PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit on or Off?

NawlinzVoodoo
12-22-2004, 09:45 AM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I was just wondering how many of you leave the cockpit view on all the time or how many disable this option. I see in some lobbies on Hyper that you have to fly with cockpit on. I'm so use to turning it off when I go into combat that this is really hard to get use to. Are their alot of servers on Hyper that use the 'cockpit always on' option?</span>

NawlinzVoodoo
12-22-2004, 09:45 AM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I was just wondering how many of you leave the cockpit view on all the time or how many disable this option. I see in some lobbies on Hyper that you have to fly with cockpit on. I'm so use to turning it off when I go into combat that this is really hard to get use to. Are their alot of servers on Hyper that use the 'cockpit always on' option?</span>

Maasi
12-22-2004, 09:53 AM
I´m allways using cockpit wiew, never even tried external wiew (or actually i did, it wasn´t pretty, i find it easier to fly with cockpit on)I´m using full realism minus speedbar, and that i use because i really don´t get those knots or mph´s on us planes, i need them in kmh´s and some of those speed indicators are quite hard to read.

reddevil49
12-22-2004, 09:59 AM
I think you will find that most of them leave the pit on to add to the immertion. I myself aways leave it on as that is the way I like to fly. But enjoy the game and fly it any way you enjoy it. I have always believed that the longer some one plays the game the need to make it more of a chalenge will finaly take you to the fr options. Its just a matter of time.

99th Obsidian
12-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I started out in IL-2 with the Pit off (otherwise known as "Wonder Woman"-glass plane view) Since getting my TrackIR 2 a year or so ago I fly cockpit on exclusively. I got very disoriented when I combined TIR with the Pit off because I had no natural frame of reference. The red and blue arrows are useful but somewhat unrealistic. Flying with the Pit off robs you of the fantastically detailed cockpits in the FB,AEP,PF series. My SA (situational awareness) has actually improved since I am able to determine at what aspect a bogey is in relation to my plane by where I see in relation to the cockpit framing/plane exterior in view. Immersion is much higher since you do actually lose sight of bogeys as they pass under your planes nose, wing or tail. For many of us this is a Simulator not a game. As such, cockpit on delivers a more realistic experience than cockpit off. However, I admit that I use unrealitic external views mostly for flybys and to continue watching the battle sometimes if my pilot dies in a multiplayer mission. Gamers who are more concerned with maintaining visual contact in order to earn more "points" tend to prefer cockpit off.

PS: When (if?) 6DOF (full head movement) is implemented in a 1C maddox flight sim, there will be even fewer who will fly with the cockpit off. My mouth waters at the very idea that I will be able to maintain contact with a bogey who has disappeared behind a cockpit frame by shifting my head position to bring him back into view. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

WildeSau
12-22-2004, 11:30 AM
I never fly without the cockpit - because of realism and because I think it's easier - you know where you are and where to go to.

And those arrows showing you were the enemy is isn't realistic either. That's why I prefer flying with the cockpit on.

WildeSau

pcpilot_MGG
12-22-2004, 11:43 AM
If you want an arcade game, you could fly without the cockpit... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

JG53Frankyboy
12-22-2004, 11:53 AM
hey, all that hard work of cockpit modelling would be senseless without cockpit enabled http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

i only use it to make TAS tests http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DarkCanuck420
12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
personally im just starting this sim business. so i use icons and only use the cockpit on occasion. i used to slow down the rate of time using the [ button. this is only because im just starting off though. i dont use it very often any more. almost all of the realism settings are on. but im still getting a feel for the game. it will be a while before i go online to get my 6 shot off. i do intend to use full realism.

question. what resolution do you guys use?
ive heard some guys, even with a good computer, use 800*600 just to make things bigger.
================================================

Scen
12-22-2004, 12:52 PM
I started out not using the cockpit just to learn how to shoot and make deflection shots.

Well I quickly learned that a lot of the shots I was taking where impossible had the cockpit been turned on.

So I made the switch and of course I loved the cockpit as it really adds to immersion but it changes the way you shoot.

It's much more satisfying when you make shots with the cockpit on.

