PDA

View Full Version : From drawing board to combat

ImpStarDuece
12-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Was watching a WW2 period feature on the Mosquito and the narrator stated that it took 22 months from first drawing board designs to its first combat mission (and just 12 months to the first flight). For reference, the P-51's design to combat lag was 27 months!

This is a remarkably short time, particularly when I think of the struggle that de Havilland had to go through to get the aircraft accepted.

I know that the Mossie's first mission was September 1941, putting the beginning of design at around November 1939. Does anyone have any earlier date for this? I know de Havilland went to the Air Ministry in late 1938 with the concept of a twin engined, unarmed wooden fast bomber, but when did design actually commence?

ImpStarDuece
12-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Was watching a WW2 period feature on the Mosquito and the narrator stated that it took 22 months from first drawing board designs to its first combat mission (and just 12 months to the first flight). For reference, the P-51's design to combat lag was 27 months!

This is a remarkably short time, particularly when I think of the struggle that de Havilland had to go through to get the aircraft accepted.

I know that the Mossie's first mission was September 1941, putting the beginning of design at around November 1939. Does anyone have any earlier date for this? I know de Havilland went to the Air Ministry in late 1938 with the concept of a twin engined, unarmed wooden fast bomber, but when did design actually commence?