PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on realism settings vs. "Uber Ai?"

Ed6269
10-27-2008, 04:41 PM
In light on all the postings on the AI on steroids, and I concede that there is some debate on how "Uber" the AI is, what are the thoughts on best way to "counter" in terms of realism settings? Turning off realistic gunnery? Complex engine management?
Most of my play will be offline; I agree that online full realism is a must.
Thanks all.

WTE_Galway
10-27-2008, 05:02 PM
If you are offline you can always edit the missions with Quick Mission Tuner to lower the AI skill ratings.

Personally I never found the AI that hard. The only complaints you hear about AI being uber is with the gunnery. The complaints about bomber gunners come from people who seem to expect to fly up to a bomber and sit behind it and be safe while making no effort to avoid the defensive fire. The complaints about ships seems to be more along the line of "I do not care that historically about half the planes attacking a ship got shot down, they should not shoot ME down its unfair".

I do have complaints about the AI but those complaints are related to its stupidity and the fact they are not very challenging as opponents. Its annoying to be in the middle of a close fought dogfight and have your opponent just fly into a mountain or after a successful mission have half your flight collide with each other on the way home.

Note that many people have claimed the AI was deliberately "Dumbed Down" to make the game more appealing to the mass market. i doubt that is true myself.

Back on topic ...

1. Download Quick Mission Tuner to edit missions if you really are having trouble.

2. For bombers learn to attack from above below and the sides. Learn to see the tracer coming and jink to avoid it. Learn to never fly straight when around a bomber always sway and duck and jink.

3. For capital ships. Your chances in game are better than the guys in real life had. Still same advice as for bombers look for tracer swerve sway and jink. Addons like IL2 stab will let you tone the guns down if you must.

Freiwillige
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
It is my beleif that the A.I. doesnt cheat so much anymore with the new flight models that came out with 1946.

Previously the A.I. took off like a bat from hell and you couldnt catch up with your flight, Now not so much anymore. Catching your flight is fairly easy.

Previously the A.I. would jink and pull amazing turns and you would black out just trying to tail him, Now much more realistic and acheivable.

Now it seems that The A.I. cannot do anymore than you can with the exception of seeing thru clouds or spotting you on his six in his blind spot. But my one major complaint is those ****ing barrel rolls as soon as you get your guns on him!

I fly offline and the only advantage's I give myself are external's so I can F6 through bandits and choose my best target and map waypoints cause without them I would be lost!

WTE_Galway
10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Freiwillige:
It is my beleif that the A.I. doesnt cheat so much anymore with the new flight models that came out with 1946.

Previously the A.I. took off like a bat from hell and you couldnt catch up with your flight, Now not so much anymore. Catching your flight is fairly easy.

Previously the A.I. would jink and pull amazing turns and you would black out just trying to tail him, Now much more realistic and acheivable.

Now it seems that The A.I. cannot do anymore than you can with the exception of seeing thru clouds or spotting you on his six in his blind spot. But my one major complaint is those ****ing barrel rolls as soon as you get your guns on him!

I fly offline and the only advantage's I give myself are external's so I can F6 through bandits and choose my best target and map waypoints cause without them I would be lost!

I think the main change was in the missions, the AI does a big circuit around the home base these days so you now have time to formate. They were never that hard to catch the trick was to sit on a relatively high speed and not worry to much about climbing until you were right under them. In some ways it was preferable when they just took off and headed for the target, missions are longer now.

The barrel rolls are amusing. they seem to be a poor attempt at a scissors. Its not a proper scissors because they are far to easy to shoot while barrel rolling http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Feathered_IV
10-28-2008, 07:34 AM
When I fly as a group of bombers online, the other aircraft all take off and go tearing away as if it's a race. They don't seem to be programed with any concept of formations or defensive strategy. I often think that the AI seem more intelligent than your average human player in a medium bomber. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

dirkpit7
10-30-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't think that AI advantages are so big that they need any "countering". But if you want, one option is to turn off engine overheating. That may cut some of the AI's performance advantage especially in climbing.

Divine-Wind
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I think most of my problems are with me. I run into so many opportunities to squeeze off shots, but my aim sucks so hard half the time I end up hitting myself. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif Makes play-testing missions very interesting, I can tell you that!

crucislancer
10-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Ed6269:
In light on all the postings on the AI on steroids, and I concede that there is some debate on how "Uber" the AI is, what are the thoughts on best way to "counter" in terms of realism settings? Turning off realistic gunnery? Complex engine management?
Most of my play will be offline; I agree that online full realism is a must.
Thanks all.

IMHO, once you get the AI's "number", you can fly Realistic against them.