I recently when back to a no cockpits server and laughed because guys are making ridiculous deflection shots and it quickly turned into Airquake.

I think it's okay to use as a learning tool at first but then turn the stuff back on it's much better.

Scendore

GT182
12-22-2004, 01:03 PM
If you want it "REAL", cockpit on is the only way to fly. I concider it a cheat using "Wonder Woman" view and wish it would be done away with in a future patch for Online. Of course each to their own when playing as Single Player.

Mr5by5
12-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Heck, up until recently I didn't know you could fly cockpit off. It was a novelty, and I went back inside the cockpit a shortwhile later.

Typ356
12-22-2004, 01:13 PM
&gt;For many of us this is a Simulator not a game. As such, cockpit on delivers a more realistic experience than cockpit off.

One could make the argument that cockpit off is just as realistic, as the cockpit view in no way reflects what it looks like to be sitting in a real cockpit with real world 3D and a moveable neck, or always knowing where "ahead" is because you head is attached to your neck, etc... I get lost on cockpit views a lot (crappy joystick I am sure) and the field of view is not any more realistic than the wonder woman cockpit in my book... I think the real field of view is somewhere in between, no sim can replicate the pilot's real view from a seat and his ability wo wiggle around... I feel downright clautrophobic using the cockpit mode in combat, I use both... full screen for combat (though I agreee the arrows make this too easy) and cockpit for landing... I guess I am not a purist ;-)

F19_Ob
12-22-2004, 01:15 PM
I only fly online and with cockpit on.
Thats the way I like it, but I dont mind others enjoying the sim in other ways.
I always record tracks and review the battles later from outside view to get the full picture and contemplate on the tricks and ideas of other players, and constantly improve my own ideas and tactics from what i see.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

LilHorse
12-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Cockpit on always. I'm happy to say that I've been flying this sim since 2001 and I still don't know what the command is to disable the cockpit. Also, happily for me and others like me, there seems to be more servers on Hyperlobby that have cockpit always on ticked.

foxfire1941
12-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I like to be able to switch it on and off as I please. I can turn it off and get better frame rates, I can turn it on and get more immersive. I also like to play with icons on, so I can see planes better. One thing I would like to see is the option to turn the colored arrows Off or On in no cockpit view, by keyboard toggle. It's just a game it can never be full real. The only way to go full real is to join the air force and become a air combat pilot, but if you do that, remember you only get one life and can't hit Refly.

RiesenSchnauzer
12-22-2004, 01:55 PM
If you start with the cockpit on you will get used to it soon enough. I can't imagine playing in arcade mode. It would totally ruin the immersion factor for me personally.

crazyivan1970
12-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Cool, that`s a new hot topic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

LilHorse
12-22-2004, 02:09 PM
LMAO, Ivan. Yeah, but I just can't help myself sometimes.

LilHorse
12-22-2004, 02:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr5by5:
Heck, up until recently I didn't know you could fly cockpit off. It was a novelty, and I went back inside the cockpit a shortwhile later. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Jimmy Rushing! I thought you died a long time ago!

R_Target
12-22-2004, 02:19 PM
No cockpit is good for flying in BF1942 or something like that. Seems kinda silly in IL2. So, another vote for pit on.

stathem
12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
'Pit on here, regardless of server settings (Although flying full real exclusivley now)

Don't you think though, the demographic of people interested enough to spent time on the forums tends toward the 'high immersion' guys? Can you see many 'arcade' flyers reading stuff on here?

RoughRaider1
12-22-2004, 03:04 PM
I do both. Sometimes I set up missions in full realisim, other times I leave realistic view options open for changing in-game. Depends what mood I'm in.
But I do enjoy looking at my plane in external view quite often.
If I go into a server where no cockpit is allowed, I may not use it sometimes since I know others probably aren't. But I don't have a problem with flying on full realisim servers either. I find it different of course but fun either way.
Other options besides the views, I usually keep strictly at full realisim.

TROOPER117
12-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Got to be cockpit on! I'm an older flight simmer, and I was brought up with WWII still fresh in most of the adult populations memory, so the chance to be able to immerse myself in all this technology, and to put myself in the cockpit of those fantastic old aircraft is a dream come true!
Seems like a bit of a waste to simply turn it into some kind of arcade game wouldn't you say?

ploughman
12-22-2004, 03:25 PM
I fly with cockpit on but use some of the "aids" to locate other aircraft etc,. such as target lock and so on. I do this to compensate for viewing the cyber-pilot world through a 17 inch square window located 2 feet from my face. As far as I know WWII pilots did not have mouse operated heads.

When I have a visor mounted screen working in conjuntion with one of those 3d pro head point pro things, then I'll go full real. And I don't think that'll be too long. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

heywooood
12-22-2004, 05:22 PM
This sim offers both to intice new people to combat flight sim genre...but if you want to fully appreciate the essence of true air combat, you will learn to fly with the cockpit on....it will be like riding a bike without the training wheels. The object is to one day wean yourself of the wonderwoman view entirely.

-HH- Beebop
12-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Cockpit on with one exception. Air Racing.
There you need every possible aid for situational awareness. You're flying wingtip to wingtip with both experienced and inexperienced racers. Having the arrows to tell you how close another racer is and being able to see "through your nose" is very helpful to keep from crashing into a fellow racer next to you or below you. However some Air Racers do fly with cockpit on. To each his own.
In combat I keep my cockpit on always for immersion.

I do have one question. Out of curiosity, do aerobatic teams such as Silver Wings fly with cockpit on or off?

J_Weaver
12-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Cockpit always on. The thought of flying without never crossed my mind.

SeaFireLIV
12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
I like to have cockpit on inbetween.

Chivas
12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Do yourself a favor,take the time and make the effort to fly with full cockpit. After you get the hang of it, I guarantee you will never fly any other way.

-HH- Beebop
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I like to have cockpit on inbetween. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What? Your *** and the ground? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Good one!

Slammin_
12-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Wow! What a resounding response! I wonder who all those lewsers on HL flying in the cockpit off servers are?

Really, and to quote reddevil49's response because it does match my own experience:

"I think you will find that most of them leave the pit on to add to the immertion. I myself aways leave it on as that is the way I like to fly. But enjoy the game and fly it any way you enjoy it. I have always believed that the longer some one plays the game the need to make it more of a chalenge will finaly take you to the fr options. Its just a matter of time."

No slinging there and no put-downs. Really, cockpit off is a great way to learn this sim, including deflection shooting and especially BFM. I'm glad the option is there because it really does expand the audience of our hobby.

Just think if the option were not there!

NawlinzVoodoo
12-22-2004, 08:57 PM
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">Thanks guys for the input. That was main 2 thoughts with the cockpit, having the real effect of realism and also seeing the beauty of the detail in the pits. I have been flying more with the pit on and the TrackIR is better with the pit on. Like SCen said, their are some shots that you would never make with the cockpit on, so I am learning with the cockpit on. What is really funny is that when I fly Lock-On, I never turn the cockpit on, strange!! Thanks guys for your input.</span>

NawlinzVoodoo
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Cool, that`s a new hot topic http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I guess after you posted over 7390 messages and probably read twice that, then I guess every topic becomes redunant,my apologies Ivan. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Die_Hard1
12-22-2004, 10:02 PM
I like to fly pit on, but sometimes I just like to admire my killing machine.

Tully__
12-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I fly both. When I first started my PC was struggling to produce acceptable performance with cockpit on, however since a major upgrade I often choose to fly in multiplayer games where "no-cockpit" is not an option.

ploughman
12-23-2004, 06:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> quote:Originally posted by crazyivan1970:
Cool, that`s a new hot topic Big Grin

Well, I guess after you posted over 7390 messages and probably read twice that, then I guess every topic becomes redunant,my apologies Ivan. Hammer <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you'd better watch it Mr CrazyIvan1970 or we'll start posting threads about .50s taking out Tiger tanks and destroyers and stuff and you'll have to live through another 25 pages of uninformed drivel all over again.

lucas_valentine
12-23-2004, 07:37 AM
Since I got TrackIR 6 months ago I have tended to fly cockpit on. As has been said earlier, with cockpit off you do tend to lose orientation easily. I have cockpit off assigned to one of my joystick buttons, so that in a sticky situation I can change. I love flying the Hayate, but lets face it, the sight view is very difficult to aim with. In reality you could physically move your head around to see your target, but most of the time in game you end up shooting a target which is actually below your field of vision. If I'm up against a slippery target I switch to cockpit off for the kill and then back to cockpit afterwards. With cockpit on you can fly straighter, land easier, judge stalls better and you can be more aware of whats going on around you. You also get to see some fantastic cockpits and you can keep an eye on how much fuel you have and how the engine is behaving. If there was a control for moving the pilots position around, then I would probably use cockpit on exclusivley.

