually. It is red and white, what stands for innocence (white) and (i though) anger, but im not sure what the red mean precisely, it was something not good. I read a book about these guys. So...

I dont think u can actually change the clothing, maybe a little. Cause the clothes are specific for the hashashins. And like red_mercury says a lot of people were white because that was a cheap color to make. So he definetily would not be thumping out.

Maximus1170
10-10-2006, 03:06 PM
White was a common colour to peasants. Most Churches at about that time had brown cloaks, only the richer churches had the money to dye their cloaks. So it would make sense for Altiar to have more than one colour of cloak.

tress-jr
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
ummmm we had mutiple threads about this subject http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Expired_Exile
10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Batman can't change into the public's clothes. The "hero's" outfit is his signature characterization. Also under his white outfit his main assassination weapon hides. His hoodie to hide his face. From what i collect, he's doing what he does for a cause- for the people. But like you i can't wait to find out the true story of Altair's beginning and end. which brings me to a good question.

Will there be a Assassin's Creed 2? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

PoPFan05
10-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Expired_Exile:
Batman can't change into the public's clothes. The "hero's" outfit is his signature characterization. Also under his white outfit his main assassination weapon hides. His hoodie to hide his face. From what i collect, he's doing what he does for a cause- for the people. But like you i can't wait to find out the true story of Altair's beginning and end. which brings me to a good question.

Will there be a Assassin's Creed 2? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/touche.gif

"Assassin's Creed" is not even out in stores yet, and you're already asking about "Assassin's Creed 2?" You must be really obsessive-compulsive about this game... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif I'm kidding. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

There's no problem asking ahead of time if there will be an "Assassin's Creed 2" (because, obviously,"Assassin's Creed" will be a trilogy)... to answer your question, I'm sure there will be an "Assassin's Creed 2" but, as of right now, no official announcement has been made.

tress-jr
10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
its had to tell if its gonna be an sequel but i heard the producers was trying to make it so that it will be one...

and i hope dammm right there will i mean everyone loves the game and its not even OUT YET!!!

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif and this thread will be closed

Jcoo
01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I am sure (as someone else had mentioned in this thread already) that his apparel is symbolic or representative of something. Perhaps his loyalty to that article of clothing actually represents his loyalty to the hashhishins, or more the more abstract idea, his loyalty to justice. Just a thought.

ImmortalBones
01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
no disguise till the future.

deuschle666
01-27-2007, 06:19 AM
whoever said he changes his appearance as the game goes on itll probablly be like in prince of persia where he rips his shirt arm off then the other one then he just has no shirt at the end

Last_Assassins
01-27-2007, 05:53 PM
That is soooo not true! White was actually the hardest color to make. The thing was, back in the olden days. Usually only those of high status would have white clothing. A popular method they used was urinating on the cloth, and leaving it in the sun, day in and day out. This would often take months. After that the cloth would be washed day after day for sometimes a month or so before its even ready to be cut and sewed together!

~Chase

cooldude6681
01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Well are you talking about pure white fabric or off-white? Off-white (or rather, non-uniformly white) fabric would be easy enough to make, using egyptian cotton. Making it pure white, though, would be harder, but I wouldn't say it's the hardest color to make. In school, they taught me that purple was associated with royalty because it was so hard to get the dye (which had to be extracted from mollusk shells, and you would only get a very small amount of dye from each shell - not nearly enough to dye your robes with).

noobfun
02-02-2007, 07:45 AM
well, how do we know that his cloak isnt a disguise within itself?

I know its cool and all, but isnt Altair muslim, part of the Hashashin? I dont think he would be wearing a cloak similar to the christian priests for assassinations, unless he was planning on a sick mockery of them, or even framing one of the monks!

You never know, but I do see that the cloak is the perfect thing for assassinations, i read something a while ago as its supposed to represent and eagle when a shadow is cast on it, and altair is the eagle and the victim is his prey.

nope sorry he is a nizari, Hashashin was a slang insult they were sometimes called. Naziri were a splinter group of the muslim faith that beleived everyone who wasnt an ishma'ili or nizari which was somthing like 98% of the muslim world were illusions and not real people so a muslim was as bad as a christian to them so no sick parody there.

The cloak is symbolic of the games designers thinking this will look cool, the bird thing is right. Bird name, cloak that looks bird like it all ties in it'll be cool

Hassan-Sabbah
03-23-2007, 08:53 AM
There were later legends that connected the "Red and White" to the Assassins, but most scholars give this no creedence what-so-ever, as there is nothing to back it up. A few authors (James Wasserman, for one) have tried to make a connection between the Templars and the Assassins as being part of a larger secret society (again, no historical basis for this, tho' the two did have contact, and more often than not, the Nizari (assassins) came up with the short end of the stick).

Maybe, the story line's "conspiracy" will play upon that "Templar/Assasin" secret society thing...? I doubt it though...they really were quite opposed to each other in many ways.

But, as is often the case, even with modern day "secret societies"....the lower degrees rarely know what is going on at the top of the pyramid... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

"Realisticaly"...a beige, or light brown would be the ideal "camo" colour for a desert terrain. Despite popular misconceptions, not even Ninja wore black. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif