PDA

View Full Version : VR Headset

BlodhemnUK
10-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Can anyone recomend a good VR Headset that I can use for IL2/FB/AEP/ & PF as well as FS9?

Cant find any good info on net so far. only 3D glasses, which was not what I was looking for. Im looking for the ones where you can wear the headset and be able to look all round you. Does anyone still make em?

BlodhemnUK
10-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Can anyone recomend a good VR Headset that I can use for IL2/FB/AEP/ & PF as well as FS9?

Cant find any good info on net so far. only 3D glasses, which was not what I was looking for. Im looking for the ones where you can wear the headset and be able to look all round you. Does anyone still make em?

Heavy_Weather
10-25-2004, 08:21 AM
are you talking about TrackIR? if so you can find it here (http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/)

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

BaldieJr
10-25-2004, 09:10 AM
VR headsets suck. Do yourself a favor and forget they exist.

You can purchase a really nice projector for about the same price and get far better image quality.

BlodhemnUK
10-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks Heavy_Weather im looking into the Trackir and so far it looks **** cool.

Thx again
Rob

XyZspineZyX
10-26-2004, 04:50 PM
The head-tracker thing looks really cool... has anyone tried this with one of the Maddox sims? Is it way superior to anything you can do with a hotas scheme? Does your neck get sore after a few hours? Is it disorienting? How solid and smooth is it... do you feel like you have absolutely positive control or is it kinda flakey in any way?

Thanks!

WTE_Galway
10-26-2004, 10:35 PM
the latest version trackir 3 pro works pretty flawlessly with IL2 and FB when setup correctly (position of sensors and dots is still critical)though it helps to use a "soft" profile with a deadzone when you are a beginner

most people pick it up pretty quick and it ends up being second nature .. helps with immersion and SA immensely

the ocasional person never seems to get th ehang of it or suffers motion sickness but that is rare

by the way .. 3D glasses are notoriously flaky with IL2, work for some people and not others, so i suspect VR sets will suffer hte same problems

Owlsphone
10-26-2004, 10:43 PM
I have TrackIR and many on these boards have gotten it so far. The word of TrackIR has spread like wildfire. My opinion (as many others have agreed) is that I would not fly without it ever again. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.

Properella
10-26-2004, 10:52 PM
TrackIR is an interesting looking product.

It's good that you don't have to tilt your head very much to make use of it.

Tully__
10-27-2004, 12:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AgentBif:
The head-tracker thing looks really cool... has anyone tried this with one of the Maddox sims? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Everyone who can afford it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is it way superior to anything you can do with a hotas scheme? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Does your neck get sore after a few hours? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
For some. You need to have a profile set up with the right amount of dead zone and have your PC/desk/chair relationship set up in a reasonably ergonomic fashion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is it disorienting? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Some find it so, but after a short acclimatisation most find it is actually less disorienting than padlock or mouse pan, as the position you're holding your head is directly related to where you're looking with TrackIR.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How solid and smooth is it... do you feel like you have absolutely positive control or is it kinda flakey in any way? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The original TIR was a bit prone to losing tracking lock occasionally, but it has improved in leaps and bounds with each version. The current TIR3 and TIR3 Pro are very stable, almost completely unaffected by extraneous light sources and have a high enough refresh rate to give extremely smooth panning.

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2004, 01:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Is it way superior to anything you can do with a hotas scheme? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thanks for the input guys. This sounds like the miracle solution to flight sim viewing systems that I've been wishing for for a long time... They just got another sale!

Tully__
10-27-2004, 02:21 AM
It's no miracle, it does take a little getting used to, but if you can adapt (and most do) it's a huge improvement over hat/mouse view systems.

BlodhemnUK
11-07-2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. I bought the Trackir 3 Pro in the end. It is indeed very good. Only problem im having is it seems to sensative, and when landing that can be deadly, as I kept overcompensating where i was looking, and ended up crashing. But, im still trying to figure out how to set it up properly, so no doubt I should be able to turn the sensativity down.

Anyone who can help me with some suggestions on how to set it up, that would be cool.

Lucius_Esox
11-07-2004, 12:46 PM
Whenever I read threads about track IR I always say to myself I must get it! Am a lazy b******* sometimes and do not get around to things I should. PLEASE could someone help me out of my lethargy by posting a link to where I can buy the seamless version for IL2 online. Does it have much of an FPS hit anyone?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Heavy_Weather
11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
you can get it here: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/store/catalog.html

or call 1.888.865.5535

GT182
11-07-2004, 01:07 PM
I can't remember where but there is a site that has profiles ready to download for the Tracker. Maybe someone has a link for it and can post it here.