Gr7_Bizu-RO
12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
always on..but i,m surprise about how many people pretend to do so on-line.My filter option is set for cockpit on and barrely finds
a server or two with few players.Couple more on
Hyperlobby but still. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif The rest is arcade.

MustangManiac
12-23-2004, 11:08 AM
I fly with cockpit always on. I didn't even know there would be an option to fly without the cockpit, until recently...

FRAGAL
12-23-2004, 11:42 AM
both for me, pit on for takeoffs/landings and flight and ground pounding, off when in dogfights as i find it to restrictive otherwise

Weather_Man
12-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I've been happily flying without a cockpit for 3 years. Have never been able to adjust to the restricted view option and probably never will.

It's still fun, yes indeedy. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Soemtimes I like to look at the little whirly dial thingees

SeaFireLIV
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
I like to have cockpit on inbetween. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I was in a crappy mood. As most the old guys here will know, I never fly without the cockpit. More realistic and why put all that cockpit graphic effort to waste?

I even fly with no HUD and rely just on the dials.

Chuck_Older
12-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Seafire likes the whirly dial thingees too http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Sometimes I like to know how much petrol is in my kite, and no-cockpit really disorients me

RoughRaider1
12-23-2004, 03:29 PM
I used to be where I would always want the cockpit on, but I'm kinda past that and will turn it off if I feel like it to help me get a kill. Generaly I'll have it on until I'm about to open up on a target, then I'll turn it off and zoom in. You don't see much cockpit even in cockpit on mode zoomed in all the way anyways.
As far as immersion, I find more immersion when I'm not restricted by my view more so then when flying for real. Yes cockpit off does let you see more, but flying a sim always seemed more restrictive in general then real flying. Something they teach you when you go for your licence is to use any means available to assist you when ever you can but don't rely on any of them. If I could have turned the cockpit off in the Citabria I flew I would have. So I guess I don't need to prove to myself that I can fly with the cockpit on anymore. I also enjoy flying with it off sometimes and using external views just to enjoy the view.
Don't get me wrong, I've been on the cockpit on full realism only bandwagon myself before, but I'm not so strick on myself anymore. I like it on most of the time, because it looks cool, and it gives you more of a seat of the pants feel.
But leaving it on, isn't going to make you any better of a pilot, other then the fact of being better with it on.
It's all about getting the most enjoyment out of the game with what you have. Whether or not you leave it on of off or in between.
You should though however fly with it on-only sometimes as well and learn to be comfortable with it. Afterwards I dont think you need to restrict yourself to it if you don't want to or of course unless a online server is set up that way.

J30Vader
12-23-2004, 04:27 PM
What he said.

catrevey
12-23-2004, 07:06 PM
I presently fly both ways concerning the cockpit view. For a combat situation I prefer the HUD view which provides the essential data with a less restricted view. I can maneuver tactically better whereas with the pit on I simply roll and turn constantly to try and find the bogey thus limiting my combat options. Good SA and field of vision are keys to success. Enjoy either views as they both have merit. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tB_Blueknight
12-23-2004, 09:05 PM
Personally I prefer cockpit off, call it what you want but anything that can be played on a 300 dollar or so computer and only cost 40 bucks isnt a true sim, great for the money but nothing compared to what militaries actually use. The FATS system we occasionally get to train on at work is much more immersive to me, most likely because the screen is close to life size compared to my 17" pc monitor. I wonder how many people who fly cockpit would continue to fly cockpit only with out the tracker IR ? I like visibilty and see it as an advantage in playing the game.

MZ6
12-23-2004, 09:30 PM
I like flying with cockpit on but... if your in an online game where no cockpit is allowed, flying with a cockpit puts you at a disadvantage, also you can't move your head up or to the side the way you can in a real plane.

Atomic_Marten
12-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I fly both.

Lethal_Hobo
12-23-2004, 11:14 PM
I have it off, mainly because I lack a good viewing device (I am just using a hatswitch), buT I do plan to get TrackIR for that reason, plus external views is like cheating to me. This also blows for online play, because I am at a severe disadvantage to other players. It's like im flying with a broken neck or a half blind pilot, NOT FUN.

Ronin_3ra2004
12-24-2004, 04:27 AM
Sorry guys but this is a SIM.You all know what is a SIM? cockpit view on always,no externals etc etc etc, if you dont like go to play CFS3 or Harry Potter world of fantasy

-HH- Beebop
12-24-2004, 09:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ronin_3ra2004:
Sorry guys but this is a SIM.You all know what is a SIM? cockpit view on always,no externals etc etc etc, if you dont like go to play CFS3 or Harry Potter world of fantasy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here we are in the midst of yet ANOTHER debate. Ronin, it's not a sim, meaning simulator. Simulators usually have several screens for the periphial vision effect. Simulators simulate the force of gravity through movement. I yet to feel anything more that 1 G pulling me straight down and the only thing that moves is the swivel office chair in front of the computer desk.
It's---a---game!. And as such Oleg has kindly placed several levels of playability, more commonly known as 'Difficulty', in the...........game.

I fail to understand why people get so overwrought at somone who chooses to fly in what is percieved to be an 'Easy' mode. "Wonder Woman" view or not if the full FM is turned on the plane is as hard to fly with the cockpit on as off. I guess some people are just afraid that they'll get their virtual butts handed to them in a game of AirQuake by a pilot who is flying with an "advantage". I had just as hard a time shooting down planes whether in WW view or in cockpit when I started out. (can't say my markmanship has improveed that much with all this practice though, LOL). For you folks I say, think of the added thrill knowing you just shot down someone who "used the WW cheat" and had an "unfair advantage" over you. Now that makes us feel better, yes?

Good reasons for cockpit on:
a) immersion
b) added realism
c) the added challange

Bad reasons to fly with cockpit on:
d) someone was upset with me that I didn't
e) I felt intimidated by someone I don't know
f) I don't want to be perceived as a "noob"
g) It's how "Real" pilots fly

I've read some interesting reasons why people fly without the cockpit in this thread. Some of them are perfectly sensible. Personally I fly with the cockpit on all the time but I could care less how you fly. What I do care about is that I'm flying with someone who's having fun, not someone who's stewing becuase they think someone else is "cheating"

I know it probably won't happen, but let's grow up and let (mostly) adults play this game the way they want to.

Chuck_Older
12-24-2004, 10:09 AM
???

PF/FB is a type of game called a sim, which is short for Simulation, not Simulator. A Simulator, they tell me, typically includes a cockpit that duplicates the actual aircraft's pilot position and is usually associated with commercial and/or military flight training

PF/FB is indeed a simulation; the title uses fact, not fantasy, to govern the mathematical equations used to interpret flight, damage, and physics modelling. In every case, modelling uses authentic documentation to back up the work; if enough info isn't at hand, the a/c doesn't get to be player-usable

You may not like the limitations imposed on aircraft in the sim due to current technology. You may disagree with flight, physics, or damage modelling in PF/FB

But it is still a simulation. It is a type of game that simulates flight. It does this fairly well, and for proof of that I need look no further than the comments of a man named Charles Brown, who has more time in real warbird cockpits in actual flight than anyone here. He says it's pretty good. I beleive him, because he has the credentials to lend his words weight. Also, does anyone know about Oleg Maddox's aeronautical background besides me?

This product we mess around with on our PCs is a game that simulates flight. I have another game that simulates driving a race car, and another that simulates a WWII Uboat.

It's a game, and it's also a simulation. Deal with it, move on, enjoy life. "Game" and "Simulation" are not mutually exclusive

Bearcat99
12-24-2004, 10:28 AM
My take is fly however you like. I prefer to fly in servers that leave the decision to me...... I like the cockpit and sometimes I dont want to be bothered with it. I use TIR so it isnt an issue. I prefer not to limit myself. It all depends on my mood...and I dont look down on anyone and I refuse to use derogatory terms for people who prefer no pit. Or laber them as "arcade" flyers.

The-Gauntlet
12-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I flew with the cockpit view off until I got into the multiplayer. Because so many servers require you to have it on, I've gotten used to it. Besides, it makes it a little more interesting when you have to deal with the numerous blindspots that exist.

Atomic_Marten
12-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I just enjoy to see all the 'neat' attitudes of some guys. I just wonder what makes them to write that. I have good expression in my Croatian language for that, but I remember one line in old Maddona's song which seems to give good description -&gt; "papa don't preach..."

TROOPER117
12-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Marten! Responding to your post. Yeah, I know what you mean! But some people are quite passionate about the whole thing.
I think it boils down to this. If you want full realism, cockpit always on. Then only fly on a server with FR!
If you want external views enabled or anything else, then go on an appropriate server.
Me, always cockpit on. Thats the way I always want to play, seems a shame not too! but I don't have a go at anyone else because they like to play a different way!!
Have a good one. Merry Xmas, lol http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Zneg1
12-24-2004, 01:22 PM
I fly with cockpits on exclusively and only mostly go into HL servers with 'cockpits only'.

However I do BREAK this habit when I join J.Reb's 'DOGFIGHT FURBALL's which I enjoy even if I get shot down more than I bring down http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

SUPERAEREO
12-24-2004, 01:28 PM
I fly both with cockpit on and off, it depends on the servers.

Cockpit on adds a lot to the immersion but I have some reservations about the "realism" of it, mainly because your field of view as it is is restricted to about 60' or so in the sim, and the only way to call that "realistic" would be imagining fighter pilots with impaired vision, which is absurd in itself.

Cockpit on is seen as more macho, I guess... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

S!

TROOPER117
12-24-2004, 02:52 PM
C'mon you guys, when we refer to 'full realism' in the game, everyone knows that no matter how good your graphics are, or how sophisticated your technology becomes in the IT world, there is just no way we will ever be able to produce a 'simulator' or 'simulation game' that is just like the real thing!! Its just a saying. Lets get 'real' about this.
I'm lucky, because I have the chance to experience being in a real aircraft at low level, being stood on its wing tips for a couple of hours at a time! And there is no way you are ever going to be able to reproduce that in any kind of sim. However, knowing that, I still feel totaly 'immersed' in the whole WWII flight sim scene when I play IL2 'inside' a Hurricane Mk1!
Its the closest I can get to a second world war fighter, can everyone understand that?
I'm not trying to be big or pompous, but thats why I love this kind of game!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

JG27_Tanker
12-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Ok guys I thought that if you bought a Sim yea had only 1 way of flying, no exceptions. I wouldn't give it the time of day.
As for myself I cant see well enough for full real, thats my problem.

Isn't what we fly here is to have FUN? Then if not ... why the heck do it?

~S~ Tank

VW-IceFire
12-24-2004, 06:56 PM
Pit off...you get to admire your plane that way!

flemsha
12-25-2004, 03:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NawlinzVoodoo:
<span class="ev_code_YELLOW">I was just wondering how many of you leave the cockpit view on all the time or how many disable this option. I see in some lobbies on Hyper that you have to fly with cockpit on. I'm so use to turning it off when I go into combat that this is really hard to get use to. Are their alot of servers on Hyper that use the 'cockpit always on' option?</span> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used to fly in wonder woman view, as I found it easier to keep track of my foes. Since I got PF however I decided that it was a waste not taking advantage of those cockpit visuals, so I kept the cockpits on, and after adapting I found that my shooting was better, I found it easier to keep my head oriented with the canopy there and the acemaker sites in the P-51D were a nice touch http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Nothing better than setting the wingspan, setting the distance placing the pipper over the target and watching it flame up in a hail of bullets. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

t0n.
12-25-2004, 04:13 AM
I don't think any less of people who play without the Pit but let's not pretend we're playing the same game or, for that matter, flying the same planes.

Any resemblance is purely superficial.